Philosophical question for Khorn/LaScala owners

Coytee

Just for kicks, let's presume that you do NOT currently own your Khorns or LaScalas. Let's presume you own any Klipsch that is NO LARGER than Cornwalls. Let's also presume that you have "decent" electronics. Not "world class" but not trash either. For more fun, let's presume it might even be solid state.

I'm wondering.... if you had enough cash in pocket to make a SINGLE purchase to futher yourself towards your sonic goal, would you recommend to yourself:

1. Keeping the same electronics you have and make your purchase a pair of Klipschorns or LaScalas/Belle's

2. Keep your existing speakers and upgrade your (Brand X) preamp/amp to perhaps a tube preamp/amp?

In other words.... if you could only make ONE change, would you prefer to have your Khorns mated with a 'decent' preamp/amp or would you rather have your smaller speakers mated with a fantastic preamp/amp?

Remember....just for kicks & grins.... you can only make ONE purchase so you are stuck with one or the other and can't make any changes for several more years.

I'm curious as to which choice you might make and why. I'll admit that I'm expecting 99% of Khorn/LaScala/Belle owners to choose the speaker upgrade over electronics. Since I don't really know that to be true, I thought I'd ask.

[:D]

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lordy, that's easy. Nothing can sound any better than the loudspeaker that transduces it to the air. Gimme a 40.00 battery CD player, a 50.00 Sonic T amp, and Klipschorns and I'll trash your hundred k amp, preamp, and CD player on almost any other speaker.

Facetiously, I'd suggest that anyone here that doesn't basically agree with that is in the wrong forum...

Dave

Facetiously, I'd suggest that anyone here that doesn't basically agree with that is in the wrong forum...

Yes, but...are there "lost souls" floating about the forum? I see multi-$K amps, cables/wires, tube CD preamps, etc. that's got to cost 5-10K or more, and folks are driving, well, let's just say, ~Khorns + ~La Scalas + ~Belles. If you add up their total gear cost, then look at their investment in speakers, sometimes it is as bad as 10:1 in the wrong direction. Why spend $2-4K on tube preamps and amps and $400 on speakers? [*-)]

Well, I got that off my chest. I'm now ready to put on some good tunes tonight. [D]

Chris

Yes, but...are there "lost souls" floating about the forum? I see multi-$K amps, cables/wires, tube CD preamps, etc. that's got to cost 5-10K or more, and folks are driving, well, let's just say, ~Khorns + ~La Scalas + ~Belles. If you add up their total gear cost, then look at their investment in speakers, sometimes it is as bad as 10:1 in the wrong direction. Why spend $2-4K on tube preamps and amps and $400 on speakers? Confused

Well, I got that off my chest. I'm now ready to put on some good tunes tonight. Drinks

Chris

Very simple, IMHO. Because they CAN, and because it makes them happy. I'd do likewise if I had money to burn and no kids. OTOH, I rather doubt I'd hear a huge difference...I haven't yet heard anything that made me want to put my present stuff out on the curb.

Dave

Well, I consider myself a very lucky and fortunate person to be able to have the means to provide myself with, the equipment I have. VRD, Peach, MC275, C-34V, MC7200, C-29, Khorns, DBB and Belles.

I believe I have reached the point of dimishing returns, could I get better, maybe, but God knows how much I would have to spend to get there and if I did have something else I don't think I could I hear the difference. My 63 year old ears just love what I have,so

I think I will just keep what I have.

CigarBum

Just for kicks, let's presume that you do NOT currently own your Khorns or LaScalas. Let's presume you own any Klipsch that is NO LARGER than Cornwalls. Let's also presume that you have "decent" electronics. Not "world class" but not trash either. For more fun, let's presume it might even be solid state.

I'm wondering.... if you had enough cash in pocket to make a SINGLE purchase to futher yourself towards your sonic goal, would you recommend to yourself:

1. Keeping the same electronics you have and make your purchase a pair of Klipschorns or LaScalas/Belle's

GET OUT OF MY BRAIN!

"I'd do likewise if I had money to burn and no kids".

Now I'm confused.

Chris

Well, without mentioning any specific component in my playback chain so as to keep this in the philosphical realm, there are several I could replace with things costing 10 times more where I would not hear a really significant improvement in accuracy. If you've read me before, you know what I mean by that. Many learn to hear certain extremely subtle differences between various components and components of components. Eventualy, they get good enough to the point they think the rest of us are quite deaf. However, what they are hearing are rarely (IMHO) differences in accuracy, but in other areas. Take a painting in bright, diffuse light. Then look at it in bright, coherent light. The lumens measure will be the same...but the painting will look different. I submit that both views are "accurate" for their context.

Accuracy can be achieved with the cheap and ugly and the audiophile reputation as a spendthift is not deserved by all of us. I am quite happy.

What I meant was, that if cost were no object, I wouldn't care if I heard no difference between my VPI and a Rockport. I'd have the Rockport just because I could.

Dave

3. I'd buy a bloody record store.

Sorry to say but "Manson Records" has been out of business for awhile. They did however, have a clever motto.... I think it was something like "We'll stab them and you spin them" or something like that [:^)]

3. I'd buy a bloody record store.

Some days are better than others, but I thought we were talking about wise investments, that will bring years of pleasure?

Record Stores are for OCD, anti social, Vinyl Junkies like myself that they could no longer function is the real world or work place and still needed a means to feed their ever growing habit as well as themselves on rare occasions.

I wouldn't trade it for anything, but would never recomend it to anyone.lol

Having started with k horns and some pretty average electronics(in terms of what is used on this forum) and worked my way up the peach/vrd stuff I can say that the question is legitimate. The tube electronics were definitely an OMG upgrade as was the 2" horn- JBL driver-ALK universal upgrade to the K horns themselves.

No doubt that tubes are a huge upgrade but the fact remains that K horns- belles and lascallas soung great with the most basic electronics.I heard a set of Belles hooked to a 10 dollar mini amp and a worn out old CD player the other day and the Belles sounded amazing.

Speakers win hands down.