Hurricane Season 2012

Mallette

Issac continues to move very slowly. The 6 am advisory had it moving a 6 mph after going nowhere for 4 or 5 hours, with winds up to 80 mph. Twelve hours from now they are still projecting 60 mph winds, so this isn't going anywhere very quickly.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The winds are still at 70 mph at the core and Issac is moving at 5 mph nearly 24 hours after it first hit the mouth of the Mississippi River at least 24 hours ago. The storm has passed over New Orleans, but at it's present pace, it is still a big rain maker. Other than a friend in Florida who Francis passed over his house, I can't remember such a slow moving hurricane, which keeps pounding the coast. The center seems to be south of east of Baton Rouge which means the Mississippi River will continue to receive rain and swell up to flood the surrouding area.

I'm not sure what the ultimate roof damage will be with this slow moving of a storm. I think many will be lost with the amount of rain that has fallen over the past 24 hours.

Jason, pretty hard to complain about the president when the there are 70 mph winds over top of where Air Force One could land a plane. Moving as slow as Issac is, it could take another day or two at least. From a political perspective, Obama needs to show up as soon as it is safe to do so and I would guess that is the plan. The current climate is not safe to do so. I don't think they want to repeat what was done during Katrina!

Thankfully, Issac was a lot less than Katrina. It was very positive to see the mayor of New Orleans, the governor and the federal government all working to make people safe. We have come a long way in seven years.

It appears that Baton Rouge is now under the eye of Issac. The biggest danger may be the two outward cells to the right which may cause disaster. Remember that the danger on the Atlantic Coast, Gulf of Mexico, is always to the right of the center of the hurricane.

The worst area right now seems to be the Louisianna-Alabama border according to the weather radar I just checked. The northeast area bands currently near Jackson also show a lot of rain. They also were mentioning flash flood warnings for Slidell.

CNN was showing the flooding in Biloxi and Bay St. Louis not from a storm surge this time, but the sustained rainfall. It looks like the rain will stay until later today for those areas on the coast. Hopefully those of you in the area are safe. As much as you wanted rain, this might be "a bit more" than you wished for last week.

I just got out to drive around Baton Rouge and see little serious damage, mostly small limbs and a lot of water. No street flooding but the drainage canals are near capacity, with light rain continuing. Power at the house is out due to a power pole snapped in half but power is up at the office where I am now.

What is most notable about this storm is how slow it is moving and how long we've been under it's influence. Usually when a hurricane comes onto shore around here it passes by within 12 hours or so but we have seen effects from Isaac since Tuesday afternoon. There were strong wind gusts yesterday afternoon that weakened through the night with steady rain for the last 20 hours. I haven't heard any rainfall totals yet today but I'm guessing 6+ inches so far.

Baton Rouge seems to have gotten by fairly well and I wish the best for others who were affected by this storm. Now it's cleaning up the mess and waiting for the power to be restored.

I just got out to drive around Baton Rouge and see little serious damage, mostly small limbs and a lot of water. No street flooding but the drainage canals are near capacity, with light rain continuing. Power at the house is out due to a power pole snapped in half but power is up at the office where I am now.

What is most notable about this storm is how slow it is moving and how long we've been under it's influence. Usually when a hurricane comes onto shore around here it passes by within 12 hours or so but we have seen effects from Isaac since Tuesday afternoon. There were strong wind gusts yesterday afternoon that weakened through the night with steady rain for the last 20 hours. I haven't heard any rainfall totals yet today but I'm guessing 6+ inches so far.

Baton Rouge seems to have gotten by fairly well and I wish the best for others who were affected by this storm. Now it's cleaning up the mess and waiting for the power to be restored.

I saw in the paper that LSU and UNT are still scheduled to play their game on Saturday in Baton Rouge. On the other hand texas a&m and LA Tech have postponed their game in Shreveport that was scheduled for tonight.

I saw in the paper that LSU and UNT are still scheduled to play their game on Saturday in Baton Rouge.

I didn't see anything in my limited travels around town that would keep the season opener from happening. There has not been any news about postponing the game as of yet. By Saturday things should be fairly normal around here and people will be ready for some football.

UPDATE FROM THE DTEL CLAN:

This is Jennifer, Dtel's middle daughter. All are safe. No damage or flooding at this point. We are still catching the outer bands of Isaac with some pretty heavy wind and rain. Dtel's Wife (my mom) made this post on FB from her cell:

"As of now we still do not have power. There are several trees down and across the roads which have taken power lines out with them. The flood waters have risen to levels that make either road leading to and fin our home impassable. Still have some fuel for the generator and are anxiously watching the radar and crest times for the river. At this time the water is still flowing AWAY from us, but the water level surrounding our home is causing enormous stress. Thank you God for sparing us thus far from the misery and despair so many others are experiencing. Lord please comfort all of my friends and relatives who are in the midst of this storm. Please give them strength and courage."

My home has maintained power throughout this storm. As you can see, however, my parents can not get out to get here. Please continue to pray for our family and friends down here as Isaac leaves and we pick up the remains and rebuild, once again!

Great to see that everyone is fine and making due with being stuck at the house and not able to leave. The weather radar indicates that in another hour or two, all of Issac will be over land. The last band of heavy rain is on the west side of New Orleans and Lake Pontchartrain. Of course, all the water north still has to flow south, so the cresting levels of rivers is very important.

The Pearl River, that runs parallel to Slidel is about 6" below the level where it will flood, 13.44 feet with minor flooding at 14 feet, moderate at 17 and major at 18 feet. By Sunday at 4 pm the projected peak is 18 feet. Hopefully it be a bit less. Please send my best to your mom and family.

This site will show you the rivers around New Orleans, the current water levels and the potential height at cresting and when it will occur. http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/forecasts.php?wfo=lix

.... This site will show you the rivers around New Orleans, the current water levels and the potential height at cresting and when it will occur. http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/forecasts.php?wfo=lix

This is a link to an article about the current "problem" that just came to light earlier today. An already swollen river that's being threatened by a dam upstream in Mississippi . . .

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/Tangipahoa-Parish-orders-immediate-evacuation-after-potential-levee-breach-167994886.html

The Pearl is the river in question. She is 1-2 miles from a boat launch into the Pearl. It still appears as though the water is going down (in their yard) pending the cresting river and "branch" overflow which runs walking distances from their property as well. They are projected to receive electric service back late tonight or possibly tomorrow. Will update if necessary.

WS65711

I saw the report on CNN about the Tangipahoa Resevior, but it doesn't feed into the area that Dtel lives. It is a bit to the east when I searched Google Earth and influences a different river basin. The people downstream of this resevior need to get out of the way, in case the dam can't retain the water.

The Pearl River is cresting upstream and at a major flooding level. If you go back a year ago or so, you will see that the cresting of streams and rivers was a major problem. All you have to do is go back a year ago and check out Irene to see the flooding and damage it produced.The rivers around the coast are on a more gradual slope and located at the headwaters and will not yield the same result in fast moving water which cause a different kind of damage. Water flows downhill and the land further north of the Gulf of Mexico is higher than the land near the coast. Lots of rain upstream has to flow back towards the Gulf of Mexico.