Suggestions on New TV

Mallette

>Do you have a HDMI 1.4 receiver and player or are you trying to future proof your display purchase?

Audio guy. Not sure about the issues of various levels of HDMI. I do not own anything that requires it, and the only HDMI outputs I've used I employed HDMI to DVI adapters and run the audio separately. My current main LCD TV is 5 years old and I have it connected this way.

Dave

I asked because your source, receiver and display all have to be HDMI 1.4 in order to play, pass and display 3D. Just buying the TV doesn't get you there.

Plasma technology has matured greatly over the years such that image retention is not the problem it once was.

That's my take as well. But price/peformance and a dynamic range LCD's can't touch at anywhere near the price are the real impetus.

Dave

Image retention is not a problem with todays quality made plasma TV's, Panasonic makes the most reliable trouble free displays. Also at any price range LCD doesn't match the picture quality available on a plasma display for realistic cinema. LCD does excellent with animation and graphics but does poorly with shading and skin tones for cinema, plasma has a much more realistic picture.

I could not decide between the Samsung LCD and the Panasonic Plasma. So, I ended up getting one of each. I got the Samsung for the bedroom and the Panasonic for the basement. There is without a doubt, no comparison between the two. The plasma has the best picture. Don't get me wrong, the Samsung LCD is great, and we love it. But, the Panasonic has the best picture. Do not worry about burn in or image retention. I was also concerned about the power consumption and heat, but it is a non issue. The tv stays nearly as cool as the lcd. The new plasmas are awesome.

• Like 1

I asked because your source, receiver and display all have to be HDMI 1.4 in order to play, pass and display 3D. Just buying the TV doesn't get you there.

10-4. So that makes it a decision to assume the need to upgrade something already as good as my ears need for something my eyes may or may not need.

I'm thinkn' about it...

Dave

I could not decide between the Samsung LCD and the Panasonic Plasma. So, I ended up getting one of each. I got the Samsung for the bedroom and the Panasonic for the basement. There is without a doubt, no comparison between the two. The plasma has the best picture. Don't get me wrong, the Samsung LCD is great, and we love it. But, the Panasonic has the best picture. Do not worry about burn in or image retention. I was also concerned about the power consumption and heat, but it is a non issue. The tv stays nearly as cool as the lcd. The new plasmas are awesome.

which Panny did you get?

btw, that picture is only going to get better once you get 200-300 hours on it. and if you're a little adventerous, visit the AVS forums for some calibrations.

my cheap 50" X1 rival those $2k LCD sets in picture quality (especially movies), once it was properly broken in and with calibrations.

i think its only the 6500, just seems more detailed....i only watch the larger one on bluray or hd but it still seems disappointing given pannys undieing support, the blacks are certainly there...but the detail is most certainly lacking, i wish i would have waited a little longer for the 60" leds to drop in price before i pulled the plug on this one

Guys, I started this thread, but it's going to be several months before I pop on anything. This might make a nice "evergreen" thread to post your thoughts on what the best price/performance is on an ongoing basis. In any event, I am just going to check in occasionaily to see what the current favorites are until the time is right to go for it.

At that point, I'll likely post my decision and thoughts after bringing it on line.

Dave

I'm gonna jump in here with interest, too. [:D] We have a 10+ year-old 32" JVC. I'm thinking of a 50" TV. I think I'd like to keep my 5.1 channel Denon AVR-3300 (aso around 10 years old), but upgrade my player to an Oppo blu-ray. Any problems with this set-up? I'm assuming running the video from the Oppo to the TV (bypassing the Denon) would be fine. Oh, there's also cable and Tivo in the mix. Not currently on Comcast's HD plan (or Tivo's), but I guess I'd have to upgrade those, too.

Consider getting a new Mitsubishi DLP (either the 737 or 837 series)...the 60" set on Amazon is $1,069 right now but I frequently see it for sale at under $1,000. No doubt you will be able to get some crazy deals this holiday season.

I have the 2009 model WD65737 which is a 65" DLP (also available in a 60" model WD60737 or WD60837). Dollar for dollar, for a screen of this size, you can't beat it. PERIOD.

Stunning 1080p picture from this tv. Crystal clear, bright bright
colors...absolutely amazing HD display....better than any LCD or plasma
I've seen on display in-store (no exaggeration). Sure you can't wall mount it, but who cares? Most of us have
components, game systems, and cable boxes that require some kind of
stand so you aren't really saving any space at all to have a 3" wide tv, since you are going to need a stand anyway for your components.

These DLPs are not subject to screen burn-in, and are 3D-ready (some require an adapter purchase). Don't be a fool and pay
$3,000 or more for a 65" lcd/plasma, you are just throwing your money
away. Also remember that large LCD & plasmas will cost twice as much
in energy use than DLPs.

Also, these DLPs run on a bulb that after a couple years will dim, but you can buy a new bulb for $99, pop it in, and you basically have a brand new tv again. These DLPs generally carry a good in-home warranty. If something goes wrong during the warranty period, the technician will go to your house to fix it.

Consider getting a new Mitsubishi DLP (either the 737 or 837 series)...the 60" set on Amazon is $1,069 right now but I frequently see it for sale at under $1,000. No doubt you will be able to get some crazy deals this holiday season.

Hunch suggests the 60" one is being cleared out and probably won't be around when I am ready to pop for one. I would also want to VERIFY that the bulb isn't much more than 100 bucks and user replaceable. Some of these are not user replaceable at all, and others are more like 300 bucks or better.

If it were a couple of years from now, laser DLP would probably be cheap and eliminate those and other issues, but it's pricey, if awesome, at the moment. Of course, OLED may be cost effective by then. In theory, a wall size OLED TV could come in a rolll and be quite cheap. Great theory and looking forward to the proof.

I think plasma is still on top price/performance wise at the moment...though I won't rule out DLP until I can do a last minute look at the situation.

Dave

Dave, I know you're not ready to buy yet, but you seem a little like me in the way you research and read about purchases. A word of caution if I may. I took almost a year to decide on my display. The more you research, the more you want to wait for the next improvement which is right around the corner. It's easy to get caught up in the "latest and gereatest" iteration. I was getting to the point that whatever is out here now will be bested shortly, I'm spending a bunch of money, why not wait to eliminate buyers remorse, etc, etc. My 27" SONY looked like it would never get replaced. Finaly, somehow I broke the cycle and took the plunge. I could have been enjoying my new set for months but instead decided to torture myself and agonize over the "what ifs". Bottom line, once you get the money in your pocket, make a call and go get your new TV. Save the aggravation.