Happy Veteran's Day Weekend(or Armistice Day if you prefer)!

HDBRbuilder

To all of our forum veterans...Monday is YOUR DAY...thanks for being what you are/were in defense of our people and the Constitution! We wouldnt be here the way we are if not for you!

Lots of places give away free meals for the vets...don't be shy, it is yours, go get it!

All gave some...some gave ALL!

BELOW: Me in May 1974, almost two years into my 35-year military spree! Ready for a "hop'n'pop balloon blast" in Schaffen, Belgium! Airborne All the Way!

post-9310-13819823911796_thumb.jpg

It is the VETERAN not the preacher, who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the VETERAN not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the VETERAN not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the VETERAN not the campus organizer, who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is the VETERAN not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the VETERAN not the politician, who has given us the right to vote.

It is the VETERAN who salutes the Flag,

It is the VETERAN who serves under the Flag.

ETERNAL REST GRANT THEM O LORD, AND LET PERPETUAL LIGHT SHINE UPON THEM.

May God Bless them all!

Nice pic, Andy! You missed all the Viet Nam stuff, eh... All those guys, from before and up to now and in the future need our support, whether we agree on the politics or not.

Bruce

I never fired a shot in Viet Nam. I spent just over 27 straight months in the desert this time around, and never returned fire, but had to duck a few times here and there. No purple hearts, nor bigtime awards for valor, none of that stuff ever meant much to me, anyway. I have respect fo those who earned them, though and I salute them. My job was to follow orders, then to lead, in combat if necessary...and...after I got too old and decrepit for that, my job was to take care of Soldiers in different ways. I did those jobs for 35 of the last 40 years.

-Andy

As to the Vietnam stuff...today's Houston Communist [:P] led with a story about the new Texas Vietnam Veterans memorial. Second paragraph: "The Vietnam conflict, which ended with the occupation of Saigon..."

Sux. American combat action ended two years before that when the last US combat troops left after the peace of Paris where the NV functionally surrendered. They were so beaten they could hardly keep the lights on and US troops in Vietnam owned both the day and the night. Causalties in 1973 were the lowest since 1963...almost negligible as there was little resistance left. By the time the War Powers Act passed and the NVA was assured that the US wouldn't respond to a NV violation of the treaty, there were no US combat troops active anywhere near them. I didn't do a lot of research, but a Wikipaedia entry had US troop strength in Vietnam in April, 1975 as 50.

I've often suggested that, if we are to be judged as having "lost" the Vietnam war, we should also acknowledge that we "lost" WWI since the Germans occupied France 19 years later. 2, or 19 years after a clear victory. What difference does it make?

I was there, saw the intel, and have now lived to see history so rewritten as to make the above statements...though easily verifiable by a search...to appear to be those of a crazy old Viet vet.

I didn't agree with our war aims, but being young and stupid I did my bit anyway and used my VA benefits to the max. I say "Thanx" to the taxpayers for that. For being told not to wear our uniforms in public after touching down at SF Internation on the way home...not so much.

OK, just ol'Daves veterans day rant... Carry on!

Dave

No purple hearts, nor bigtime awards for valor, none of that stuff ever meant much to me, anyway. I have respect fo those who earned them, though and I salute them.

Kristy Lee Cook's song about her dad...

My guitar playing friend from just after high school was a clerk in Nam. He still has issues with some of the chemistry used over there.

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm laid up in the hospital with a ruptured appendix but had to check in and wish my fellow veterans good wishes for Veterans Day and certainly know that your services to our country is recognized and appreciated.

God bless.

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm laid up in the hospital with a ruptured appendix but had to check in and wish my fellow veterans good wishes for Veterans Day and certainly know that your services to our country is recognized and appreciated.

God bless.

Get well pardner! Good to hear from you! Happy vets day!

-Andy