I'm feeling kinda dirty....

Coytee

• Moderators

These Bose might just kick sand in your face, they use the same large format B&C compression driver that Klipsch used to use.

Not saying they can not make good speakers it's just not what there trying to sell to the public. If they used just 1/2 of there marketing budget for real development they would actually have "better sound through research" as they advertise.

One of there own people said with a $ 30M budget you can even sell dog poop if you wanted, and that was 6-7 years ago when he said that, I don't know what the budget is now ?

I just stumbled across this ad:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ele/2781606007.html

Sweeeeeeet!!!!

Bose and Klipsch speakers system - $550 (Henderson)

Date: 2012-01-03, 1:08PM PST
Reply to: sale-rfwgg-2781606007@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Bose 401 floor speakers, Klipsch RC-52 center, and Bose 2001 surround speakers. Awesome sound the best. Must sell do not have the room. Excellent shape and sound. $550.00 OBO call 702-210-4760

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
image 0 image 1
image 2

Cliff Henricksen (retired 2009)

Senior Engineer, Bose Corporation, Framingham MA, 1993-2009

VP of Engineering/Co-owner, US Sound Ship Bottom NJ 1987-1993

Senior Engineer/Manager of Transducer Group, Electro Voice, Buchanan MI,
1983-1987

VP of Engineering, Community Professional Systems, Chester PA, 1980-1983

Manager of Acoustics Research, Altec-Lansing Professional, Anaheim CA,
1974-1980

US Sound (owned by Carver) was purchased by Bose in 1993.

Interesting dichotomy between Bose Audio and Pro Bose. Their consumer product division typically appears to disclose as little as possible, where as their Pro division bears seemingly everything, and quite conservatively at that.

While working at the National University of Singapore in the late 80s we acquired Bose subwoofers for one of the auditoriums. They were very long tuned tubes...can't remember exactly how long but 20' or more. They were designed to hang from the rigging behind the backdrops of the stage. The Bose techs labored long to get them just right and were quite forthcoming with details.

Again, I can't recall any technical details, but I can attest they were DEEP and LOUD!

Dave

I will have to admit, I own a pair of Bose 901's. I would have never paid $0.10 for then but, they were given to me free, so I took them. I even got the equalizer box with them. Hooked then up and they really didn't sound very good at all. Read a fair amount and finally decided to throw the equalizer box down the hill and used just an old slide type equalizer, after messing with it for a while, it really didn't sound bad. I have them hanging in my shop in the basement.

How do they compare to my Khorns (enclosed backs) and my DBB, not even close, but I will also say I have heard a lot worst.

They were free, what the hay.

Cigarbum

I am visiting my mom right now and a Bose Wave radio is all I got up here. Playing flac tunes off an portable HD with all the musuc using my laptop, via an HRT music streamer II into the Bose. It makes it bearable. Coytee, send me a pm and I will send you a bunch of 900 numbers.

Cheers

No I would never buy or build a home theater system or primary 2 speaker with Bose at this point in life. However if I wanted a nice desk radio for listening to the radio or could get a big wave box for the kitchen used at the right price, yup those are nice sounding bassy for niche use. They are still woefully overprice IMHO but kudos to Bose anyway for table radios that make a simple solution for room filling radio playback. In my childhood (pre-Klipsch) the 901's looked cool with the "unlimited power handling" and tulip stands.

I am visiting my mom right now and a Bose Wave radio is all I got up here. Playing flac tunes off an portable HD with all the musuc using my laptop, via an HRT music streamer II into the Bose. It makes it bearable. Coytee, send me a pm and I will send you a bunch of 900 numbers.

Cheers

"Bottom Notch"

Guest Anonymous

Cheers

"Bottom Notch"

Thats Classic....