Klipsch..pissing the neighbors off.....literally

Scrappydue

How many of you guys out there also own insane klipsch systems and live in an apartment/town home/condo? I am very respectful when my neighbors are home, but I find it funny how many people seem to own huge systems in these kind of residences! Throw your name on here if your in this club right now.

I used to in 1969 turn it on Saturday morning. Heard doors slamming, cars starting, etc, people leaving for somewhere. But it was worse when the guy in the apartment next to me started practicing on his trumpet.

JJK

Count me in.

There's something to be said about respecting dispersion and keeping tabs on how much total power is being put into the system.

I pay close attention to placement to pull off ridiculous SPL's at the listening position without causing an all out ruckus elsewhere.

If you've seen my youtube videos, my La Scalas are placed right next to one another and pointed straight at the couch to keep tight pattern control right down into the mid-bass region. Yes, there's a fair bit of comb filtering in the highs, but that's the trade-off for being able to put a very satisfactory 85dB SPL across the couch on movie night without being heard next door. They're simply not spraying sound all over the place.

I used to have a corner-loaded horn subwoofer that could literally idle at absurd levels. Because it was hardly using any power at reference levels, very little in the house vibrated.

Now that I'm back to a normal direct-radiating subwoofer, I have it situated practically right next to my head to keep SPL's up but the required power levels low.

We watched Avatar on Blu-Ray at reference levels the very first night the disc came out. I went over to the neighbors and asked if he didn't mind if we listened at shameful levels for the evening. He said he couldn't hear us. I said "[bs] , we're knocking stuff off the shelves up there right now!" He invited me in for a brief moment and sure enough, nothing....Even though the sub couldn't have been more than 10 feet away. [:^)]

That and a little respect, like you said, and not a single complaint in over 5 years.

• Moderators

Not now, but when I was in college, I lived in an appartment. While watching "Operation Dumbo Drop" I received a knock at the door....dude upstairs called the cops on me. Really? Operation Dumbo Drop? Glad I wasn't watching Die Hard which has actual explosions. Probably would have went to jail. LOL

Not now, but when I was in college, I lived in an appartment. While watching "Operation Dumbo Drop" I received a knock at the door....dude upstairs called the cops on me. Really? Operation Dumbo Drop? Glad I wasn't watching Die Hard which has actual explosions. Probably would have went to jail. LOL

ROFL

In 1995 I lived in a duplex in Oklahoma City. The other half was occupied by a couple of college students who liked to "turn it up". I asked several times that they keep the levels down, without effect, so I brought a pro audio amp home from work (1500W/channel). Next time they "turned it up", I put "Inna Gadda da Vida" on the turntable and CRANKED it. It was so loud that I had to leave the room.

After the song played, there was nothing but silence from their half of the house. I knocked on their door, and when they answered, I said, "If you want to have stereo wars, you are seriously out-gunned."

I never had any problems with them again.

• Moderators

No neighbor problems, the closest house is about 600' away, only on two sides, they do still hear the yard speakers, one commented once we both like the same kind of music so I know they can hear it. I do point them away from the neighbors direction as much as possible.

I live in a house, not an apartment but I've still had the police called on me during a spirited session of partying with my KP-250's.

was hoping you'd chime in. he was demo'ing his outdoor party rig for me back in February and one of his daughter's friend, 2-3 blocks away, texted and asked if it was us. [6]

Live in a rather small Condo. I have an Onkyo SR-608 (175W per channel) along with a pair of Forte IIs', Synergy SC-1 center (Soon to be an Academy), SS-1 surrounds & SF-2 Towersas rears, KSW-12 sub. Figure it works as I don't call the cops when the neighbors are screaming at one another so they leave me alone about the loud. Must say I cannot wait until the house is ready...

i always have tried to be concious about how loud my system was. When i knew the guy below me left it was an all out musicfest. I also didnt have any subs and relied on my towers for the low end extension. I sometimes did turn up the xover too if it was a roudy movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes add me to this list. I just finished watching Act of Valor and apparently the neighbors just finished LISTENING to Act of Valor :) Oops..

I think this was my 1000th post...Finally, it only took me 7.5 years :)

Yes add me to this list. I just finished watching Act of Valor and apparently the neighbors just finished LISTENING to Act of Valor :) Oops..

I think this was my 1000th post...Finally, it only took me 7.5 years :)

congrats!! how was act of valor?