Yay for external amps!! (My journey)

Beechnut

Well, took me almost a year since buying my RF-7ii's and RC-64ii from Acousticsounddesign to finally add an external amp to my HT. I'm now experiencing the separation in music that is spoke of. And the dual 10s are finally doing what they are supposed to do! Totally worth the leap!!

So I was going to get an XPA-2 and let the AVR handle the center and surrounds. But, I decided that would make an expensive leap into separates later, even more of an expensive leap. Wouldn't be able to drive the other speakers if I go separates with an XPA-2. Sooooo, I am the proud owner of an Emotiva XPA-5.

What I love is the detail I get out of dialog from the center channel during movies.

In two channel, I can finally stand to listen to my Onkyo on pure audio. The one thing pure audio does on the Onkyo that I don't like, is it doesn't process lower freqs to the sub. So before, the Onkyo just wasn't good enough, to me, to make the RF-7ii's sing in pure audio. Found myself using stereo more often because that gives you output to the sub. Now I can enjoy it with the amp in-line as there is plenty of clean constant power to make those 10s produce the lows.

So my journey so far:

Join Klipsch forum after hearing co-worker la scallas and being amazed!

Sneak a steal of a deal on some blown Lascallas($275 I think), repair, refinish, try to bring in the house. WAF goes nuts, end up in the garage to enjoy out there.

Get the bug for ref series cause she likes the look. Decide not to settle on lower series and save up for top ref series

Save for months, hit the purchase on the front three

Hit a CL deal for $120 on some old RS-3s, use those for awhile

Start saving for a PB13 ultra ($2k) - side track to an RSW-15 ($750) and am very happy (I'll go back after one when I have a dedicated room)

Tell wife, "gotta do a day trip from San Antonio to Dallas. 11hr round trip. Meet a forum member and have a blast BS'n and talking audio. (Thanks Dan!!)

Wife helps me carry it in as she is cussing me cause it's huge and gonna be an eye sore =+) Love her! (it's grown on her...good to go now)

Save up for RS-62ii's, get those....sell the RS-3s for more than I paid for them!!

Save up for the amp and here I am.

So I bought everything new but the RSW-15. But saved up for everything over time. (this was important to me to not do it all on credit) Took me well over a year but I've got to a point that many people would dream to be. Very happy with my system, happy with this amazing forum, and very happy with the products!

Nice journey Beechnut, I'm right behind you and about 3/4 of the way there. I will take the plunge to separates in the very near future but for now I am gonna enjoy what I have. Patience is hard sometimes but it will only make me appreciate the upgrade that much more. It still amazes me the SQ I get with the reference series from my mid-range AVR.

I can only imagine the difference once I decide on a pre/pro and amp!

Enjoy!

But if the LaScalas were a No-Go, and she freaked on the RSW-15, how will you ever sell her on the Jubilees when you bring them home?

Just kidding, congrats and glad you are pleased.

Just steer clear of those infected with upgrade-itis!!

Roger

I won't lie, 3 402 horns for a front stage would certainly be the ultimate theater dream for me.

Very nice and kudos for saving and paying cash instead of using credit! Been listening to Dave Ramsey!? Nice system btw, I would like to find a nice RSW-15 someday. I hear they are very musical.

• Moderators

Very nice and kudos for saving and paying cash instead of using credit! Been listening to Dave Ramsey!?

Couldn't agree more. Dave has helped our family become debt free other than our home. [:D]

Beachnut, congrats on your purchase and having the patience to save and pay cash for everything. Audio gear sounds a bit sweeter when they are paid for. [;)] But we really do not believe your story unless we see some pics of the final setup. [:P]