An audio regret of mine, name yours too, i want to hear it!

SuBXeRo

Sub I also hear noise in my xpa-5. And when I called emo

after I first got it last year they treated me kind of bad about it. They blamed

my speakers and told me it’s normal. I had hiss and static sound that is not

normal that I was describing to them and they just made me feel like I was

wasting their time. I was set on returning it but I fixed the problem by running

the power to a separate wall outlet. There is still a good amount of hiss but it’s

a clean hiss now and I’m happy (they are very picky amps).

Honesty even emo says it’s there so when people say they don’t

have any noise at all from there emo amps I just wonder what they consider

noise. To me it’s anything that’s not dead silent.

Here’s the thing though. I paid 707 new to my door for a

60lb 5 channel 200 watt amp. And you have to be honest with yourself and say if

it’s too good be true it probably is. Just like the problem’s they have with

the umc-1 bugs. I think they cheap out on some stuff to give a performing

product at a great price and hope we all look the other way at their

imperfections.

I’m with you though I would have paid 200 more for a dead

silent amp.

Also you might want to try the crossover mod on your 7s

(dean mod). I have read they have a more refined sound then factory (factory

some describe as little harsh). The new 7s imo have a very laid back refined smooth

sound with the lower crossover.

• Moderators

For me it's two big ones.

#1 Years ago giving away a Sansui 8080 to a relative because a bulb was out on the front panel. I also gave him a Akai reel to reel, two turntables and a record collection. I gave away plenty of other things but I miss that sansui and Akai. Now that I think about it i have never sold ANY audio stuff, I always gave it away.

#2 Not getting my wife interested in this hobby earlier. Before it was just another thing I wanted on a long list of things I wanted. Now she knows what it takes and what sound she likes and she and our daughter actually decided on the last and best speakers we have. This forum and people here helped her to understand this hobby and gave her the chance to hear different setups. Thanks everyone [Y]

For me it's two big ones.

#1 Years ago giving away a Sansui 8080 to a relative because a bulb was out on the front panel. I also gave him a Akai reel to reel, two turntables and a record collection. I gave away plenty of other things but I miss that sansui and Akai. Now that I think about it i have never sold ANY audio stuff, I always gave it away.

#2 Not getting my wife interested in this hobby earlier. Before it was just another thing I wanted on a long list of things I wanted. Now she knows what it takes and what sound she likes and she and our daughter actually decided on the last and best speakers we have. This forum and people here helped her to understand this hobby and gave her the chance to hear different setups. Thanks everyone Yes

#1 Good for You. I have also given away stereo setups and some "Brooms". If it's not good enough to sell, it's not good enough to give away. I did throw a boom box off the second floor once, didn't want it coming back in the house and wouldn't give it away.

#2 Your a lucky man to have your wife interested in your hobby! Mine likes what I have, but says I need to find a new Hobby. She just don't get it. Got a collection of brooms, stereos and still looking. Still have the 1st pickup I bought in high school. 1st wife I ever married. Don't know what I'd do for another Hobby. Not about to start chasing Women, too dangerous!

Again, Your a lucky man to have your wife interested in your hobby! [Y]

user_IsOffline.gifSuBXeRo

I like the SS from the 70's hooked up to TV and stereos in upstairs living room. Have tried home theater and don't care for it personally. But hook up 2 good stereos, Marantz or Sansui, 4 good speakers, and both SHMBO and I are happy. Wife likes this type of setup better then home theater also. Maybe someday it can be tubes upstairs. But Marantz Quad doing the job at present.

On the topic of subs...i will, at some point, hen i get a house an a space guranteed to be dedicated to home audio a bit, i will build myself a custom quad 18" vented enclosure or multiple enclosures with 18's because they move the necessary amount of air to really punch your in the chest if you design its enclosure properly.

The punch in the chest you're looking for won't come from your subs unless you run them up pretty high. The big 18's will give you the infrasonics that give you a queezy feeling during suspense scenes and also the couch vibration when trains go by. If you want a good bass drum thump in the chest, your mains and amplification better be up to task as the mid-bass frequencies is where the real kick comes from.

• Moderators

#2 Your a lucky man to have your wife interested in your hobby! Yes I am Mine likes what I have, but says I need to find a new Hobby. She just don't get it. Your right if she thought about it another hobby can get expensive, most are expensive Got a collection of brooms, stereos and still looking. Still have the 1st pickup I bought in high school. 1st wife I ever married. Me too, 33 years, not a hobby I want to start over Don't know what I'd do for another Hobby. Not about to start chasing Women, too dangerous! yes it is

Splitting up with my ex and not picking up my audio equipment in a timely fashion which oddly enough gave her/it the impression I didn't want it.

Sansui 8080DB, an Audio Control "Phase Coupled Activator", a Marantz (made in California) pre amp. Fortunately when she/it and her new ride went to pick the stuff up they noticed that the surrounds on my EV Interface C's had turned to dust and left them...

• Like 1

Fortunately my regrets are behind me, but I've got a couple:

1. Speaker modifications. Suffice it to say, I've accepted the fact that I'm more likely to ruin a pair of speakers than improve them when I mindlessly set out to mod them. I managed to ruin a pair or two in my more foolish days. Actually technically speaking, the mods were reversible, but I was always paranoid that they never sounded quite right afterwards...

2. Selling my 5.1 system in California. It's a sentimental thing mostly: the mains in that system were my first "hi-fi" experience, a pair of Cambridge Soundworks "Towers".

Sub I also hear noise in my xpa-5. And when I called emo after I first got it last year they treated me kind of bad about it. They blamed my speakers and told me it’s normal. I had hiss and static sound that is not normal that I was describing to them and they just made me feel like I was wasting their time. I was set on returning it but I fixed the problem by running the power to a separate wall outlet. There is still a good amount of hiss but it’s a clean hiss now and I’m happy (they are very picky amps).

Honesty even emo says it’s there so when people say they don’t have any noise at all from there emo amps I just wonder what they consider noise. To me it’s anything that’s not dead silent.

Here’s the thing though. I paid 707 new to my door for a 60lb 5 channel 200 watt amp. And you have to be honest with yourself and say if it’s too good be true it probably is. Just like the problem’s they have with the umc-1 bugs. I think they cheap out on some stuff to give a performing product at a great price and hope we all look the other way at their imperfections.

I’m with you though I would have paid 200 more for a dead silent amp.

Also you might want to try the crossover mod on your 7s (dean mod). I have read they have a more refined sound then factory (factory some describe as little harsh). The new 7s imo have a very laid back refined smooth sound with the lower crossover.

You know, i felt the same way when i first called them on it. My take on it was that i shouldnt have any noise and they said it was klipsch and they are revealing and thats why i had it sent in and tested and it tested out fine. If you dont mind the noise its a great bang for the buck amplifier, if the noise bothers you, its worth extra money to get dead silence. I plugged in my rotel rx 1052 last night and tested the 7's and it was dead silent, even the tweeter and we all know that the tweeter can be known for displaying a staticy noise depending on the power supply. I was so excited to hear dead silence but alas, i still have the xpa-5 up and running and its treating me well.

my current power conditioner is an APC H15 http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/apc_h15.htm I got it for 50 bux. The person i bought it from got some rf-83's an rc-64 an rw-10 and this power conditioner from her ex and she sold the 83's and i saw the sub and center and they were beat to hell soi can only imagine what the poor towers looked like. So far i have been very satified with it and i have had it for about 6 months or so.

Part of the reason i want several 18's is to enable myself that low reach i want and to really have that rumble as you said, like when a train goes by, i want to be "in the train". The kick in the chest i suppose i am looking for is like that bass you get from a giant dj sub and your hair moves type punch. I suppose, that well yeah, i dont sit at home and have things cranked that high ever consistantly. I suppose to get what you are saying with midbass and yadda, well, i seek the holy grail of acoustical perfection HA, yeah right....perfection, well, i can try.

My ex or now my kinda gf again accepts my hobby and loves movies as she used to work at a theater when she was younger and appreciates the hobby but sometimes, well, all the time has trouble justifying cost for it all. Granted, i have been through like 22 differents types of klipsch speakers in the last 2 years so i guess it boarders on obsessive and speakers going in and out but in the end its my chosen happy hobby! If a woman told me the audio or me, i would break down and cry and talk her into letting me keep the speakers or i will have nothing to enjoy in life as a hobby since this is my favorite. Well, if that happened i would make my lionel trains have a track throughout the whole house and if not that i would build model plains train and automobiles and place them all over and so on so forthe. I am a hobby nut!

I have been toting this old sony receiver around because of sentimental value and i had a hard time selling my old bose speakers since my mom bought them for me when i was 12-13ish and she has passed away. I held those rf-5's near and dear to me and was heart breaking to let them go, i was upset for a while over it and now kicking myself.

On the dean g mod, i have been happy with the 7's otherwise but then again i could be blissfully ignorant as i dont know what the dean g mod sounds like.

On the XPA noise it must be something else in your system or your particular amp. My XPA amps are dead silent as in to hear any unwanted noise my ear needs to be well within 6 inches or basically in the horn. I have turned my volume up to the max with no source playing and this is how close I need to be to hear any hiss or noise at all coming from the speakers. My hearing is very good and my ears are sensitive to hearing any slight hiss type sounds.

There is defintely no audible amp hiss or hum unless you go out of your way to get close enough to hear something. I do have to admit I haven't ever used my XPA-5 on my mains, the mains where originally connected to my XPA-3 and later replaced by my XPA-2, my XPA-5 has only been connected to my surrounds and center but I never hear any unwanted noise from any speaker. The only time I ever hear any hiss it is source generated, poor recording etc. not something caused by the amps.

Do you(sub) hear the static/hiss when listening? Or just putting your ear up to them? I definitely hear it a bit when playing using just the standard Onkyo output. I"m confused though, if the Rotel gives you dead silent playback. Why not just use that?

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread Sub, just looking at amps myself at the moment. I would definitely feel the same as you. I want dead silence. noise bothers me to no end. I use to have a nice pair of JH13 in ear headphones that reproduce some crystal clear audio. It's made me very finnicky about any issues with sound.

Why not get fewer 18's and get some bass shakers, properly installed and dialed in they can be a better addition than more subs and at a fraction of the cost.

Sub I also hear noise in my xpa-5. And when I called emo after I first got it last year they treated me kind of bad about it. They blamed my speakers and told me its normal. I had hiss and static sound that is not normal that I was describing to them and they just made me feel like I was wasting their time. I was set on returning it but I fixed the problem by running the power to a separate wall outlet. There is still a good amount of hiss but its a clean hiss now and Im happy (they are very picky amps).

Honesty even emo says its there so when people say they dont have any noise at all from there emo amps I just wonder what they consider noise. To me its anything thats not dead silent.

Heres the thing though. I paid 707 new to my door for a 60lb 5 channel 200 watt amp. And you have to be honest with yourself and say if its too good be true it probably is. Just like the problems they have with the umc-1 bugs. I think they cheap out on some stuff to give a performing product at a great price and hope we all look the other way at their imperfections.

Im with you though I would have paid 200 more for a dead silent amp.

Also you might want to try the crossover mod on your 7s (dean mod). I have read they have a more refined sound then factory (factory some describe as little harsh). The new 7s imo have a very laid back refined smooth sound with the lower crossover.

You know, i felt the same way when i first called them on it. My take on it was that i shouldnt have any noise and they said it was klipsch and they are revealing and thats why i had it sent in and tested and it tested out fine. If you dont mind the noise its a great bang for the buck amplifier, if the noise bothers you, its worth extra money to get dead silence. I plugged in my rotel rx 1052 last night and tested the 7's and it was dead silent, even the tweeter and we all know that the tweeter can be known for displaying a staticy noise depending on the power supply. I was so excited to hear dead silence but alas, i still have the xpa-5 up and running and its treating me well.

my current power conditioner is an APC H15 http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/apc_h15.htm I got it for 50 bux. The person i bought it from got some rf-83's an rc-64 an rw-10 and this power conditioner from her ex and she sold the 83's and i saw the sub and center and they were beat to hell soi can only imagine what the poor towers looked like. So far i have been very satified with it and i have had it for about 6 months or so.

Part of the reason i want several 18's is to enable myself that low reach i want and to really have that rumble as you said, like when a train goes by, i want to be "in the train". The kick in the chest i suppose i am looking for is like that bass you get from a giant dj sub and your hair moves type punch. I suppose, that well yeah, i dont sit at home and have things cranked that high ever consistantly. I suppose to get what you are saying with midbass and yadda, well, i seek the holy grail of acoustical perfection HA, yeah right....perfection, well, i can try.

My ex or now my kinda gf again accepts my hobby and loves movies as she used to work at a theater when she was younger and appreciates the hobby but sometimes, well, all the time has trouble justifying cost for it all. Granted, i have been through like 22 differents types of klipsch speakers in the last 2 years so i guess it boarders on obsessive and speakers going in and out but in the end its my chosen happy hobby! If a woman told me the audio or me, i would break down and cry and talk her into letting me keep the speakers or i will have nothing to enjoy in life as a hobby since this is my favorite. Well, if that happened i would make my lionel trains have a track throughout the whole house and if not that i would build model plains train and automobiles and place them all over and so on so forthe. I am a hobby nut!

I have been toting this old sony receiver around because of sentimental value and i had a hard time selling my old bose speakers since my mom bought them for me when i was 12-13ish and she has passed away. I held those rf-5's near and dear to me and was heart breaking to let them go, i was upset for a while over it and now kicking myself.

On the dean g mod, i have been happy with the 7's otherwise but then again i could be blissfully ignorant as i dont know what the dean g mod sounds like.

i can hear it when playing media as well depending on how quiet the media is as far as music type and movie dialogue and music. I cant use the rotel because its just 2 channel and i hear this through all of my speakers

what are your trim levels set to? within +/- 3db? Is it possible those are set too high and over magnifying the issue?

My regret is straying away from klipsch for a decade. When I left for grad school my La Scala stayed at my parent's house. When I got a job and a house, they were too big for the living room and it was only sevaral years later that I brought them home from my parent's for my basement HT (had to build a basement first!). In the meantime, I was swayed by a store demo of Nuance speakers and bought a 5 speaker set for the living room. I should have seeked out some Heresy's instead.