Audiovox to purchase the Klipsch group

Rick

Whoever bought McIntosh, I think Clarion, I think has let McIntosh carry on with principles at least somewhat / mostly intact but today's Jensen, AR, and RCA brands (I did not know that RCA was no longer owned by Thomsen ...) don't exactly conjure up thoughts of that's something I want to buy. Maybe a cable in a pinch, but... sad news indeed.

I was looking back at this thread and decided to point something out. Denon, Marantz, and McIntosh (as well as Boston Acoustics) are all owned by D&M Holdings which is Denon and Marantz merger in 2002.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm a Hopeful romantic (pun intended) - I buy Klipsch, but I don't buy new. I prefer the Original Klipsch Heritage line speakers to the new stuff. I just like repair parts to be available for these speakers. My speakers are over 30 years old and still going strong! Buying new just for the sake of it being new is just...dumb, especially with something as suggestive as high-end audio (Trade in a pair of 40year old Khorns for some new RF-83's - I don't think so, or even better yet - Trade old Khorns for new ones - when the old ones were built solid as a rock - as well as the new ones....doesn't make sense). [*-)]

Trade in a pair of 40year old Khorns for some new RF-83's - I don't think so, or even better yet - Trade old Khorns for new ones - when the old ones were built solid as a rock - as well as the new ones....doesn't make sense

There is a substantial difference in quality between the older Khorns and the newer Khorns. Changing from Khorns to Reference is another matter. They are both incredible speakers, but different.

Changing from Khorns to Reference is another matter. They are both incredible speakers, but different.

I beg to differ. The Reference Series is not anywhere near the quality of the Heritage Series. No speaker in the Reference Series can be compared to the Klipschorn, period!

The newer khorns are way better than the old - better voicing in the xovers and then you don't have to deal with the mush of tired diaphragms.

Btw, there are several genres of music where I'd take the RF-7II over the Khorn in a heartbeat.

The newer khorns are way better than the old - better voicing in the xovers and then you don't have to deal with the mush of tired diaphragms.

Btw, there are several genres of music where I'd take the RF-7II over the Khorn in a heartbeat.

This is getting interesting. To neo 33, Marvel, Dr.Who, and any others: What genres of music would you say {in general] sound better on Khorns or RF-7IIs? I haven't heard the II, but I might guess that certain kinds of Rock might sound better on the RF-7, and I think I'd like the Khorns better with classical, romanticist or modern orchestral music, particularly big, dynamic pieces like Pictures at an Exhibition, Fanfare for the Common Man, some film soundtracks, and pipe organ music (even though the Khorn doesn't have the deepest bass extension, there is something about how they do organ ......).

The funniest part of you saying you think orchestral music would sound better on KHorns and Rock on RF-7, is your examples. I always think of Pictures at an Exhibition and Fanfare for the Common Man as the Emerson Lake and Palmer versions. That is loud prog rock in my book and would lose sominthin on RF-7s. Not much though. The RF-7 is a great speaker, especially for the footprint.

Mike,

You might want to explain this statement a bit more to those here who are trying guess your meaning.

I believe that I already understand your position on this subject.

Chris

OK...There's Harley, then there's Fender. CBS (the TV network I think) bought out Fender, owned it for a while, ran it into the ground, could not understand why people quit buying their guitars and amps, and sold it in desperation. WHY they would think that something as ephermeal as fleeting broadcast TV programming would go so well with durable tangible goods is a mystery.

Phase Linear went jokester low-end and some of their people formed RANE, whose equalizers I apparently adore, having bought several. I have an old Phase 400 that I use to run my center channel and my subwoofer, and it has only been in the shop once in the 30-odd years I have owned it, and I got it used. Class-A, good solid-state gear.

Thinking this way, along these lines, I think I read EVERY post in this thread to date, do not remember seeing anyone propose that some of the hobbyists and old heads get together and make a play for the heritage and theatre lines and build audiophile and pro-sound gear, but more importantly, have some FUN!

With the expertise and passion of some of these forum members, the nuts and bolts should be rather easy. As to the finances, the same bunch of people or even a subset, might be able to swing it...as Cletus on the Dukes Of Hazzard TV show used to say, "Many hands make light work". Lots of truth to that.

When things are up in the air would be the best time to do it...and the best approach to the Audiovox folk might be to patiently explain to them that this end of the business is nothing that they know anything about either manufacturing or marketing, and that maybe the best solution would be to either license this end of the business to the "FORUM AUDIO GROUP" or sell it outright...and if they are obstreporous or simply disagreeable and unwilling to do so, then go in business as a competitor of theirs....might even go for tax-exempt status as an educational institution...lots of ways to slice this pie...

Out of the box-edly yours,

Chuck

• Moderators

..and the best approach to the Audiovox folk might be to patiently explain to them that this end of the business is nothing that they know anything about either manufacturing or marketing, and that maybe the best solution would be to either license this end of the business to the "FORUM AUDIO GROUP" or sell it outright.

Klipsch is still Klipsch, and largely the same group of folks in Hope who have been building the Heritage products for decades are still building them. I'm not really sure about your meaning behind that statement, but Audiovox (now Voxx) has been excellent about being "hands-off" in how we run things. It isn't the "end" of anything.

Article from Ark. Business

I think the majority of people were worried at the acquisition initially. So far, VOXX has done a great job letting Klipsch continue independently, and Klipsh has been making its presence more pronounced even. Naming rights, buses and the like. I have been happy with what I have seen. I am fully supportive and have bought my first new klipsch purchases in a while (the android headphones). I continue to point others toward klipsch speakers that fit their budget and application because they seem to be a great deal at every price point so far.

Some people always think change is the end of the world. It is not. Change itself is not good or bad. It just is. So far VOXX has done nothing to tarnish Klipsch. I think that is what most people expected do to other products in the VOXX line that are not up to Klipsch standards (Jensen speakers). People thought that maybe VOXX just wanted the name Klipsch (like the own the phase linear name).