Hurricane Season 2012

Mallette

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 4 p.m. update increased the maximum speed to 100 mph near the coast, with 85 mph winds for the next 12 hours as Issac moves at 7-8 mph. This slow movement will drop a lot of rainfall.

I lived on Galveston island in 1979 when tropical storm Claudette arrived. We only got 24 inches of rain in 36 hours...

Up Highway 6 near Arcola, they got 42 inches in 24 hours (48 inches in 36 hours)--still a U.S. record, I'm told.

"I never saw real rain before then." It was like a Ridley Scott sci-fi when I looked outside.

Chris

• Moderators

I just got a tank of gas, a bottle of Macallan, and a jar of peanut butter. Good to go.

Good deal: you're probably going to need a bit more Macallan...

Just below that X by 16.92 is where were at.

We had 21'' of rain in 24 hours once about 10 years ago, so 17 would be ok if it's spread out over all day.

It's wind that worries me, and tornado's. We were gone but had 140 mph here in 2005 and never had any problems with the house, but we were also very lucky.

If my memory serves me right, Dtel is just north of Slidel. I think he posted a picture of his mom's house after Katrina and the damage was clearly evident. For another view of Slidel, http://www.katrinadestruction.com/images/v/hurricane+katrina+photos/. I hope that Issac treats them better than Katrina. The storm and tidal surge were the worst problems, while many of thought it was just the winds.

Dtel, keep you and your family safe.

Issac has slowed to 10 mph which allows it to intensify and also to become a huge rainmaker.

If you don't believe that slow rainmakers can cause problems, then you should have seen what Marshall endured in 2004. They had Charley, Francis, and Jeanne that all passed over a twenty mile area on the eastern Florida coast, Stuart and Fort Pierce. Charley was quick and destructive. The other two, Cat 1 hurricanes, just hung over the coast and soaked all the shingles and roofs. There was a lot of damage when the third one passed, even for the houses that survived the first two hurricanes. Shingles aren't meant to withstand fifteen hours of strong rain and winds.

• Moderators

Your right, were 30 miles North of Slidell La in Picayune MS, the only difference is we have no problem from rain or tidal serge here.

I helped clean out my Aunts house after the storm, she lived in Slidell, there were houses, boats and anything that could float or be pushed by waves were moved, including a 5 mile long concrete bridge. What I didn't see in those pic's was how much damage was done miles inland away from the houses that were right on the water. It was bad.

My mothers house was in Chalmette La, a crazy place to be for a storm considering it's surrounded by the marsh and the Mississippi river, separated only by a levee, on a good day. Every structure was underwater in the whole parish, the average depth was 8'. It was so bad once the water went down which took 3 weeks and people could go back to try to save anything, before you could get back on the hwy to leave the fire dept would use firehouses to wash off the mud and slime from the cars. Leaked fluids from cars and houses, and oil refineries leaking things into the flooded water. If you rebuilt you had to properly (through the right agency) remove all the topsoil off the property and replace it before building because of hazardous chemicals. Then after a few weeks in our lovely heat and humidity the mold was growing like crazy over hundreds of square miles in LA and MS.

We did see some crazy stuff, no bs.

Michael came down here about a year later, we brought him to the 9Th ward and N.O. suburbs and Chalmette. He was shocked, we told him the next day we would ride out to the Mississippi coast so he could see where the storm actually went onshore which was much worse, he decided he really didn't want to see it if it was worse than what he had seen.

We worked in it, and seen it for a year and got use to seeing what looked like a war zone and didn't realize what it would be like for someone who had only see it in the news. It reminded us what it was like when it was new to us also, so we could understand how he felt.

We did also take him to the quarter and to hear some music and other fun stuff, it was not a complete tour of destruction. [:$]

Dtel, thank you for the additional information. I'm sure I would feel the same way Michael did when he saw what was left.

The 7:00 am update has Issac slowed down to 7 mph which makes it worse of a rain maker than a faster moving hurricane. It now has winds of 70 mph with it increasing up to 85 mph winds. It appears that the outer bands are just about ready to arrive in New Orleans, so the rain is about to start.

Included is the latest rainfall map. For those of you a lot further north, say east of Indianapolis, check out the rainfall that you are also going to see 5 -6 inches of rainfall.

Storm QPF

The following link shows the potential for coastal flooding http://w1.weather.gov/tcig/php/tcig_index.php?sid=lix&threat=coastal. There is another tab that will show the inland flooding.

I hope you do well. I have to go out until after 5. I will check back later.

Just got to the office in Baton Rouge and it looks like a normal, sunny August morning here. The storm is still not up to hurricane strength, and is forecast to be Cat.1 at landfall. Last I heard New Orleans is not under a mandatory evacuation order, although quite a few folks have left anyway. The storm path is still not certain with half the models going west of the Mississippi River and half to the east. Coastal flooding is expected with several coastal parishes and counties under mandatory evacuation. It looks like this is going to be primarily a rain event with heavy rain inland the next 2 days, due to the slow movement of the storm. Good luck, all.

Watching and waiting, hoping for the best but ready for the worst.

• Moderators

Not bad at all, light rain off and on, breezy with strong gust occasionally. No wind that would be worse than when a good thunderstorm passes, fine so far still haven't taken down the ferns hanging on the porch. [Y]

Like Dave said; " Dang good thing it doesn't have another day or so to grow."

Really glad that did not happen, and we were luck it didn't gain strength the last 48 hours, just kind of drifted along.

They are warning about Baton Rouge which is in a direct line and not a lot of land to slow it down. In other words, prepare for some flooding.

Issac never made it to it's potential, thank goodness, but low lying areas around New Orleans and the surrounding areas need to take precaution.

Dtel, moving might be an oxymoron. Seven or eight miles and hour is about the same pace as the Toronto Maple Leafs, Jacksonville Jaguars and Houston Astros are moving towards the playoffs. A very slow and painful process. Fortunately, you may suffer for a day or two, while we have dealt with it since 1967. Not the same, but it does help explain slow moving!

The winds are starting to adjust and will now start coming from the south as opposed to the north. This will increase the potential for flooding.

• Moderators

Dtel, moving might be an oxymoron. Seven or eight miles and hour is about the same pace as the Toronto Maple Leafs, Jacksonville Jaguars and Houston Astros are moving towards the playoffs. A very slow and painful process. Fortunately, you may suffer for a day or two, while we have dealt with it since 1967. Not the same, but it does help explain slow moving!

The winds are starting to adjust and will now start coming from the south as opposed to the north. This will increase the potential for flooding.

That's funny, but your right it's been in roughly the same area since early evening.

We have been out of the hard rain areas that people closer to the eye have been seeing, I doubt we have 1/2 inch of rain total.