Heresy III Review in November Stereophile

russ69

Well, it's not a glowing review by Art Dudley. No mention of what equipment he used for the review. I can't say I agree, he says the treble was raspy and tiresome. I find the Heresy to be very neutral in my system so I'm not sure what he is hearing. I'll agree that the tweeter is perhaps the weak link, lacking air and extension (my words) but I can't say I hear the same things he is hearing. Anyway, life goes on...

• Moderators

One thing to remember is many speakers out there are much more laid back and polite, Myself I like the more live dynamic sound as long as it's not overly bright.

I tend to not take very seriously what is reviewed except maby design flaws or obvious shortcomings. Mostly because even when they try not to price seems to change the opinion sometimes.

I guess that sums it up. Dudley and I are not on the same page. [8-)]

I feel like Paul Klipsch in saying that in order to get the Heresy III to sound harsh, one has to intentionally make it sound that way.

Bad source, bad gain, bad placement, using the volume to look for bass ...or any combination thereof, but certainly not the speaker's fault.

SSDD: we are all subject to our personal bias when we listen Happens to all of us I include myself there too and I make a great effort to be aware of it. We see the very same thing here, take a Heresy ll and a Forte same horns with some minor differences in the networks even a Cornwall has a K700 and tangents with the same Heresy ll parts and look at the varried opinions that we see.Debates over how different the sound is between a Foorte ll and a Chorus ll exact same horns different woofer so much more alike than different. You have to know that the abuse any manufacturer takes is generally because they are making the competition nervous. Lets see where they are in 20 years from now. Hope that Iam still hanging around here then, I like the company. Best regards Moray James.

Well, it's not a glowing review by Art Dudley. No mention of what equipment he used for the review. I can't say I agree, he says the treble was raspy and tiresome. I find the Heresy to be very neutral in my system so I'm not sure what he is hearing. I'll agree that the tweeter is perhaps the weak link, lacking air and extension (my words) but I can't say I hear the same things he is hearing. Anyway, life goes on...

Raspy in the treble sounds more like the mid range driver. Some folks just don't like horn/compression driver sound and find ways to express their bias in what they hear. I have heard that for years about "horn sound" and take it as that- a bias. I have not read the article so I better wait before I say more about the review.

I have all models in the Heresy line. In my opinion, the Heresy I with Alnico tweeter sounded the best. With 15 pairs of Heresy (2 pairs of Heresy III, 3 pairs of Heresy II and 10 pairs of Heresy I) in the last 9 years, you'd think I would know?

No mention of what equipment he used for the review. I can't say I agree, he says the treble was raspy and tiresome.

Sounds like he was hearing what an accurate transducer does with a transistor amp.

I was high on Dudley at Listener magazine and I think you'd have seen a different review there from him, but he sold out big time to high priced snake oil when he went to work for $tereophile.

Dave

I have all models in the Heresy line. In my opinion, the Heresy I with Alnico tweeter sounded the best. With 15 pairs of Heresy (2 pairs of Heresy III, 3 pairs of Heresy II and 10 pairs of Heresy I) in the last 9 years, you'd think I would know?

Nah, your biased, 2/3rds of your Heresys being H1's. Now if you had equal amounts of each speaker we could defer to you. [:P]

When I upgraded one of my Heresy IIs to Heresy III spec with the Klipsch upgrade kit, the sound was improved in every way: stronger and deeper bass, clearer mids and highs, along with the 2dB sensitivity increase.

I was using it as a front centre speaker, but it has been replaced with a Belle, and is now serving as the rear centre speaker. I plan to upgrade the rest of the Heresy IIs at some point.

• 4 weeks later...

The tractrix tweeter in the HIII is excellent. Perhaps if Klipsch had tripled the price there would have been more respect. Stereophile is vile.

That is so true. If they cost 25k, had solid gold speaker terminals

and a large advertising contract with that magazine they probably would have

been the best speakers he’s heard in years.

What do you guys think of these?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ele/3412727988.html