Changed from Heritage to Reference, need amp but which one

USNRET

This week I changed my living room HT out from 3 Belles across the front to an RF-83/RC-64 set up. Still using RS-7s on the sides (really a rear/side position).

I immediately noticed that I need more horsepower so I am searching for the best fit for TV/movies in 5.1 mode. No two channel use in this room and I lost a lot in the musicality so this is for HT only.

Current setup:

Denon AVR-4306 > SMS-1 > SVS PB-12/plus2

With the Belles I had used NAD, Onkyo and Denon AVRs all of the approximate power and MSRP; the current Denon 4306 won out as the Onkyo and NAD sounded lean or thin.

I also tried a McIntosh MC-7205 (5 channel) amp with a MX-132 and the Denon AVR as a pre/pro. While 'better' it was not so much so that in HT mode it did not justify keeping when I could sell and make a few bucks in order to buy the Peach and VRD to use in two channel.

I can sell my AVR-4306 for $800 locally and can afford an additional $1000.

So for all my brethren out in Klipsch world that have experience with the '83/64 type setup the question is which way to go from here. I do not need bells and whistles just a solid 5.1 AVR, amp(s) to use with the Denon or pre/pro and amps.

I need no more than 3 HDMI inputs, 5.1 channels and a 1080P feed to the TV. I could potentially use our PS-3, XBox 360, WII and home networking but those items are currently used in other rooms.

Ideally I am looking for someone that has heard the Denon AVR family with the 83's and then moved on to other amps for input. My impression so far vs. the Belles is better left / right / center cohesion and better 'movement of sound' across the front BUT the center dialog is not as crisp and as stated above the SPL is not up to par (where loud enough was -7 or -8 it's now + 2 dB).

Please note that this observations are in a room not suited for anything other than a crystal radio but it is what it is. OH please give me my man cave back with my 5 Belles!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you are enjoying the Denon but it doesn't have enough power so a external amp should be the ticket. I never had a Denon AVR as I went from a Sony into Outlaw separates.

If an amp is what you are looking for Emotiva is getting all the new talk, Outlaw has work for my RF-83 setup, Sunfire amp would work and gets high praise.

I can see what you are talking about the center dialog not as crisp. You are going from a full speaker to a center channel and a totally different sound all together.

James

If an amp is what you are looking for Emotiva is getting all the new talk, Outlaw has work for my RF-83 setup, Sunfire amp would work and gets high praise.

James

I agree with the Emotiva recommendation, it seems you are happy with the Denon it just needs more power. I think you should try adding an Emotiva XPA-3 it will really bring your Denon to life powering your fronts and center. Your surrounds will also get new life when the Denon's amps power them without needing to power the front 3 anymore.

No receiver alone is going to bring this type of power to your system, you'll love what it will do!

Great way to start would be with something like the Emotiva XPA-3 like others have stated. Brand new from Emotiva will run $624 including shipping. Pre-owned they usually sell for $450-550.

Then if you still want to get a different receiver you'll have over $1100 to invest in it.

Just 2 cents from the peanut gallery.... a Sunfire Theater Grand is hard value to beat for any HT system that needs more power. Worth a look. IIRC, used market is typically in the $600 range. http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunfire-Cinema-Grand-5-Channel-Power-Amplifier-400-WPC-/290461971903?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2#ht_2541wt_706

With respect, most used 400 watt Sunfire amps sell for way more than $600. One might get the 200 watt x 5 version for $600-700.

It's gonna be hard to beat Emotiva/warranty unless you go used for a bargain.You can listen as long as you want and get most of your money back if you move on.I had an Emo amp two years,moved up and I lost $50.

id go cheaper with a receiver (as they lose value quickly) and spend more on amp, marantz 5004 can be had on slickdeals refurbed for 450? or a new 7002 on amazon for 600, or onkyo 508 on newegg for 280 pretty much the newer bells and whistles without cracking the bank 3+hdmi, and then grab an amp with 200+ power or just search slickdeals for a receiver suiting needs, they can be had for good prices, i personally wouldnt waste money on a high dollar receiver with a big power section as you wont be using it, or go with emotiva umc and xpa5 i think they have the kinks out of the umc now and another update adding all stereo mode next week i beleive

I like Emo as well, But If I had to do it again I would get a XPA-5. It would be cheaper in the long run because you might want a pre-amp in the near future.

i agree..wish i would have gotten the xpa5 now, instead of the xpa3...i'll sell ya my xpa3Big Smile..then id go get a 5, lol

Thanks for all the input my friends.

I have been looking at Emo for a long while now. jrgreene you make me a deal I CAN NOT refuse on the XPA-3 and then well, I could not refuse.

I looked around at the Carvers as suggested but I don't know enough about the value so if they are not what I am looking for I might pay too much to recoup.

I looked around at the Carvers as suggested but I don't know enough about the value so if they are not what I am looking for I might pay too much to recoup.

May also be hard to find a local buyer if it doesn't fit your needs.

I have a sunfire 200 x 5 and it works fine as hell. That said, that Sunfire on Ebay and mine were made in the mid nineties. Better to try an Emotiva. Newer, easier to sell/recoup.

I bought an XPA-3 for $350 in my area two weeks ago. Only six months into its warranty. Woot!

I like Emo as well, But If I had to do it again I would get a XPA-5. It would be cheaper in the long run because you might want a pre-amp in the near future.

i agree..wish i would have gotten the xpa5 now, instead of the xpa3...i'll sell ya my xpa3Big Smile..then id go get a 5, lol

Thanks for all the input my friends.

I have been looking at Emo for a long while now. jrgreene you make me a deal I CAN NOT refuse on the XPA-3 and then well, I could not refuse.

if you lived a little closer, i would be able to make you a deal[:D], neither one of us would do to good, after ups gets there share though, lol