I just love my forté IIs too much!

wuzzzer

Over the past couple months I've passed up a pair of LaScalas with Crites' crossovers and tweeters that were listed for $750, a great looking pair of Cornwalls for $500 and a pair of KLF-30s. All on local craigslist ads. Every time I get close to pulling the trigger I just can't do it! Anyone else in the same boat as I am? Eventually I'd like to set up a 2 channel system in my basement and then maybe I'll give a different pair of speakers a try.

• Moderators

Yes and no, yes I love the forte, but no, still collected a bunch of others.

The forte is a great all around speaker, not really picky about amps and a very nice overall sound without a huge cabinet or price.

Those Lascalas and Cornwalls were a GOOD deal.

If I were you, when and if you ever decide to try something different I would go LaScala.

To me it would give you a much bigger change in sound, cornwalls are closer to the sound of the forte than the LaScala is. It's the different midrange horn in the Lascala which makes the big difference, personally I would add a sub with LaScallas.

All just my opinion from having all three here to listen with. but still 1 opinion. [:P]

EDIT; Or just one day down the road build yourself some Cornscalas, the best from both designs. [Y]

Over the past couple months I've passed up a pair of LaScalas with Crites' crossovers and tweeters that were listed for $750, a great looking pair of Cornwalls for $500 and a pair of KLF-30s. All on local craigslist ads. Every time I get close to pulling the trigger I just can't do it! Anyone else in the same boat as I am? Eventually I'd like to set up a 2 channel system in my basement and then maybe I'll give a different pair of speakers a try.

That is a timely post. Just bought a pair of Forte IIs last night and was sitting here listening to them thinking.... Where else in the world could I have gotten sound that fine for $365.00?

Bob Crites

Now if you do have a wife, children, lover, paid companion etc.and they run across the following:

I just love my forté IIs too much!

You are in big, big trouble, and no I'm not talking about berserko yelling at you kind of trouble. I'm talkin about the arched eyebrow, or maybe "the I'm gonna puke expression", or if you are really unlucky, the condescending, oh, the oh so condescending pat on the head, from your significate other(s).

As a matter of fact , you'd better amend that title cause the rest of us here are starting to feel our skin crawl. [:D]

I know that I would not have any trouble pulling the pin on my Forte ll for a pair of KLF20 or 30 (for a good price) but I would immediately swap out the poly tweeter diaphragms in the KLF's for the stock phenolic diaphragms in the Forte ll. My Klipsch all have Ti mids and tweeter diaphragms thanks to Bob and Klipsch. I would also jump for a working pair of CF3 or 4. Best regards Moray James.

Eventually I'd like to set up a 2 channel system in my basement and then maybe I'll give a different pair of speakers a try.

Since you live in Minnesota and I reside just 8 miles west of Downtown Minneapolis.........

If you want to try out a different pair of speakers that won't cost you anything, I will again send an invitation to you to hear a pair of Khorns with Altec Midrange horns at my place. I also have these in my basement, so It's something that you may want to consider. After decades of shopping systems and speakers, I heard speakers similar to these at a friends place, and I decided to pursue these. That was over 7 years ago and have not thought about replacing these speakers since. I also have 45,2A3 and 300B Welborne SET amps. It would be a good oppurtunity to hear a lot of different amps and Speakers (I have a pair of SIngle driver speakers as well). --- And the Beer is Cold and the wine is chilled!

Cut-Throat: that's a very kind offer and with a great selection of amplifiers. As I used to say when I was in sales "if you don't find anything here that you like then you wern't looking". I am curious, with your Altec mid horns how far back doy you have to sit for them to intigrate nicely? Do you notice a difference in this respect between these and the stock K400 horns?You are still set up as a three way correct? Do you use the K77 or have you switched to another tweeter? Thanks for the information. Best regards Moray James.

Cut-Throat: that's a very kind offer and with a great selection of amplifiers. As I used to say when I was in sales "if you don't find anything here that you like then you wern't looking". I am curious, with your Altec mid horns how far back doy you have to sit for them to intigrate nicely? Do you notice a difference in this respect between these and the stock K400 horns?You are still set up as a three way correct? Do you use the K77 or have you switched to another tweeter? Thanks for the information. Best regards Moray James.

I have a Large Basement Room. It is about 25'x33' .....I have the Khorns set up so that they are about 21 feet apart. I sit between them and about 12 feet back. The Altec 1005B horns provide such a wide dispersion pattern, they actually intigrate nicely most anywhere in the room. Since I never tried the Khorn Top Hats, I cannot compare them. When I bought the Khorns, I immedialtely installed the 1005B horns. I had them at my firends house with the Altec Horns and his Top Hats and the Altec Horns sounded so much better that it sealed the deal for me.

Yes, I am still set u as a Three Way and I am still using the K77 Tweeter. I tried a B&C Tweeter once, but I could not tell much of a difference. I buit a custom single order Crossover with Dean Wescott doing the design.

Here is the picture of my Listening room, before I had the Horns Painted Gold.

FinishedBasement2-1.jpg

Wuzzer;

I also would never part with my forte II. When you think about it the definition of the word forte is STRENGTH! And Strength is what these speakers have accross all genres of music. I bought mine new in 1992 on sale for $850.00, MSRP at the time was a $1,000.00 I believe.

INMHO equal to and better than the Cornwall in many ways, one would need to go to a full horn model for anything better.

If you factor in inflation, a set of speakers that sold for $1000.00 in 1992 would retail for at least $3,200.00 today! Why on earth would anyone sell $3,200.00 worth of sound for $500.00?

In addition there is nothing new on the market that keeps up with my vintage 3 ways in my opinion.

Get the KLF's if you feel that you need, but don't part with the forte II if you can help it. I am fairly certain that you will end up regreting parting with.

Best regards,

John

Eventually I'd like to set up a 2 channel system in my basement and then maybe I'll give a different pair of speakers a try.

Since you live in Minnesota and I reside just 8 miles west of Downtown Minneapolis.........

If you want to try out a different pair of speakers that won't cost you anything, I will again send an invitation to you to hear a pair of Khorns with Altec Midrange horns at my place. I also have these in my basement, so It's something that you may want to consider. After decades of shopping systems and speakers, I heard speakers similar to these at a friends place, and I decided to pursue these. That was over 7 years ago and have not thought about replacing these speakers since. I also have 45,2A3 and 300B Welborne SET amps. It would be a good oppurtunity to hear a lot of different amps and Speakers (I have a pair of SIngle driver speakers as well). --- And the Beer is Cold and the wine is chilled!

PM sent. Perhaps we can have a little party.