The VRD twins are alive and well and how I got to this point

USNRET

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A good cleaning every so often with Caig Deoxit and pipe cleaners is a good idea.

I do the deoxit and a brass wire brush on the tube pins every so often......but as far as the sockets go, is it ok to just shoot the deoxit directly into it? I've never done it, didn't want to get too carried away but I'm assuming that if I did that I would let it sit for a considerable amount of time before powering it back up?

...still a tube newbie. [:$]

A good cleaning every so often with Caig Deoxit and pipe cleaners is a good idea.

I do the deoxit and a brass wire brush on the tube pins every so often......but as far as the sockets go, is it ok to just shoot the deoxit directly into it? I've never done it, didn't want to get too carried away but I'm assuming that if I did that I would let it sit for a considerable amount of time before powering it back up?

...still a tube newbie. Embarrassed

The propellant in the aerosol deoxit evaporates rather quickly. However, using that method isn't suitable for the sockets as it's impossible to get only a minimal amount in there. You don't want to saturate the socket pins as it can drip through the bottom and make things a bit messy underneath. Applying a thin coating of deoxit to the tube pins using the deoxit wipes is the best method. Alternatively, you can get the deoxit in a bottle with an applicator brush and simply brush on a tiny amount. A slight coating is all that is needed to improve the metal to metal contact.

Actually, the procedure I was doing:

1. Brass wire brush the tube pins.

2. Spray minimal deoxit on the pins.

3. Brass wire brush pins while still moist.

4. Shoot pins with compressed air then pop tubes back in the amp.

Is this kosher or detrimental in any way?

Actually, the procedure I was doing:

1. Brass wire brush the tube pins.

2. Spray minimal deoxit on the pins.

3. Brass wire brush pins while still moist.

4. Shoot pins with compressed air then pop tubes back in the amp.

Is this kosher or detrimental in any way?

Not detrimental, but overkill unless you are doing it on NOS tubes which have been stored in a damp environment and are showing significant corrosion/oxidation on the pins. Even there, using your procedure initially only, and following with a once or twice/year wipe would be sufficient.

Wow that's more wpc than I would have gussed, that much tube power could make any Klipsch jump, very nice.

They DO make the Heritage "jump" - but it's the CONTROL, delicacy, and authority the VRDs exhibit that really set them apart. They really are the "do it all" amplifier for Heritage.....40+ hours a week for three years and I never ever get tired of using them. As much as I love my MC30 based system, the VRDs are (like the Cornwalls being "speaker of the house") - amplifiers of the house. The more I have and use them, the more they justify ownership.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been a minute or two but the ex truck just dropped off amp #2. Let's see if it survived this trip. The original delivery was a little rough on one amp so it was back to Craig for some surgery. The patient recovered well but the Dr's orders are they they must exercise all night tonight to limber up the nos tublings.

The household has been warned not to bother daddy tonight.

Wow to bad ups damaged the twins. I quit using UPS they seem to be the worst of all the carriers. Joe

Fair is fair, I mis-spoke on the previous post. It wasn't UPS it was the other guys.

Does anyone remember the study that was done between the shipping companies? I wish I could find the article because they shipped electronics that measured number of drops bumps and shocks. The findings were interesting. If you wanted your package to stand the best chance of making it through without damage do not put fragile or handle with care stickers on your package. This increased your chances of drops and damage.