Why Birch Ply for speakers?

Beechnut

the heavier woods would resonate less...birch ply is just a fav, other cabinet grade plys would work well also....construction grade plys is what you want to stay away from. on a 10" panel or table saw...use a finish quality blade to cut...90T min, but 120T if you can find one.

post-22082-13819640644306_thumb.jpg

Could you get the same acoustic properties out of oak, mahogony, if you weren't worried about cost, weight etc.

I think that the answer is a qualified "no": MDF is probably the best in terms of freedom from interfering resonances, but its structural properties (especially chipping and lack of threaded connection strength after assembly/disassembly/reassembly) is inferior to the multiple lamination ply--like Baltic birch (picture above). MDF is also very heavy.

Of course, you could go with hogged-out structural or cast aluminum alloy - like the Magico line of speakers...[8-)]

Chris

• Like 1

You want to shoot for stiffness or mass, or both, to

manipulate the resonance frequency. Plywood, by nature of the lamination, is

very stiff compared to solid woods or most chipboard materials. MDF can be very

dense and thus gains mass but in my experience is not all that stiff. Lower

grade plywood will have significant voids that create pockets in the plys. Bad

for stiffness and resonance diffusion. Higher grade ply will be consistent in

density and bonding in the layers. Marine grade birch being a good example. I

like to use MDF because is less expensive and I can stiffen it up with bracing.

I haven’t built large panel enclosures but I would consider stiff ply for such

an application.

• Moderators

I had used some plywood from home depot, Red Oak 3/4" $50 a sheet. I liked working with it, very few small voids, like 3 or 4 really small voids found while cutting up 12 sheets. I did pick through a few different sheets at the store to get all good edges and grains I liked.

They had one sheet that had a really wild grain but I didn't have anything that would only take one sheet, I almost bought it any way but was spending enough already.

post-11804-1381964079456_thumb.jpg

MDF was not available when PWK started. "Quality MDF" was an oxymoron until not too long ago. MDF is, in substance, much cheaper than good quality plywood. MDFs "sonic" characteristics lend themselves to speaker cabinet conctruction, but the drawback is brittleness, prone to radical moisture damage, etc. The primary reason it's used is as stated, cheaper, and also easier to cut with CNC routers which are what manufacturers use to make boxes..... Good baltic (Karelian, or Russian birch) plywood is expensive by comparison.

[H]

• 3 years later...

I always use Finnforest, Koskisen, Wisa or Sveza plywood. all are Finland Birch except Sveza which is made in Russia and Kazakhstan.

we buy Sveza 3/4" (13 ply) 48" x 96" for ~55USD/sheet

Edited by Arash

I always use Finnforest, Koskisen, Wisa or Sveza plywood. all are Finland Birch except Sveza which is made in Russia and Kazakhstan.

we buy Sveza 3/4" (13 ply) 48" x 96" for ~55USD/sheet

great quality for sure

• Like 1