The culture of cheating......

oscarsear

They caught a contestant at the National Scrabble Tournament cheating. Yeah. The guy kept and secreted the blank tiles from a previous game and tried to use them in a later contest. But, I gotta wonder if cheating is not becoming part of the norm. Does it bother anyone else to watch professional baseball players do their utmost to lie and trick umpires into favorable decisions? Some of it is blatant, in-your-face cheating. I feel the same way about pro football players who hold a ball carrier erect and then furiously assault the guy to strip out a fumble. What ever happened to character? It is hard to hold these guys up as role models. Somehow cheating is now acceptable as long as you don't get caught doing it.

it's not cheating if you don't get caught. at that stage it's called "winning". It's interesting that you even ask this question without any reference to most major governments, many politicians, financial institutions, stock markets, and militaries, businesses, and so forth. look at all the settlements and scandals in our world today. it just seems naive that you only consider the prevalence of cheating after a botched scrabble game.

it's not cheating if you don't get caught. at that stage it's called "winning". It's interesting that you even ask this question without any reference to most major governments, many politicians, financial institutions, stock markets, and militaries, businesses, and so forth. look at all the settlements and scandals in our world today. it just seems naive that you only consider the prevalence of cheating after a botched scrabble game.

Garsh, Thad........ Mebbe it is just a matter of being brief or trying to stay in the realm of games? But thanx for your observations, input and facetious critique. And I do agree with you. Now tell us all how that makes it any more right or any less wrong? Ever hear the term 'trust'? I guess we can extract it from the dictionary as not being applicable any longer? Trust me.

Ever hear the term 'trust'?

Cheating seems to be gaining societal acceptance. I really don't watch professional sports now, and collegiate sports have always been just as bad (at least in American football). One sport that absolutely turns me off is international soccer ("futbol"). If this is training for our children to learn by, I refuse to participate.

I don't see much of an economic or other personal social upside to being honest nowadays--other than peace of mind.

Chris

But, I gotta wonder if cheating is not becoming part of the norm.

i guess i misread this question and assumed you meant culture as a whole, in which case it seemed naive for you to ask. cheating is increasingly more prevalent, rewarded, and finding the absence of any real consequences.

Oh c'mon oscar.....thad was "just being ironic". Had you search through his post history and then did an analysis, you'd have determined what the true meaning of his post. Whatever...... [8-)]

Anyhow.....as for cheating, as far as I know, the only sport that requires you to NOT cheat (basically spells it out) is tennis. In that, The Code (as it's called) always goes back to the premise that you are to call not just your opponents shots fairly but YOURS as well. Many a time I have told my opponent that my shot was clearly out when he had no chance to see where the ball landed. Could I have accepted his call when he said, "I guess it was in. I couldn't see it" ? Absolutely. But I'm also a firm believer that God will get me back if I do. Sadly, not all have those ethics.

ETHICS: Doing the right thing when no one else is watching.

But, I gotta wonder if cheating is not becoming part of the norm.

i guess i misread this question and assumed you meant culture as a whole, in which case it seemed naive for you to ask. cheating is increasingly more prevalent, rewarded, and finding the absence of any real consequences.

Thad... I apologize for my snarky reply. But you are spot-on correct. The abused ethics pervasive in many aspects of this world are becoming more and more distorted. The distinction between right and wrong now blurs to include 'can I get away with it'? I believe this leads to some very tragic decisions like those made by Sandusky or a Madoff. We can look at public sports figures(and others), see them stretch trust, honesty and integrity and if they succeed somehow they are forgiven? The acts are alone disturbing but even more so is the public apparent acceptance/tolerance of some of them - for whatever rationale. At some point long ago I guess we started down this slippery slope thinking it was perchance infrequent and relatively harmless. It is not harmless anymore.

Unfortunately yes cheating is becoming the norm starting with business and ending with games.

To keep their edge on the market, a company I was working for delivered over 3000 pieces of equipment knowing they were defect just to get them out. I am sure other electronic distributors do the same just to get their product on the market first or fastest or just to say we have it.

And I will not even start with economy or currency, that is one big lie from front to back...

I blame Captain Kirk's third taking of the Kobayashi Maru test scenario.

but it hasn't happened yet!? [:o]

Seriously, some things are just bad sportsmanship and not what I would call cheating per se. I remember warning a kid on the football field what was going to happen to him if he persisted in his actions... he found out I was serious. I guess I was a bad sport too! Ahh good times!

Sports are not just a game anymore... they are big money which certainly gives incentive. I don't know how you teach integrity other than trying your best to show by example. I know I fail sometimes but my father showed me better.

Golf is certainly a game that simply does not work without a certain level of integrity of the players. The pros are watched pretty closely with all the cameras but the rest of us certainly are on our own to be honest and follow the rules.

Somehow cheating is now acceptable as long as you don't get caught doing it.

If your not caught then what is it called?

What the customer doesn't see, the chef gets away with!

It is called low moral values. Not wanting to cheat or be unmoral in other ways is a personal choice however.

Last week I needed a new 5 liter gas container for my new mower. I went to the gas station and asked if I could first fill a new one up and then pay for the gas and container at the same time. He said yes and I filled her up.

He only charged me for the gas though and on the way to the car I realized something was wrong and looked at the receipt. Yep forgot the container. So in I go and tell him you forgot the container. His reply was "I did not know how to ring it up, I´m new here and alone." So I asked if the barcode would work mabie. "Oops did not think of that." he said.

Yes I had to pay and extra 9€ but felt much better personally. My friends think I am crazy.