I just got the best deal ever, no seriously must read

johnnydrama

• Moderators

my initial thoughts are he either (A) knew absolutely nothing about this sytem or what it's probably worth or (B) stole the system or © needed the cash and wasn't willing to hold out for a better offer.

What if he was A, B and C? [:P]

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PLEASE READ. I would like to issue an apology to the Klipsch forum and more importantly Jerome. Im not sure what his handle is here on the forum but he is a member. My post yesterday was immature, misleading, and not nice. Im embarrassed and remorseful for it but wanted everyone to know. He was on the forum last night and read the not so nice things I wrote. Rightfully so he pulled the agreement. I meant no harm or disrespect to anyone. I honestly was just so excited for the catch on the system and couldn't contain myself. I hope you all will forgive me. Im sorry.

This right here shows a great deal about your character; don't stress about the mistake or the outcome. It sounds like you've learned the lesson and no one here will brow beat you with sage advice. Hopefully Jerome too will not hold a grudge and learn to better research his products in the future.

Stick around and contribute some knowledge, some smart assery, and some random bits of audio stuff. You won't find a more diverse or genuinely nice group of forum members many other places.

At that point I'd have offered him less than his original asking price.

Yea, but then he would have been possibly upset and wouldn't have sold me the KSP-S6 surrounds for only $50 to go with the KLF 30s, C7 and KSW15 he sold me for $650! Some times, a good deal is simply good enough. In this case, a GREAT DEAL

Maybe so, but if I have an agreement with someone for a buy/sell and the other party changes the deal mid stream, I'd rather not have anything to do with him. Great deal or not. He went back on his offer, I'd go back on mine. Worst case scenario is I'd find a deal somewhere else. I'm not big on being someone elses plan B. Best case scenario, you'd have gotten a discount for having gone through a bad transaction and dealing with someone who's word is no good.

• Moderators

Sorry to hear about the deal not going through. Very honorable public apology that you shared.

Lesson learned, don't share any details on a sweet deal until after you have them home and hooked up in your living room. [;)] There are other deals just as good, if not better out there. Just gotta be patient.

Johnnydrama,

You ate some crow with honor and dignity today.[pi](no eating crow emoticon) Check it off as lesson learned in this crazy life we live. It took a lot of class to make a heartfelt sincere apology the way you did.

When I first read your original post, my initial thought was to call you out on not being completely above reproach but I too have once or twice considered similar tactics(but not gone through with them) in my buying and selling of gear. Even though I was rooting for this deal to be sealed, in the back of my mind I was thinking "I hope the seller does not read this post".[:$]

As Youthman pointed out, you will find a good deal again and hopefully it will go in your favor.

I myself had to question a seller if he was sure he wanted to sell me his speakers at such a crazy low price. He said, and I quote, " I want you to have my deceased Dad's speakers because I know you will appreciate them as much as he did." I was honored.

Needless to say, for $350.00, I got a pair of Heresys, RB-5's, RB-35's, RS-35's, RC-35, and an RC-3, all in very good condition. Being that they were his beloved father's speakers, I promised I would not turn around and profit on them. He in turn, told me not to make that promise because they were mine now. I still own the Heresys.

Bill

Rogers ls3 -5a or something, little bitty, I sold em' on ebay for $2000.

Those are like the BBC monitors... nice! For $5 I would have probably kept them and used them on my desktop.

Bruce

They were some great sounding little speakers, maybe the best I ever heard for the size.The 2k helped fund other hobbies so I'll'just have to live with the knowledge I did once own em'.

So the seller is not selling anymore? Weird that they are a member of the klipsch forum but didn't know what sub they had or how much their speakers were worth. Something doesn't add up. Maybe someone here tipped the seller off about your post? Just can't understand how a forum member doesn't know what sub they have. Why would you buy that setup anc never use it but at thr same time be a member on a forum for said speakers? FWIW I don't feel $1000 is so far out of line. What you said in your initial post is true. They are an older model and have yet to read a post about how that series is superior to the newest.

I've seen guys get speakers for FREE

Good point.

When I first joined the forum, (I had been lurking for a couple weeks), someone posted that they'd GIVE a pair of Khorns to someone for free as long as the recipient had "X" number of posts, ostensibly proving that they were a member of some tenure and not just blasting by.

I about croaked. I had longed for Khorns for probably 25 years and would have loveddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd to have had them and would have 'given them a good home' but alas, I didn't meet any criteria and nobody knew who I was (some are still thankful for that fact [:P])

No way could I put into words how much I would have appreciated them. I don't remember who received them nor who gave them away.

I bought a pair a couple years later and all is good.

Still, I was 100% impressed at the gesture.

So the seller is not selling anymore? Weird that they are a member of the klipsch forum but didn't know what sub they had or how much their speakers were worth. Something doesn't add up. Maybe someone here tipped the seller off about your post? Just can't understand how a forum member doesn't know what sub they have. Why would you buy that setup anc never use it but at thr same time be a member on a forum for said speakers? FWIW I don't feel $1000 is so far out of line. What you said in your initial post is true. They are an older model and have yet to read a post about how that series is superior to the newest.

Probably a lurker.

Roger

I agree with Jason on this, if he were a member he probably would have known what sub he had. Plus he would have had the speakers listed in the garage sale section and not just on craigslist. I would also think that he would have called you out publicly right here. Sounds to me like someone read your post and ratted you out. Who knows, maybe their intentions were to swoop in on your deal. I would keep an eye out for someone's new reference system in the forums.

I agree with Jason on this, if he were a member he probably would have known what sub he had. Plus he would have had the speakers listed in the garage sale section and not just on craigslist. I would also think that he would have called you out publicly right here. Sounds to me like someone read your post and ratted you out. Who knows, maybe their intentions were to swoop in on your deal. I would keep an eye out for someone's new reference system in the forums.

Yea I'm almost certain it was a fellow member that just tipped him off and swung in for the rebound on the deal, mainly for the reasons you stated above mrclean. I'm not too upset about it. I wasn't in the market for a new system but at same time wasn't gonna pass up on the deal. I probably would've ended up shopping the system anyways due to the wife. She already thinks my XF-48 system is big, can't imagine the kinda brick she would've shit if I would've popped those RF-82s down. Until I have my dedicated home theater I really am not gonna be in the market for a reference system. I was even having some trouble wrestling the thought of getting rid of my XF-48 because it's such a great looking system. I would've thought the reference would've looked great but still would've looked a little large for my space and most of my friends and family would've thought I was crazy so... I appreciate the support tho guys, an apology was definitely in order on my part and things happen for a reason, just wasn't meant to be, something better will come along im sure.

i'm certain aliens tipped him off. or maybe he figured he would use the time between audition and cash delivery to use that new fangled thing called the internet to see if his discount of $1000 was really warranted or not ..he likely came back to the klipsch forums he had long forgotten about, started browsing around, and noticed your post near the top of the lists.

without any proof, i'd be careful how far you go accusing this group of such shady tactics. sure, it's possible, but my experience has shown these forum members to be highly credible people that self-police and ostracize those that do what you've described.

if you do have concrete evidence of what you describe, please share it so that we can self-police and ostracize the ******.

i'm certain aliens tipped him off. or maybe he figured he would use the time between audition and cash delivery to use that new fangled thing called the internet to see if his discount of $1000 was really warranted or not ..he likely came back to the klipsch forums he had long forgotten about, started browsing around, and noticed your post near the top of the lists.

without any proof, i'd be careful how far you go accusing this group of such shady tactics. sure, it's possible, but my experience has shown these forum members to be highly credible people that self-police and ostracize those that do what you've described.

if you do have concrete evidence of what you describe, please share it so that we can self-police and ostracize the ******.

again I mispoke.. my explanation wasn't meant to accuse a fellow member of doing such... however this forum is open to public I was on for several months before I actually signed up. So what I meant to say was someone read my post and tipped him off. Sorry for not being clear more clear on what I meant and wrongly wording what I was meaning to say.

wasn't directed at just you, as there were a couple of comments along that thought. if anyone spends even a little bit of time around here getting to know its members (and not just debate completely pointless audio philosophies or "facts") they would be more cautious with accusations of shady actions.

i wouldn't hesitate to invite a single member (by member, i mean people who aren't lurkers or simply create an account to offload gear) from this community into my home for a day of food, exposure to my family, or a thorough experience with my gear. I've had members do the same in return, we've had hundreds of dollars worth of cable go from member to member through the mail for testing, and so on. I can't say that for AVSforums or any of my other forums (except maybe my bmw 2002 group).

i just found it odd that we skipped completely over the possibility that the guy went online while he had time to think about things and instead went straight to nefarious plans of an enterprising member who alerted him and offered to buy the gear instead.

There is no specific accusation. Just a theory.

Whether he was tipped off by a member or not we do not know, but I would bet a weeks paycheck that he is not a member or he would have been trying to sell the speakers on here. I can't imagine a member trying to sell an entire reference system brand new in the boxes without having them listed in the Klipsch Forums that he was a part of where he could have sold his set in no time. That makes no sense to me at all.

As far as trusting all the members on here just because they are members is crazy. I would like to think that they could all be trusted in my house around my family for hours at a time, but I just could not do that. Now there is a big difference between the members that have been on here for a long time and have several posts and you can see their interactions with others and the ones that just join for quick advice and then move along their way. There seems to be three new members a day asking advice on their new system or on what to buy and after a few replies you never hear from them again. I believe that new members with no track history need to be trusted as much as a person on craigslist. They are strangers until a relationship has been established. Remember, all that it takes to become a member of the forums is filling out a very minute amount of information and pressing enter. I mean no offense by these statements, just that a person needs to base their trust in an individual on more than just whether they joined the same website.

Whether he was tipped off by a member or not we do not know, but I would bet a weeks paycheck that he is not a member or he would have been trying to sell the speakers on here. I can't imagine a member trying to sell an entire reference system brand new in the boxes without having them listed in the Klipsch Forums that he was a part of where he could have sold his set in no time. That makes no sense to me at all.

I disagree .. i've seen plenty of examples in my car, photography, and A/V forums where members local to me don't want to deal with shipping or drawing national/international attention to gear they want to offload. they only want local transactions and so they only think to post on craigslist or email their co-workers to pass the word around.

As far as trusting all the members on here just because they are members is crazy. I would like to think that they could all be trusted in my house around my family for hours at a time, but I just could not do that. Now there is a big difference between the members that have been on here for a long time and have several posts and you can see their interactions with others and the ones that just join for quick advice and then move along their way. There seems to be three new members a day asking advice on their new system or on what to buy and after a few replies you never hear from them again. I believe that new members with no track history need to be trusted as much as a person on craigslist. They are strangers until a relationship has been established. Remember, all that it takes to become a member of the forums is filling out a very minute amount of information and pressing enter. I mean no offense by these statements, just that a person needs to base their trust in an individual on more than just whether they joined the same website.

i
wouldn't hesitate to invite a single member (by member, i mean people
who aren't lurkers or simply create an account to offload gear)...

obviously you glazed over what I wrote; my definition of lurker aligns with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurker . So we said the same thing and have the same criteria.

no offense taken. i just see a whole lot of assumptions in this thread and wish to point out that there are alternative possibilities. I also feel strongly about protecting the credibility of what i consider to be this forum's "members".