Tube Newb Question....12AX7 and 12AX7A

SWL

Actually, it's quite refreshing. i'd venture most readers can discern the factual posters from the others..

Don't let a loudmouth or two speak for the rest of us who enjoy the info!

Thanks! But it seems like for evey one person that finds it refreshing 10 others find it abrasive and offonsive. This instance is a classic example... All I did was state the truth. This poster who happens to be a customer of mine found it offensive that it did not go along with his half truths. What does a guy do?

Craig

Thanks Arky But it looks like I'm going to have to quit again.. My Paul Klipsch no BS style tends to piss some people off. What can I say Smile

Don't you dare, I like it especially when you know just what you are talking about[;)] I go round and round with both a bass and guitar player here at my work on this very subject and I find most musician's I have talked too can't dissiminate between amps for instruments and amps for musical playback[:|]

They both want the best from their amps/tubes but they also live at the opposite ends of the spectrum! Doh[li] Say the Kaiser did not say that[:-*]

Hey Craig. I am with the others. I love to see you posting. Its nice to get some real info rather than bs from posers. BTW the mod you did on my Merlin is frickin amazing. Highly recommended to all Merlin owners out there!

Josh

Josh,

Thanks! I was thinking about you the other day and almost gave you a call but then got side tracked. I was wondering what you thought about the Merlin after I sent it back. They sure do respond well to the upgrades!

Craig

I was wondering what you thought about the Merlin after I sent it back. They sure do respond well to the upgrades!

Craig

Okaaayyyyy! What did you do? They are pretty amazing to start with, regardless of cost.

You getting more fishing done? That would certainly be better than getting involved in arguments here. [:)]

Bruce

Bruce,
I get a good bit a fishin in! I usually go in the evening. My brother and I were on the lake until 2AM the other night. Limited out on Wallayes. Come on up and visit for a few days. We have two guest rooms.
Well the Merlin Mods are pretty extensive. After all the merlin line stage is basically identical to the BBX it just does not have supporting power supply or hi quality parts in the signal path. Beef the PS up and install some nice signal path parts and you have a BBX/Peach killer in the small box. Its kind a rough to fit it all in there but I'm sneaky that way LOL!!
Craig

Fini,

Yea I do. The circuit upgrade is $300 which includes reworking the power supply for a choke and upgrading the power supply size, Installing power supply bypass film caps, replacing the signal path parts. Then I have also installed panel mount RCA jacks for the 2 line level inputs and the outputs. I do not replace the tape loop they stay on the circuit board. This adds $75 to the project for very basic gold RCA jacks. If the customer wants some high end RCA jacks that can be done for the extra costs of the jacks. The signal path caps used will be Auricaps if the customer wants something even more high end that is also an option for the additional costs of the parts. Of course the above prices are plus shipping costs.

I could also rework the Merlin for a 6H30 is the customer wanted. I'd imagine $75 would cover that (with the above upgrade only). It requires complete disassemby to get the circuity board out.

Craig

Man, IB should have sent his Merlin to you instead of letting it go which I know he regrets this will only intensify that remorse[:o] I'm even hurtin' for ya T-Man[:'(] I love the simplicity of the Merlin, truly a looks can be decieving piece[:o] Now to think a BBX lurks inside is even more amazing[Y]

Craig, alright I'm almost afraid to ask this..............if someone had an original Peach that Mark upgraded to put the super tube in it, what type of additional mods would be availbale for that, and what difference would they make? Right now that someone has the original Hoviland caps still. This unit was sent to Mark twice for upgrades as newer generation Peach circuits came out, but they were noise reduction related upgrades + the super tube upgrade and not audio signal path nor power supply type upgrades.

Craig, alright I'm almost afraid to ask this..............if someone had an original Peach that Mark upgraded to put the super tube in it, what type of additional mods would be availbale for that, and what difference would they make? Right now that someone has the original Hoviland caps still. This unit was sent to Mark twice for upgrades as newer generation Peach circuits came out, but they were noise reduction related upgrades + the super tube upgrade and not audio signal path nor power supply type upgrades.

Rest Easy..... zip, zero, nada... the Peach already has it all under the hood.... The BBX and Peach line stages are pretty much the same thing.

Craig

I find your no bs perspective very refreshing.

I'm a transplanted Michigander who learned to solder with Dad on a LK-72 and a LT-111 which I still have but not operational. We purchased the kits from that funky electronics store next to the hobby shop in downtown Flint in the mid sixties.

Would love to buy you a Flint Coney some time.

Take good care.

Bruce, or anyone who is thinking about the Merlin upgrade, do it. Major improvement, I had the BBX and the Merlin at the same time and the little brick comes really close w/ the upgrades. The RCA plugs are worht the extra.

Tom

I don't doubt what you say, but I had a BBX here along with the Merlin, and the Merlin matches my Moondogs a whole lot better. With the Amperex 6DJ8, the Merlin in my system is much better than what I was getting out of the BBX. Besides that, the money is pretty tight... [:(] May try it some day.

Bruce

Bruce,

If the Merlin in stock form sounded better with your Moondogs then with a BBX then I would not advise you do anything to the Merlin. I know why this would be but I think it would just cause trouble if I posted it here.

Craig