The Captain "fell" overboard....

oscarsear

This Costa Concordia cruise liner deal is a real live nightmare. I have been on one such cruise and during that experience this huge ship pulled extremely close to one of the Channel Islands off of California. All I thought of then was how much draft clearance is below this beast? The Costa Concordia Captain apparently failed to properly oversee the ships complete evacuation from on board the vessel. His story now is that he accidently 'fell overboard' and amazingly just happened to land in a 'life raft'. By the time they're done with this guy he's gonna wish he'd accidently shot himself with a flare gun.

This Costa Concordia cruise liner deal is a real live nightmare. I have been on one such cruise and during that experience this huge ship pulled extremely close to one of the Channel Islands off of California. All I thought of then was how much draft clearance is below this beast? The Costa Concordia Captain apparently failed to properly oversee the ships complete evacuation from on board the vessel. His story now is that he accidently 'fell overboard' and amazingly just happened to land in a 'life raft'. By the time they're done with this guy he's gonna wish he'd accidently shot himself with a flare gun.

They could make this into the cruise ship version of "Airplane" but everyone would think that "Airplane" is the one based on a true story.

Italy may be able to avoid bankruptcy if they can figure out a way to get paid for this captain's absurdities. All the late night talk shows are getting way too much free material out of him.

Lou

I didn't rape this woman, I merely tripped and landed on her, penis first.

Let's keep it in order, his penis was used first prior to him falling off the ship and into the life boat where I'm sure they poured booze down his throat to stop him from going back on board and doing his duty.

• Moderators

I don't really know what happened but just the ship being that far off course is enough reason for him to never pilot another ship.

With the job of being responsible for over 4000 people aboard nothing other than doing the best that can possibly be done is expected.

This is a quote from a news article with quotes from other ship captains.
http://www.seattlepi.com/business/article/Seafarers-outraged-that-captain-jumped-ship-2629472.php

"Schettino should have remained
on board "until the last passenger was accounted for," agreed Abelardo
Pacheco
, a Filipino captain who was held hostage for five months in Somalia
and now heads a seafarers' training center in Manila.

"That is the responsibility of
the captain. That's why all privileges are given to him. But he has together
with that an equal burden of responsibility," Pacheco said."

I think everyone is judging him prematurely. We should:

1. Gather all the facts

2. Examine the charts of the area

3. Compare the record of the ships recorder

4. Analyze witness testimony.

5. Keel haul him from the largest oil tanker we can find.

6. Cut the rope.

Need to be fair, donchaknow.

Dave

Italy spent about 15 years trying to prosecute someone - anyone, on extremely tenuous grounds, for the death of Ayrton Senna who died in a single car racing accident during the San Marino GP at the Imola circuit in 1994.

The Italian judicial system is extremely tenacious and the "captain" - who is clearly culpable - is TOAST. Looks like it's going to be over 30 counts of manslaughter.

James

Think about this, he is under house arrest, at home with his wife, I hope for his sake they do not have internet at home where the wife can read about his 25 yo shadow.

I would say leaving her with (a) that information and (B) him locked up in her house might be a good start on his punishment.

Lou