What're you driving your Forte IIs with?

First of all I have to say I am completely amazed by these speakers. Mine are stock save Crites xovers (which did indeed transform them). I'll be damned if I don't think they're better than K-horns. Flame away. Do the K-horns have a tractrix mid horn? The fortes seem to have less harshness (almost none) and the bass is much tighter. Admittedly I had the K-horns almost a year ago and had only one good corner - I know that means I did not get the bass performance I should have. Anyway that is not really here nor there. These things are great, not just for the money but in absolute terms, and I've owned numerous speakers in the $5-$10K range.

Current system is an Audio Note DAC 3.1 (built by me), custom-built JE Labs full-function pre, and First Watt F3 (a 15W single-ended transistor amp). I will soon have a JE Labs 45 SET amp as well. I'm wondering how well the 45 will drive them. (Well, the guy building my amp uses Fortes so I know it does a decent job at least.)

Are there a lot of people happy with 45/2A3 SE amps with Fortes? I know there are a lot of you using these speakers with various push-pull transistor amps with moderate-high feedback.. I'm sure it can sound good but you don't know what you're missing. :)

I don't have Forte II's at the moment (have Forte's) but have owned them in the recent past.

I am driving my Forte's at the moment with a Sansui 9090Db receiver and loving it. I have them in the bedroom.

I have pushed the Forte's and the Forte II's at different times with my McIntosh MC2105/C26, B&K ST1400 Series II/PT3 combo's, Harman Kardon HK430, Marantz 2275 and Luxman R-117 receivers and found they sound pretty awesome with all of these old pieces.

I however, did not try them with my Scott 299D. That will have to be the next experience.

Tom

Adcom GTP 500 II preamp tuner, and Adcom GFA 5802 amplifier. Sounds great to my ears, never thought of changing my forte II. Although I am on my third Adcom amp. Originally when new, fortes that is I was using an Adcom GFA 555 II, then went to an Adcom GFA 5500, finally settled on the 5802. Full Mofset circuitry for that tube sound. 300 WPC continuous into 8ohms, 450 WPC into 4 ohms. Set for a while with my system.

Yamaha RX-396, an entry level two channel receiver. It does the job very well. In fact, that receiver plays better with the Klipsch than any of the other speakers around the house.

I've also used a pair of Decware Zen amps (se84c+ w/ Hazen mods) as monoblocks. They lack the grip of the ss receiver in the bass registers, but they do the SET thing (read: sonic holography to die for) on the rest of the signal. I'm currently using the Zens to drive the highs on a bi-amped system.

Some day I may bi-amp the forte's in the same manner, to get the best of both worlds.

And I agree, Paul. Forte ii's kick ***, don't they? Welcome to the club.

• Moderators

You cant go wrong with Sansui and Klipsch ! Its a great combo.

I love looking at that pic with all those Sansui's ! [H]

I had one once it was an 8080, I am sorry I didn't keep it !

I am driving my Forte II's with a NOS Valves deluxe rebuilt Scott 299 A second edition, my Forte's have an upgraded xover system from popbumber here on the forum. I think the Forte's are great speakers and I really do like them but, sound better than my k-horns!!! Not on your life you can not even compare the two, night and day difference period!!!

Jay

I am driving my Forte II's with a NOS Valves deluxe rebuilt Scott 299 A second edition, my Forte's have an upgraded xover system from popbumber here on the forum. I think the Forte's are great speakers and I really do like them but, sound better than my k-horns!!! Not on your life you can not even compare the two, night and day difference period!!!

Jay

A Korneff 45 - you have good taste!

But your Fortes are better than your K-horns.

Even PWK preferred the Forte to the K-horn and stated so in public at least 1,000 times.

Jay

A Korneff 45 - you have good taste!

But your Fortes are better than your K-horns.

Even PWK preferred the Forte to the K-horn and stated so in public at least 1,000 times.

I have 6 Khorns and no Forte"s, what does that tell you !