Help with New HDMI Receiver Choices

rockhound

Hello- My current setup consist of 2 cornwalls 2 heresy II's a Nakamichi 2A and cambridge CD Player. This setup sounds great when listening to CD's. However I would like to enjoy this great sounding vintage setup all the time. So below are the additional sources I have that I would like to hook up. Seeking advice on a HDMI receiver that will allow me to do this, price point is around 500.00. I would be selling the Nakamichi and replacing, any suggestions?

1. XBOX 360

2. Direct TV Receiver

3. Blu-Ray Player

I've never owned any of the mentioned brands so I'm not loyal to any of them just looking for something that will pair well with my vintage set. Unfortunately we do not have any good electronic stores in my area to listen to different brands. With that said I will most likely be making my decision based upon advice given on this forum and ordering online. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Realistically, any reasonable quality AVP/AVR/AVC (i.e., an audio/visual preamp) should be very transparent in audio if you can bypass or deselect the "theater EQ" functions. The real issues (I've found) compatibility with HDMI, S/PDIF (both digital interfaces) or RCA/XLR (analog) inputs from your input devices (including turntable, if any). I wouldn't buy anything less than about 2-3 years old since the HDMI standard has changed since that time. I would also recommend avoiding any AVPs that have DVI inputs instead of HDMI (e.g., Outlaw Audio 970 AVP, etc.)since DVI typically doen't handle audio streams.

Another area to pay attention to is the DACs: the most recent DACs are pretty darn good (Burr-Brown DACs are good names, etc.). If your AVP is using its processor to do the Codecs, this is not as desirable. Like I said, most new AVPs don't use firmware-processor workarounds, instead using good-quality DACs to do the job.

One problem that you'll find on this forum - few people actually have systematically A-B tested the newest AVPs, so you're basically shopping by brand name first, model number second. I use a Onkyo PR-SC886, which is last year's model, and I couldn't be happier. However, when I get the bug to upgrade to HDMI 1.4, I'll probably have to relegate the Onkyo upstairs and find something that handles the 3-D graphics. But that date may be more than a year into the future...

Chris

If you dont mind pre owned OP take a look at the Onkyo 806 over the 608... It has great preformance/value

Or Onkyo Factory Reconditioned from an authorized dealer and 1.4a compatible but a little more than your budget.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR808/Onkyo/TX-NR808-7.2-Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

Bill

Thanks for all the input. I found a smoking deal on a used Marantz SR7001 so I pulled the trigger, although not the newest I feel it will fit my needs or I hope it will. I'll post back once I have it hooked up. Last thing I need is a center channel to match with my cornwalls (fronts) and Heresey II's (Rears). Anybody run a similar setup with a Academy center?

• 1 month later...

Well I've had the unit hooked up for about a week. It does not have the same sound quality that my Nakamichi TA-2A had. The bass is completely gone no nice ambience either. Its a nice unit but I miss the sound that my old receiver produced, I guess thats the price you pay for a all in one receiver..

Anyone running vintage Klipsch with a modern HDMI receiver? Wonder how the sound is compared to my old TA-2A?

Onkyo 706 Running my MWMs Stacks (see Avatar), Forte Center, and Heresy Rears. Clearn, clear, deep, fast and QUIET, nothing reveals all this better than speakers 4-7 db more efficient than Khorns and mine do.

Sony ST DA 5300ES (six HDMI inputs) running a pair of K Horns R and L and the center La Scala. The four surround LSI's are driven by four Crown XTI's (Active) and the pair of Danleys DTS 10's are driven by a SAE 502 amp, by way of a DriveRack 260 (All fed from the Sony).

To me, and this is just MY opinion, it sounds like the Movie Company is in the HT room filming. Everyone that has auditioned, it is blown away. We use Direct TV running through the Sony from a rack mount DVR and it is great. Listening to the R to R, Tapes, CD's or records, in two channel is as clean as it gets, to these old ears......Needles to say, I am very pleased with the Sony.....!

Your milage may vary..........!

W. C.