REAL Chef(s) ONLY Recipe Thread!

Mallette

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome dog......

grilled 4 oz polish sausage. Butter your poppyseed bun on the inside and brown it in a pan.

top with spicy mustard. Shredded sharp cheddar, pepperincini, jalapeño, one crumbled slice of fresh bacon( non of those nasty bits) and finally paperthin crispy fried onion string!!!! At least two beers handy to wash it down and double up on your Lipator!!!!

Hot dogs are a "staple" food item in this house. I'm partial to the Hebrew National or Nathan's brands. I tend to shy away from the cheapo brands.

So much so that I got one of these for Christmas a few years ago:

http://gizmodo.com/026766/hot-diggity-dogger

A few of my favorite combinations... Slaw dog with shredded cole slaw, dill pickle spears. brown mustard, & celery seed. Kraut dog with sauerkraut & brown mustard. And of course the ever popular chili cheese dog which is pretty much self explanitory.

The ones I eat the most though are pretty plain. Grilled dog, toasted bun, mayonaise, ketchup, diced onion and a light dusting of Nature's Seasons.

OK... Now I'm hungry again and I just finished a terrific lunch of fish & chips at a local Mom & Pop diner.

Dave,

A great tool to have in your kitchen is an authentic Japanese mandoline

Beringer is the best brand and about $39.95 on amazon.

it's a plastic slicer with a very very sharp blade and a screw adjustment for micro fine adjustments. Also comes with Julianne attachments

. with a berenger you can slice an onion paper thin and that's all you Need

so with a razor sharp nife or implement such as I described cut a medium onion in half. ( those Texas sweets are awesome). And proceed to slice them paper thin. So thin they are limp and leaching water.

dredge in seasoned flour and drop immediately into a fryer or Pan of good oil at 325-350 degrees. Shake or stir so they don't fo a big clump and fry until golden brown and crunchy.

this technique uses the onions own juices to fo rm a batter when they hit the flour. Gotta work fast to get it just right but they are great on everything.

I'll try to find a link to the slicer. I can't live without mine

If you are from Cincinnati you'll get this....if not... well....

http://skylinechili.com/signature.php

Ok, for some it might be pablum for the masses. For others it's an excellent 2:00 a.m. treat that is the perfect size (I'm speaking primarily of the chili-dogs)

funny story. Short version. Moved to cincy when I was 16. My cousin was about 25 and snuck me out to go drinking at the " pickle barrel" in Clifton.

got trashed at about 1:00 am was asked by two of his female friends if I was hungry. Wound up at a skyline for the first time. Sitting there with two "cougars" lol. Asked what I want and I hadn't even looked at the menu. One girl then proceeded to ask a 16 year old his dream question. " would you like to have a three way? We love a three way!

needless to say I was all bevis and butthead for the next two minutes!!!!! Uhhhhhh. Huh huh. Uhhhhhh. Yessssssss. I'm gonnaaaaaa SCORE!!!!!!!!

all I got was a stinking plate of spaghetti with watery sauce and chesse!!!!!

If you are from Cincinnati you'll get this....if not... well....

http://skylinechili.com/signature.php

Ok, for some it might be pablum for the masses. For others it's an excellent 2:00 a.m. treat that is the perfect size (I'm speaking primarily of the chili-dogs)

funny story. Short version. Moved to cincy when I was 16. My cousin was about 25 and snuck me out to go drinking at the " pickle barrel" in Clifton.

got trashed at about 1:00 am was asked by two of his female friends if I was hungry. Wound up at a skyline for the first time. Sitting there with two "cougars" lol. Asked what I want and I hadn't even looked at the menu. One girl then proceeded to ask a 16 year old his dream question. " would you like to have a three way? We love a three way!

needless to say I was all bevis and butthead for the next two minutes!!!!! Uhhhhhh. Huh huh. Uhhhhhh. Yessssssss. I'm gonnaaaaaa SCORE!!!!!!!!

You were "mandolined"..... [6]

I'll try to find a link to the slicer. I can't live without mine

I have one...but won't let anyone use it without a filleting glove. Those things can result in a delayed meal...

So, I am already drooling over the simple onion rings. Compared to to the full size cousins, sounds like a can't fail easy one. If yer makin' fries anyway for dogs, fish, or burgers, any, why not use up the rest of the onions while your at it?

I am LOVIN' this thread!

Dave

Fender,

Speaking of the mandolin...... There are two versions; the one you linked, and the BN3 model. More expensive, but appears to be somehwat more heavy duty. As you know I do alot of stir fry (my son will eat anything stir fried or grilled....), and the old 8" el cheapo sucks.... What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Benriner-BN3-Slicer-Large/dp/B00032RZNK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

One girl then proceeded to ask a 16 year old his dream question. " would you like to have a three way? We love a three way!

Well, at least you got that experience thinking a 3 way with "cougars" until the truth came out. I hope you didn't embarass yourself..... [:o]

• Moderators

As you know I do alot of stir fry (my son will eat anything stir fried or grilled

I think I might have an idea you may like, I found it on a bbq/smoke forum. It might sound crazy but it works great.

It is NOT professional but is cheap, indestructible and works great.

Get a new disc from a tractor supply place, or a old one that does not have pits in it, the plain round style works best. cut a piece of metal the same thickness and weld it in the center hole where it normally bolts to a disc, grind smooth. Weld on some handles, sand off any paint then season it like a cast iron pan.

They come in many sizes, I picked a 22" size, it's about 1/4" thick in the middle and about a 2" concave . The 22" was $30 at a local tractor supply place, different sizes were different prices, they go up to over 36", but start to get heavy real fast in the larger sizes.

I use it outside on a fish fry burner on a bbq/smoker I built. The reason it works well is it's not as steep as a Wok so you can move the food to the outside edges when adding other food that cooks at a different speed, everything stays hot and can be mixed back together easily. It cooks fast and holds enough to do it in one shot, it really works great.

This is a pic right before I started seasoning it, you can see the depth in this pic, it is a little heavy but cleans easily and is fun to cook on.

post-11804-13819689171216_thumb.jpg

$26.40 now. May have to get one of those. Our daughter can't have yeast. Triggers migraines. On a very strict organic diet for a few weeks she feels better, lost a lot of weight, and not as shaky as normal.

Went to a local Japanaese steak house the other night. Intending to eat on the cheap. $50 with nice tip. A father and daughter when we arrived. Just the 3 of use after that. Ok so much for cheap. But very good. All food prepared fresh at the table. Dawn's leftovers fed Dawn and myself for lunch the next day. Alea our youngest daughter ate pretty much all of hers except a bit of steamed rice. As I did I except the veggies.... me and cabbage don't get along.

For the quality and amount of fresh food. It was very good. A mandoline slicer may be very good for slicing up such things.

Thanks for posting.

When can I expect my FenderBlender prototype? (Fender is designing and coming out with his own line of kitchen appliances.)

I have a MUI France Mach 4 mandoline sitting in the pantry that's never been used. The last GF just HAD to have one and then promptly never used it. If any you guys would like to have it I'd be happy to send it to you for the cost of shipping it. I'm never going to use it

I WILL dust it off before shipping. [:D]

I have a MUI France Mach 4 mandoline sitting in the pantry that's never been used. The last GF just HAD to have one and then promptly never used it. If any you guys would like to have it I'd be happy to send it to you for the cost of shipping it. I'm never going to use it

I WILL dust it off before shipping. Big Smile

For shipping I'll take it. See PM