Engineer Jim and the MCM(1900)

HDBRbuilder

The basic system is a three way system with GILLUM G3 Components for the crossover, Direct Radiator low frequency driver and midrange horn elements. These are enclosed in a properly mounted Klipsch Heresy enclosure. Below you will find a plot of the actual (real world NOT idealized) frequency response of this monitor system from the listening position, measured with an IVIE 1134 microphone (random incidence).

http://audiographics.home.mindspring.com/FREQRES.gif

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have a pair of single MWM's and a pair of the 10" Subsquawkers that I coupled with two pairs of industrial split LaScala's. I used this system for years with an R+B band traveling all over New England. When I set up the full system, I would have the big W's on the bottom, two LaScala bins on each side on top of those, the 10" squawker mid on the LaScala bins, and then the 2 LaScala horn sections. I had this system electonically crossed over with a 4 way crossover and I had McIntosh power on the whole thing, about 2000 watts total. I could also break down the system and set it up in various formats for accommodating different sized clubs. It was a great system that sounded much larger than it really was. I did end up blowing out the woofer drivers on the W's and replaced them with 400 watt EV's and never had any more trouble.

Actually, I just remembered, when I first got the W's, I used to fit the W's, the 10" squawkers, and one set of LaScala horns, along with a McIntosh power rack, a 16 channel board, an effects rack, all my interconnects; everything I needed for a pro sound system for a band in a good sized nightclub; ALL INTO MY 1971 VOLKSWAGEN BUS!!! I remember one gig working for Bill Chinook, my bus full to the top with gear, cold as hell, and having to reach out and scrape the windshield during a freezing rain storm for a 2 hour trip, just to get to the gig on time! VW's didn't have good heat back then. I usually got to the gig long before anyone else did to set up, and I'd have to enlist someone to help get the gear inside. You should have seen the looks on the faces of the cooks, or bartenders when they saw how packed the VW was, and then had to help me bring in the huge W's! The W's actually moved fairly easily though, with the handles on the side, you'd just rest them on your shoulder and walk them in. The real surprise came from lifting the McIntosh power rack!

Ah the stories . . . .

Now you know where my preference for lot's of low end comes from, and why I'm asking about tinkering with my Khorn woofers.

Greg

As far as plans, you should go to the USPTO web site and look at patent 4210223.

You will have to download the special TIFF plug in to access the drawings.

The patent document gives a weath of information. Proabably enough to let you build one depending upon your skills.

The patent issued in July 1980 and has, therefore, expired. So anyone is free to build them.

Gil

Indy- doubtful that I will ever sell them but I will keep you in mind! I actually found them on e-bay about 3 years ago. I bought them from somebody in Utah who no longer had the room for them. Now that's a surprise! He had gotten them from the original owner who only had them in his house too. I had Atlas Van Lines move them out to me in Michigan. Needless to say, the moving guys thought I was totally insane. My mono Adcom's definately are not up to the task but I'm not a maniac audiophile about things.

My theory on sound is a little different than most. I always thought the purpose of a system was to faithfully reproduce the source i.e. the band or more specifically a live performance of the band. I have been to CES many times and marveled at all the mega-high end stuff. However, the puny, hand wound everything, built from un-obtainium, whacko system just can't put me in the front row of a rock concert like my MCM's can! Long live the horn!

BTW I have never owned anything but Klipsch speakers. Got my first set at age 14 as Dad's hand me downs. Used to have my buddies over after school for some "klipsching" (as they called it) so they could listen to music loud until we got busted by Mom. Funny, some of the same guys come over now, 25 years later, for exactly the same thing! Albeit a little louder!

Those of u who are ordering copies of the Dope From Hope & Klipsch Audio Papers from me are also getting the architect's & engineer's spec sheet for this monster.

get this.............

100Db @ 1 watt @ 10feet in free space.

Attempt # umpteen

The free air specs need to be seen in context. 100db@10feet@1watt translates into something like:

104db/1 meter/1 watt . On paper that might not seem like much but in other words that sum***** would be as loud at 10 feet in the open air as a Khorn in a room with the same input. In other words incredibly loud!

Yipe!

Djk Thanks for the math lesson!

For those even more mathematically challenged than I. The MCM1900's effective efficiency rating of 110 db/1watt/1 meter vs. the Klipschorn's rating of 104 db/1 watt/ 1 meter means that with a 1 watt input the MCM would be 4 times as loud as the Khorn.

• 4 years later...

I actually reasd through this thread the other day. No one ever talks about the MCM stuff very much. In fact, very little attention goes towoard the Commercial forum.

Yes the history is great. I would love to hear more.

jc

It's been a long time since I be-bopped in that old VW bus full of Klipsch and McIntosh gear.

About 2 years ago, in a local paper, I saw an ad for 4 Klipsch MWM bass bins, $75 each. It didn't take me long to get there.

Then a few months later, in a mysterious way, I received a phone call from a guy I didn't know that owns a pro audio shop about an hour from me. He wants to know if I'd like to buy some old Klipsch pro cabinets. I ended up getting MSSM's and MSM's along with most of the K-55 drivers. Scored a nice pair of MTM's on ebay a few weeks after that. I spent a month getting everything re-wired and working properly only to be forced out of my shop due to an impending roof collapse just as I was getting the system working.

I ended up getting this whole system put together for around $1000. Colter hates me.

20 years earlier I would have given up a body part for this system. Funny how things change. The bar band business used to be thriving here in Maine back in the 70's and 80's, then the drunk driving laws got stiffer, video stores popped up, and aids entered the picture. Poof, there goes that form of entertainment. Now, bar bands tend to go real low-tech, light weight, and wimpy, and their sound suffers because of it. There's no budget for a sound man anymore. Heck, there's no budget most of the time! So this type of large P.A. equipment can be had real cheap. Unless you're an audiophile, then you'll have to pay much, much more.

Now I finally have my new shop and the MCM system is up and running. I still have issues to sort out, but the sheer power of this system puts a smile on my face and brings back memories. And yes, my pant legs are flapping.

Greg

www.dcchomes.com/MG.html

post-11090-13819334955376_thumb.jpg