Say it ain't so Joe Pa, say it ain't so!

JL Sargent

Anybody else here having a hard time digesting all this? I used to think Joe Pa was awesome. Now I'm saddened and sick over these abused kids and Penn States' lack of action. This Freed report is so bad:

"It is more reasonable to conclude that, in order to avoid the
consequences of bad publicity, the most powerful leaders at the
university - Spanier, Schultz, Paterno and Curley -- repeatedly
concealed critical facts relating to Sandusky's child abuse from
authorities, the university's board of trustees, the Penn State
community and the public at large."

They will probably remove any mention of Paterno ever being associated with the College. It may even come to the State College losing acreditation (sp)......It is a shame that such so called Educated people can be so stupid.....It was ALL about the Money and Ego's.....They should eliminate Sports from educational programs compltely. Wehn you can graduate college and not be able to spell Cat....something is wrong...!

I don't find it hard to believe at all. When a twenty five year old team manager who was the starting quarterback comes and tells you the retired defensive coach was buggering a ten year old, it isn't too hard to understand. You don't turn it into inappropriate touching, and you don't fail every single boy who was put at risk for the next twelve years due to your insanely selfish self interests.

Funny thing, folks try to pass Paterno's conduct off as old school denial or misunderstanding. Where I grew up, in the arch conservative mid Illinois town, the old school denial would have been refusing to go to the police because you took care of the mfn bastard personally, to the point where he never walked out of a shower again. At any time, with anyone. It is sad, but Sandusky will soon find out that the big jail has its own protection society, even if PSU and Paterno did not.

I have a nine year old son, so I have very strong feelings about providing safety and creating a safe haven for children. I don't find much gray in this situation, where a university, a football coach, and a sexual predator all found themselves on the same side of a situation for many years. It isn't hard to understand, and it isn't hard to figure out where Paterno's legacy lies, because of one decision.

• Moderators

They should eliminate Sports from educational programs compltely. Wehn you can graduate college and not be able to spell Cat....something is wrong...!

Just listen to some players in the NFL when interviewed, the College they came from should be embarrassed.

If any good is to come of this, it will be that responsible adults should now be alert to the danger of adults being left alone with young children.

In the 70s I taught driver education in a high school (as well as being an assistant wrestling coach). I would NEVER be alone with one student, male or female, in a car. It was best for everyone that a "witness" always be present. The policy was for the protection of students and teachers alike.

That was more than 4 decades ago. The students were 15 - 17 years old. Responsible adults, i.e., Paterno, Mrs. Sandusky, etc. should have recognized the impropriety of Jerry's behavior with adolescents. He was at best a fool to be alone with children; at worst a pedopohile.

FWIW I disagree with those calling for NCAA punishment of the school. PSU failed the children and is being punished. To stop the football program would punish athletes who are not responsible. Athletes in non-revenue sports (basketball might not generate revenue at PSU [;)]) would suffer from the loss of football revenue. The whole econmomy of Happy Valley would suffer.

Jerry rubbed people the wrong way . . . so to speak, but he's been brought to justice. Let the school divorce itself from Joe Pa and move on.

The Freeh report is available online. Of the 267 pages, more than half are footnotes, exhibits, etc. The emails and Joe Pa's handwritten notes are damning.

• Moderators

I'm not saying to eliminate Sports from collegiate programs, I'm just saying that education should come first, before anyone is allowed on the field. Unfortunately atheletes are given a free ride in school and it is a shame that Sports takes precidence over education....again it is all money driven.

That's is how I took what you were saying, and I also didn't mean eliminating sports and agree with what your saying.

Maybe this awful event can be a catalyst for rexamining the role of sports in education. Academics takes a backseat to athletics at schools because the athletic department is a money maker. The special treatment jocks get, from high school on up, is now reflected in the excuses, official and personal, made for the staff, all the way up to the ADs. At least one school I attended in the 70s maintained a harem of coeds for the jocks. Think anybody spoke up? Nope.

And people wonder why pro ball is corrupt...it is not a few "bad apples" whose punishments are trivial (to multi-millionaires) fines or suspensions. It's really the whole barrell, folks. If Michael Vick can be rehabiliated, then who is afraid of the disciplinary process?

Howard Cosell observed 40 years ago that parents should not encourage children to idolize pro ball players, because a lot of the players were w****mongers and adulterers. He got a lot of hate over that, but he was right then and wherever his soul is now, he must be laughing, or maybe crying, because he really cared about pro football and was grieved to see it being corrupted.

Are there more corrupt people running around today than there was 40 years ago? Are there more sickos preying on children today than there was back then when we played all over the neighborhood and told to be home by dark? No, there are not. What's different is that the bad guys are simply getting more attention these days. It's all over the news repeatedly. In those old days the Jerry Sanduskys of the world were swept under the rug and not discussed.

Did you know that in many public school systems these days kids are taught how to recognize improper "touching" and who to report it to? Awareness such as this brings perpetrators to justice. [Y]

• Moderators

Are there more corrupt people running around today than there was 40 years ago?

I would say YES, or 40 years ago they did a better job of hiding it ?

And your also right about the common thing was to sweep it under the rug to keep up appearances.