The official Klipsh Community favorite recipe thread

jhoak

i just fired up a charcoal fire, rather that the 100 coals, 50 coals bs in the recipe.....

Beer Brats done right!!!

STEP BY STEP

Four Steps to Better Bratwurst

Whether you're tailgating at the game or just grilling in your backyard, here's
how to get great grilled brats and perfectly cooked onions every time.

1. Simmer
the beer, mustard, and spices in a disposable aluminum pan over one side of the
grill. Grill the sliced onions on the opposite side.

Transfer the grilled onions to the simmering beer mixture and grill the
bratwurst until just browned.

Submerge the browned bratwurst in the simmering beer mixture to finish cooking.

4. Once
the sausages are cooked through, return them to the grill to crisp up while the
beer mixture finishes reducing.

STEP BY STEP

The Best Beer for Brats

We tested eight lagers in our recipe for Grilled Brats and Beer, and tasters
overwhelmingly preferred the mellow sweetness of Budweiser. Miller Genuine
Draft was our second choice, with tasters praising its mild, malty flavor.
Expensive imported beers, such as Heineken and Spaten, were bitter when reduced
in the sauce, so keep those beers for drinking.

Grilled Brats and Beer

Serves 10

Light-bodied
lagers work best here. Depending on the size of your grill, you may need to
cook the onions in 2 batches in step 2. Standard hot dog buns will be too small
or the bulky brats.

onions ,
sliced into 1/2-inch rounds

tablespoons vegetable
oil

Pepper

(12-ounce)
beers (see note at left)

2/3

cup Dijon
mustard

teaspoon sugar

teaspoon caraway
seeds

bratwurst
sausages

(6-inch)
sub rolls

1. Turn all burners to medium-high and heat, covered, for 15 minutes.
(For charcoal grill, arrange 50 coals over bottom of grill. Light 100 coals;
when covered with fine gray ash, pour evenly over cold coals. Set cooking grate
in place and let heat, covered, with lid vent open completely, for 5 minutes.)
Scrape and oil cooking grate. Brush onions with oil and season with pepper.
Whisk beer, mustard, sugar, caraway, and 1 teaspoon pepper in 13 by 9-inch
disposable aluminum pan.

2. Arrange disposable pan on one side of grill and grill onions on
other side of grill until lightly charred, 6 to 10 minutes. Transfer onions to
pan and grill sausages until browned, 6 to 10 minutes. Transfer sausages to
pan, cover grill, and simmer until sausages are cooked through, about 15
minutes. Remove cooked sausages from pan and grill until lightly charred, about
4 minutes. Transfer sausages to platter and tent with foil.

3. Continue to simmer beer mixture, with grill covered, until onions
are tender and sauce is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Place bratwurst in
rolls and spoon on sauce and onions. Serve.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BRAN MUFFINS........ Okay, no joke, for elders colon function matters and thar's nothing better than fiber to keep the plumbing in skittles. I cook a lot of things but baking has always been a challenge. But I could not find good bran muffins where I live so I got a recipe and it is not only good but even I can make it work. AND, since Klipsch can't make listing contents simple it is all gonna be in a single paragraph. Sorry for that. DRY INGREDIENTS: 4 cups whole bran cereal (I've been using All Bran from Kellogs).... 2 cups flour... 1 cup packed brown sugar..... 2 tsp baking soda..... 1 tsp salt.... 2 cups raisons..... 3/4 cup pecan chunks (optional)..... WET INGREDIENTS: 2 cups pineapple juice...... 1/2 cup oil..... ( I use melted butter) 5 whole eggs....... ( I use 4 jumbo eggs) 1/2 cup honey, or more if you like it....... PREPARATION: In a separate bowl put raisons and pecans and macerate with all of the pineapple juice. In another bowl mix together all dry ingredients EXCEPT the whole bran. In the 3rd and largest bowl loosely blend together the eggs, honey and oil. 1st add the mixed dry ingredients to the mixed wet ingredients thoroughly. 2nd into this doughy mix add the 4 cups of bran (it will get pretty stiff). Last add the pineapple juice/raisons/nuts in to the batch (this will loosen up the batter). Then refrigerate for 3 hours to 24. COOKING: Preheat oven to 400 degrees..... I use a large sized, non-stick muffin pan sprayed with a PAM like product..... Fill each muffin thingy near to the top with batter (it does not rise very much)...... It'll take about 20 - 25 minutes to cook. I intentionally leave mine a weensy under done so the center caves a little when they cool and that is on the shy side of 20 minutes in my oven. You can cook them as you wish but I like mine a little gooey. I get a yield of about 10 large sized muffins. One-a-day w/coffee and it is colon heaven. Enjoy and you can play with the recipe too. I'm gonna try oat bran next using Quaker Oat cereal.

Here's my chili recipe. It's a mild chili - comfort food. Easy to zing up though, just add more finely diced hot peppers. I live off this stuff during football season.

4 lbs. ground beef.

1 (15 to 16 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (29 oz.) can diced tomatoes – I found a brand that makes petite diced tomatoes which is the best way to go.
2 (15 to 16 oz.) cans of Pinto beans

1 (15 to 16 oz.) can of red kidney beans – small beans if possible

2 medium to large sweet onions

1 (15 to 16 oz.) can French onion soup – put in a bowl and use your hand to mash up

onion pieces until most of the pieces are gone
4-5 stalks celery – can chop up some of the greens too
1 large green pepper or two medium green peppers

2-3 small long green hot peppers
3 Tsp. chili powder
1-1/2 Tsp. ground cumin
1 Tsp. garlic powder

2 tsp pepper

½ tsp sugar (it only takes a tiny bit)
Add water, so the consistency of

the chili is almost soup-like – it will thicken up as it cooks, however, this is

supposed to be almost soup-like and use the crackers to soak it all up.
Add salt to taste

2 boxes lightly salted or no-salt Saltine crackers

Put all canned ingredients into a very large pot and start simmering

Cut up green pepper, onion, celery, and add to pot – try to make all the pieces uniform,

petite diced cut

Cut up the hot peppers into very tiny pieces, minced. Don’t rub your eyes!

Fry up the ground beef and add to pot. Fry it up into “rice” size pieces. Very fine pieces

of beef. Well done, almost crispy. Remove excess grease.

Add spices and water

Salt to taste after everything else is added, and maybe after simmering for a while.

Simmer at least 2 hours, but taste testing during that time is necessary! ; )

Try a Texas chili. Brown beef stew meat, or venison, or other game, reserve meat while sauteeing a mirepoix or trinity, add meat back, add canned tomatoes, broth of choice, chipotles or chiles of choice, beer, pure chile puree or powder, other spices, and simmer down to make a nice thick bowl of competition chili, about 3 hours on slow simmer. Beans are grounds for automatic disqualification.

Folks, I'm sorry, I have been sick as a dog the past several week and have not been able to do much on the cookbook. Well, SweetiePie has consented to help do all the typing. The software I purchased will work fine, just requires a lot of typing, my old fingers don't work so good any more. I have gathered about 50 good receipts from all who have donated to the cause. It will just take some time to get them entered in the software, so in the meantime keep them coming and I will be working on them.

Thanks again.

Cigarbum

Interesting chili recipe Greg...kinda similar to mine (in size atleast), but I like the idea of the crackers, guessing that is to thicken it...I have seen tortilla chips done too. (I might have misread that...are the crackers just to eat with the chili?)

Yeah, I like to break them up and sprinkle them on top of the chili while I'm eating it. It thickens it and adds an interesting starchy crunch!

Greg

Boy, I tried something last night that was pretty darn good. I deep fried some baby back ribs, I have to admit real decent of course anything fried has got to be good. After eating then I believe I need to make some changes, they tasted just a tad bitter to me, others didn't think so, too much liquid smoke would be my guess. Well, anyway as good as they were, I think I can make them a little better.

I am, well Sweetie Pie is making good head way on the typing of all the receipts, the fried ribs will be in there.

Cigarbum

Boy, I tried something last night that was pretty darn good. I deep fried some baby back ribs, I have to admit real decent of course anything fried has got to be good. After eating then I believe I need to make some changes, they tasted just a tad bitter to me, others didn't think so, too much liquid smoke would be my guess. Well, anyway as good as they were, I think I can make them a little better.

I am, well Sweetie Pie is making good head way on the typing of all the receipts, the fried ribs will be in there.

Cigarbum

Hey Cigarbum ever tried "Brunswick Stew"? Thats a great southern classic. I used to live on St. Simons Island off the coast of Brunswick on the southern coast of Georgia. The original recipe had things like Squirrel, Possum and raccoon. The newer version has Chicken, Beef and Pork. Also it has okra in it. Mum, Mum good. If you don't have this one and want it let me know.

Hey Cigarbum ever tried "Brunswick Stew"? Thats a great southern classic. I used to live on St. Simons Island off the coast of Brunswick on the southern coast of Georgia. The original recipe had things like Squirrel, Possum and raccoon. The newer version has Chicken, Beef and Pork. Also it has okra in it. Mum, Mum good. If you don't have this one and want it let me know.

Please post it.

Years ago I spent a good bit of time working in the coastal GA area and had Brunswick Stew many many times at some of the local dives. Wonderful!!! I would love to come across a good "authentic" recipe. Funny part is squirrels, possums, and racoons are fairly easy to come by where I live. I would still rather make it with chicken beef, and pork though. [;)]

Fricasee Chicken With Sausage and Black Eyed Peas

Ingredients:

8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces

1 pound heavy-smoked sausage, sliced

4 cups frozen black-eyed peas

½ cup vegetable oil

½ cup flour

2 cup diced onions

1 cup diced celery

1 cup diced bell peppers

¼ cup minced garlic

2 cups sliced button mushrooms

1½ quarts chicken stock

salt and black pepper to taste

granulated garlic to taste

½ cup sliced green onions

¼ cup chopped parsley

Method:

In a 7-quart, cast iron Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add flour and using a wire whisk, whip until a dark brown roux is achieved. Add smoked sausage and cook 10–12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onions, celery, bell peppers and minced garlic. Sauté 3−5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add chicken, blend well into vegetable mixture then cook 10–12 minutes. Add mushrooms and blend thoroughly. Add chicken stock, one ladle at a time, until a stew-like consistency is achieved. Additional stock may be needed as dish cooks to maintain desired consistency. Add black-eyed peas and bring to a rolling boil, reduce to simmer then cook 30–45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Season to taste using salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Add green onions and parsley then adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve over steamed rice.

So here is my version. I had one from my mom and then I found 3 different ones on the internet. I just combined the 4 recipes and made my own. Its been awhile since I have made this. I am not sold on the vinegar but it was darn tasty. It makes a lot.

Brunswick Stew

Ingredients

2 1/2 lbs Chicken with bone

1 1/2 lbs Chuck Roast

1/2 lbs Pork

5 slices Bacon

1 teaspoon Pepper

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 - 28 ounce cans Tomatoes diced

3 onions

1/4 cup Butter

2 tablespoons Parsley

3/4 cup Brown Sugar

1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce

1/4 cup Frenches Mustard

1 tablespoon Tabasco

1/4 cup Cider Vinegar

1/4 cup Barley

16 ounces Frozen Corn

16 ounces Frozen Okra

16 ounces Frozen Black Eyed Peas

4 Clove Garlic

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350. Place chicken, chuck roast, pork and bacon in large baking dish. Cut roast into 4-5 pieces. Season with salt and peper. Cover with foil and roast 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. (next time I make it I might do 250 degrees for 3-4 hours until done). After cooking take out meat and save the broth. You will need at least 3 cups of broth. Remove fats from broth. If you do not have enough broth add chicken broth to make 3 cups. Remove chick from bones and skin. Chop bacon in to 2" pieces. Saute the bacon in a large stockpot over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove the bacon and drain off all but about 1-2 tablespoons of fat. Return bacon to pot and increase heat to high. Add onions, garlic and butter. Cook until soft. Add broth to loosen all the brown bits on the bottom of the stockpot. Add tomatoes, parsley, brown sugar, Worcestershire, mustard, Tabasco, barley, meats, salt and pepper. Bring to boil then simmer for 2 hours. Stir occasionally to make sure sugars and not scorching. After 2 hours break up meat with potato masher. Add corn black eyed peas and okra. Cook for 1 hour or until done.

Enjoy

Stolen from another forum that I frequent. Yes I've made it and it's quite good.

Carnivore Queso

What you need:

1 crock pot
1 lb. velveeta
1 lb. hamburger
1 lb. sausage (select style to taste)
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup (approx. 10 oz.)
1 jar picante sauce(approx. 12 oz., select heat to taste)

Pull apart meat into small pieces and brown. Break up into tiny parts and drain.

Put all ingredients into crock pot and cook on high for 2 hours, stirring ocasionally. The stuff will look weird till the cheese really completely melts and then will turn into carnivore heaven.

• Moderators

This is not a recipe, but anyone who cooks peels garlic at some point knows it's not fun or easy.

You don't use garlic.....[:o]......what's the matter with you, no taste buds ? [:P]

This is a good way to peel a bunch of garlic quick and easy. [Y]