Okay so changed mind again now I am keeping the RF7's.Just sold the RF83's yesterday

jordan122345

thats what everyone says about having the crossovers done on the RF7's and the RC7's as well.That really makes me wonder what they would sound like now.I think it was willand that said he thinks it goes RF7>RF83>RF7ii>RF7w/Dean Crossovers.And worst case if the RF83's sell first and I cant take the dents in the cones on the RF7's.I can get new woofers for $162 each from Klipsch

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was willand that said he thinks it goes RF7>RF83>RF7ii>RF7w/Dean Crossovers.

It was not willland because I have only heard the RF-83's and RF-7's stock.[;)] They both do sound wonderful with each having their own strengths but my vote goes to the RF-83's. I have a hard time getting past those ugly poorly designed grills of the RF-7's.[+o(] That's just me.

Bill

thats what everyone says about having the crossovers done on the RF7's and the RC7's as well.That really makes me wonder what they would sound like now.I think it was willand that said he thinks it goes RF7>RF83>RF7ii>RF7w/Dean Crossovers.And worst case if the RF83's sell first and I cant take the dents in the cones on the RF7's.I can get new woofers for $162 each from Klipsch

I think any and all of these ranking should be taken with a grain of salt and dean himself said his crossovers DON"T make the original RF-7s compare closer to the RF-83.

Yeah I hate the series 3 reference grills. Awful design. The series iv are great. The series v are good too but I don't like the half grills on the 7ii's. I never put my grills on from the beginning.

Fwiw, I love the unobtrusive design of the original RF-7s but they definitely needed to make the cheap plastic pins more sturdy.

I don't know that one could be called better than the other really. It's my feeling that all of the top of the line Klipsch speakers from the last 20 years are very comparable and it comes down to what flavor you prefer from the Chorus, Chorus ll, KLF-30, RF-7, RF-83 and RF-7 ll. I have not heard the RF-83 or KLF-30 yet but I'm sure it would be splitting hairs between them and what I have. They all do something a little different but are very comparable. Go with what you like or do what a lot of us do and keep them all! hahaha

I had my 83's and 7's hooked up at the same time right next to eachother for a while. Playing both at the same time was preety cool...

How did you do this and what material did you listen? Hmm

Well... I'm a bit of a nut when it come to testing gear. I need an
instant A/B comparison when trying to hear the difference in equipment. Disconnecting and reconnecting, just leaves too much time for an accurate comparison. My memory plays tricks on me. I have an amp I use just for testing (I also have a great amp selector made by Niles to A/B amplifiers with the touch of a button). It's a Yamaha MX-1. Really a nice little amp. It has an A/B selector on it, so I can switch back and forth with only the touch of a button. I sit on the couch and make my daughter switch back and forth when I say[:P] She kept pressing one button before releasing the other. Which is ok, the amp handled the efficient Klipsch like a champ. It's made to take two 8 ohm speakers at the same time. So every time I had both running at the same time I could'nt help but be impressed by the sound.

I am looking to move soon. In my new home I may do something like this again, but I would probably use two amps (I have plenty lying around) One like the MX-1 that has gain adjustments to match the speakers equally. I have my B&W 804's next to the RF-7's now that I use for different types of music, or I would have left the RF-83's there. The B&W's have an amazing midrange.

On a side note to the op.. I use a RF-7 as the center channel in my RF-83 system (extra from the all RF-7 system) Which is awesome! I've always used towers for my center channel. In a movie you will not notice the the difference between the RF-7's or RF-83's, but you'll notice a hugh difference in presence of the RF-7 compared to a RC-7 or RC-64. I'm sure you could sell a single RF-7 to someone looking to upgrade their center channel. Just thought I'd throw that out there[H]

I have heard an RF-83 against my RF-7 w/deanG head to head. I'm sorry, but the 83 couldn't hang around with highs or low end. Now the RF-7s were bi-amped and the 83's were not, however I don't think the bi-amping will make THAT much of a difference.

I had my 83's and 7's hooked up at the same time right next to eachother for a while. Playing both at the same time was preety cool...

How did you do this and what material did you listen? Hmm

Well... I'm a bit of a nut when it come to testing gear. I need an
instant A/B comparison when trying to hear the difference in equipment. Disconnecting and reconnecting, just leaves too much time for an accurate comparison. My memory plays tricks on me. I have an amp I use just for testing (I also have a great amp selector made by Niles to A/B amplifiers with the touch of a button). It's a Yamaha MX-1. Really a nice little amp. It has an A/B selector on it, so I can switch back and forth with only the touch of a button. I sit on the couch and make my daughter switch back and forth when I sayStick out tongue She kept pressing one button before releasing the other. Which is ok, the amp handled the efficient Klipsch like a champ. It's made to take two 8 ohm speakers at the same time. So every time I had both running at the same time I could'nt help but be impressed by the sound.

I am looking to move soon. In my new home I may do something like this again, but I would probably use two amps (I have plenty lying around) One like the MX-1 that has gain adjustments to match the speakers equally. I have my B&W 804's next to the RF-7's now that I use for different types of music, or I would have left the RF-83's there. The B&W's have an amazing midrange.

On a side note to the op.. I use a RF-7 as the center channel in my RF-83 system (extra from the all RF-7 system) Which is awesome! I've always used towers for my center channel. In a movie you will not notice the the difference between the RF-7's or RF-83's, but you'll notice a hugh difference in presence of the RF-7 compared to a RC-7 or RC-64. I'm sure you could sell a single RF-7 to someone looking to upgrade their center channel. Just thought I'd throw that out thereCool

Exactly why I made my custom RF-7 into the wide array. There is more detail and depth compared to the RC-7. Which BTW, I still love the RC-7, I'm using 4 of them for surrounds.

Yeah I hate the series 3 reference grills. Awful design. The series iv are great. The series v are good too but I don't like the half grills on the 7ii's. I never put my grills on from the beginning.

Fwiw, I love the unobtrusive design of the original RF-7s but they definitely needed to make the cheap plastic pins more sturdy.

I know this is an issue for almost everyone but...I've had my 7 's about 10 years and the grills look just like the day I bought them, fine.I actually really like the look and don't really like the 83 grill look, but it's ok, the 7ll is out completely and I have no idea what klipsch was thinking but it stopped me from further consideration.For on and off I suppose the 83 is much easier but I really just listen to em', only removing to dust rarely.I can see why the pins must be an issue cause every used pair I ever bought had at least one if not several damaged.I've owned 3/5/7 RC 3/rc7/rsw15 and 12 all bought new and when I sold them they were undamaged, although anything could happen they don't break themselves.

• Moderators

I have heard an RF-83 against my RF-7 w/deanG head to head. I'm sorry, but the 83 couldn't hang around with highs or low end.

I agree that the RF-7's that I have are brighter in the high frequencies but the RF-83's had more bottom end in my room.

well I went to look at a RC7 today and was all gungho about keeping the RF7's as long as the center is as good as the seller described.I get there and there are quite a few dings on almost all of the corners,the logo on the grill was missing, and of the drivers had the plastic piece around it dusted up pretty good.So since he was asking $500 and said he was somewhat flexible on the price before I knew there was anything wrong with it.So I thought to myself well there is a brand new RC7 woofer with the plastic surround for $75 and I could probably get the logo from Klipsch for free and then just deal with the dings if I could get a good price on it.Nope he went down $50 is all after I seen everything that was wrong with it.

But the one thing I will say is that the RC7 sounds absolutley AWESOME.WOW I had no idea it sounded that good.That could have changed my mind right there.

I have heard an RF-83 against my RF-7 w/deanG head to head. I'm sorry, but the 83 couldn't hang around with highs or low end.

I agree that the RF-7's that I have are brighter in the high frequencies but the RF-83's had more bottom end in my room.

Are you talking about a DeanG RF-7? His mod really does make the bottom end tighter and more prominant.