Audiovox to purchase the Klipsch group

Rick

Oh well, the show has started, and might as well buy the popcorn and hope the hero wins, get's the girl, and adopts the loyal stray dog.....

So you saw Shoot 'Em Up? It had a happy ending like that, along with a body count of around 100. Of course they were all bad guys and had it coming.

they could care less about history and heritage unless it is profitable.

Not true. They care to the extent of marketing the legend while creating new products from sharp engineering minds that adhere to the principles. Simple as that, and the current situation proves that it has market value to a bigger player.

Absolutely not true Klipsch has given Hunter time and resources to scan and organize the PWK archives. These are vast as he never tossed out a letter or corespondence. Hunter shared these with us at the last Hope pilgrimage.

they could care less about history and heritage unless it is profitable.

Not true. They care to the extent of marketing the legend while creating new products from sharp engineering minds that adhere to the principles. Simple as that, and the current situation proves that it has market value to a bigger player.

Not true (I agree with Russ).

Audiovox doesn't make anything, really. They don't design/engineer anything either, really. And they are not going to market a "legend".

They are buying a BRAND NAME. And they are going to market a BRAND NAME. Just like all of their other "BRAND NAMES".

Mark my words. Under Audiovox, primary management and resource functions will be moved to NY and integrated with existing Audiovox resources to reduce overhead. R&D technical will be phased out as there will be no more technical development required as Audiovox reduces the Klipsch BRAND NAME to nothing more than a product line which consists of things like iPod accessories, headphones (at least Prof Thump will probably get something significant out of this) and computer/TV monitors (i.e. not necessarily HT, except low-end of course). After that has run it's course it will probably be sold again ~ for it's brand name ~ and then ~ possibly whoever buys it might be interested in reviving the glory. As it stands, Audiovox has not revived nor continued to produce any legendary products of the BRAND NAMES it has purchased. And I don't see it doing anything different with Klipsch.

Businesses are here to make money, they could care less about history and heritage unless it is profitable.

It seems to me the best way to make money over the long run -- decades -- is to continue to produce high quality, especilly at the top(s) of the line. When corporations rely only brand name recognition, without maintaining quality, they sink. Marantz went way downhill in the decades immediately after it left Saul's hands, then eventually came back up. I think corporations would do well to keep (and improve) the old bellweathers of the past, and continue to introduce innovative new products. Mcintosh is now re-manufacturing its old tube classic of about 1968, the 275, while marketing newer 2,000 wt 3 piece solid state amps -- that's boosting the brand name from both ends of the time line. In quite another field, Disney after Walt suffered during the time it just tried to timidly imitate the past without risk or innovation (forgetting that that particular past was full of risk and innovation), then bounced back when they found the courage. But they still preserve their heritage (Fantasia on Blu-ray!). I think Klipsch should maintain a slowly improving Heritage line (certainly including the Klipschorn), a special order line (e.g. Jub), and an innovative new line (e.g., Palladium down to good budget models), keeping the brand worthy of the name.

As it stands, Audiovox has not revived nor continued to produce any legendary products of the BRAND NAMES it has purchased. And I don't see it doing anything different with Klipsch.

If the "legend" were as profitable as the brand name, there wouldn't be a reason to purchase the company.

As I've indicated before, if they continue to produce current models to spec? NOBODY CARES about lineage.

And, if they do not? NOBODY CARES about lineage.

Either way...

Corvettes made in Japan? I hate to say this (regurgatatingly) but they might be better. And I restored many Corvettes.

JJK

10, 20 years ago Corvettes Made in Japan would have been better.

Today NO!

Check Ford and GM against Japan or Korea or anybody for that matter.

Check Consumer Reports, Car Magazines, or any source.

I have a couple of questions on this buy out. First of all why is there a nonbinding agreement signed? Are both companies waiting to see what kind of "uprising" this will cause among the Klipsch customers/fans? Is there a chance if this does go through that there will still be great speakers that stay true to the Klipsch sound? Lastly I just bought RF-82II's right before this news came out and I bought a RC-64II center with the thought of upgrading to RF-7II's in the future. Is the time to upgrade now?

I have a couple of questions on this buy out. First of all why is there a nonbinding agreement signed? Are both companies waiting to see what kind of "uprising" this will cause among the Klipsch customers/fans? Is there a chance if this does go through that there will still be great speakers that stay true to the Klipsch sound? Lastly I just bought RF-82II's right before this news came out and I bought a RC-64II center with the thought of upgrading to RF-7II's in the future. Is the time to upgrade now?

Wow, you will pretty much have the same setup as me (and also have the same question as me).

Mark my words. Under Audiovox, primary management and resource functions will be moved to NY and integrated with existing Audiovox resources to reduce overhead. R&D technical will be phased out as there will be no more technical development required as Audiovox reduces the Klipsch BRAND NAME to nothing more than a product line which consists of things like iPod accessories, headphones (at least Prof Thump will probably get something significant out of this) and computer/TV monitors (i.e. not necessarily HT, except low-end of course). After that has run it's course it will probably be sold again ~ for it's brand name ~ and then ~ possibly whoever buys it might be interested in reviving the glory. As it stands, Audiovox has not revived nor continued to produce any legendary products of the BRAND NAMES it has purchased. And I don't see it doing anything different with Klipsch.

if what you predict happen I think it will be to bad

As it stands, Audiovox has not revived nor continued to produce any legendary products of the BRAND NAMES it has purchased. And I don't see it doing anything different with Klipsch.

If the "legend" were as profitable as the brand name, there wouldn't be a reason to purchase the company.

As I've indicated before, if they continue to produce current models to spec? NOBODY CARES about lineage.

Either way...

PWK was 85 years old when he sold the company to Fred and it was profitable. The legend is intact.

Many people here on this forum care about lineage, but 99% of the Best Buy customers couldn't care less....you are right about that.

Either way...

PWK was 85 years old when he sold the company to Fred and it was profitable. The legend is intact.

Many people here on this forum care about lineage, but 99% of the Best Buy customers couldn't care less....you are right about that.

I'm just saying that, if consumers contnue to get the service/products they always have, they won't care about "lineage." (i.e., where/how things are produced, who makes the $$$, etc.) If a Cornwall still sounds like a Cornwall...

If it doesn't, they'll still not care about "lineage," because it won't BE a Cornwall.

Arkansas versus China, as production locations, do not matter. The STANDARD matters: which isn't tied to "lineage."

Arkansas versus China, as production locations, do not matter. The STANDARD matters: which isn't tied to "lineage."

I respectfully beg to differ. I would rather buy made in the US products if I can and have paid more to do so.

IMVHO made in Arkansas and lineage may matter a lot to any new markets this deal with Audiovox, if it is completed, may open up.

For example, well heeled Asian audiophiles may prefer to buy Klipschorns LaScalas, Cornwalls, and Heresies made in the US as a status symbol and as they may still care about lineage more than the average audiophile and music lover here in the US excepting of course many of the Klipschanatics who hang out here of course.I would describe most of the rabid Klipsch fans in this forum as music lovers first, audiophiles second.

just my 0.002 db

I respectfully beg to differ. I would rather buy made in the US products if I can and have paid more to do so.

IMVHO made in Arkansas and lineage may matter a lot to any new markets this deal with Audiovox, if it is completed, may open up.

For example, well heeled Asian audiophiles may prefer to buy Klipschorns LaScalas, Cornwalls, and Heresies made in the US as a status symbol and as they may still care about lineage more than the average audiophile and music lover here in the US excepting of course many of the Klipschanatics who hang out here of course.I would describe most of the rabid Klipsch fans in this forum as music lovers first, audiophiles second.

just my 0.002 db

Oh, I have no issues with disagreement.

It just seems to me that, if well-heeled Asian audiophiles desired American made Klipsch, they'd just have purchased it now?

My
point is that there are those who report Audiovox will not make a spec
Cornwall. That would be their choice and, at that point, it won't
matter where anything is produced.

If they DO make a spec Cornwall, it will -- in fact -- be a Cornwall and, again, it won't matter where it is produced.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, acts like a duck, etc...

I believe the bean counters will prevail. They have no alligence to quality or tradition. Just what comes in is more than what goes out.

JJK

People will pay for the level of quality they really want, if people won't pay for something you can't keep a business in business.

just my 0.002 db

Oh, I have no issues with disagreement.

It just seems to me that, if well-heeled Asian audiophiles desired American made Klipsch, they'd just have purchased it now?

My
point is that there are those who report Audiovox will not make a spec
Cornwall. That would be their choice and, at that point, it won't
matter where anything is produced.

If they DO make a spec Cornwall, it will -- in fact -- be a Cornwall and, again, it won't matter where it is produced.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, acts like a duck, etc...

What is the difference between a Recession versus a Depression?

A Recession is when your neighobor losses his Job, a Depression is when you lose your Job.

Therefore It must not matter where it is made until you lose your job.

Or maybe it matters when your country slips to second world status since they are not competitive or it is made here but all the good engineering and management jobs and profits go overseas?