never been admitted to a hospital before - wasn't that bad

Guest " "

spent 5 days in the hospital for a ruptured appendix. my condition seemed to be minor, but all the medical staff basically had me wondering why I did not collapse or even die from body toxins. pretty scary when your making sure the wife has all your life insurance info and knows where all your cash is stashed. got past the worst. staff was great. food was ok. worst part of the stay was the folks they kept bringing in who were in severe screaming pain.....all night long. home now for 2 to 3 weeks . have to do an IV every 6 hours for about 8 days. then maybe surgery. the body becomes very fragile as it gets older.

rest up and relax. spend some time thinking where to hide the cash and valuables again now that your wife knows where they are. Take it easy as mentioned you got toxic that is for sure so be good no junk no alcohol and lots of water. Get better and then get the leaky old apendix out when you are stronger. God bless you. Best regards Moray James.

spend some time thinking where to hide the cash and valuables again now that your wife knows where they are

This is written for all, not directed at Mr. James nor directed at Fritzie.

I presume these comments are all said in good gest towards our lovely spouses... that said, I'll jump onto one of my bandwagons that I really do feel strongly about.

If you happen to have a personal checking account, a personal savings, investment.... anything that isn't already Joint (with rights of survivorship) with the wife, then please.... call your bank, brokerage and get a 'POD' (Payable on Death, found at the bank) and/or a 'TOD' (Transfer on Death, found with your broker) and get those traits affixed to your accounts, ALL of them.

If something happens to you and you're gone, you are forcing your loved ones to take your indiviually titled account to probate to allow them to change the title on it. If instead you happen to love your family ( [;)] ) then I would contend you would get these POD/TOD traits registered on your accounts. Doing so is essentially, putting a beneficiary on these non-IRA type accounts and allows these accounts to go directly to the named beneficiaries WITHOUT going through the probate process.

Sometimes when I'm talking to people I'll mention that I view it as an act of love. If you love your family you will presumably want to make things easier for them at a time that will naturally be very difficult for them (your loss). On the other hand, if you have that wayward child that has never conformed and you want to give that child a final poke in the eye after you're gone, then simply leave your accounts in your single name without the TOD/POD traits and appoint that child the executor of your estate.

If we knew our personal check-out date this is all easy. Since we don't, I think it's something everyone should do yesterday.

Fritz, you've had a lot thrown at you, hang in there.

spend some time thinking where to hide the cash and valuables again now that your wife knows where they are

This is written for all, not directed at Mr. James nor directed at Fritzie.

I presume these comments are all said in good gest towards our lovely spouses... that said, I'll jump onto one of my bandwagons that I really do feel strongly about.

If you happen to have a personal checking account, a personal savings, investment.... anything that isn't already Joint (with rights of survivorship) with the wife, then please.... call your bank, brokerage and get a 'POD' (Payable on Death, found at the bank) and/or a 'TOD' (Transfer on Death, found with your broker) and get those traits affixed to your accounts, ALL of them.

If something happens to you and you're gone, you are forcing your loved ones to take your indiviually titled account to probate to allow them to change the title on it. If instead you happen to love your family ( Wink ) then I would contend you would get these POD/TOD traits registered on your accounts. Doing so is essentially, putting a beneficiary on these non-IRA type accounts and allows these accounts to go directly to the named beneficiaries WITHOUT going through the probate process.

Sometimes when I'm talking to people I'll mention that I view it as an act of love. If you love your family you will presumably want to make things easier for them at a time that will naturally be very difficult for them (your loss). On the other hand, if you have that wayward child that has never conformed and you want to give that child a final poke in the eye after you're gone, then simply leave your accounts in your single name without the TOD/POD traits and appoint that child the executor of your estate.

If we knew our personal check-out date this is all easy. Since we don't, I think it's something everyone should do yesterday.

Fritz, you've had a lot thrown at you, hang in there.

If you have any assets, form a trust. It is relatively easy to do and will make things 100 times easier. You can always change your beneficiaries if that is an issue.

Richard: you are of course correct. Anyone going through something like this will know exactly what you mean. I was only trying to be light hearted and amusing. That said I think that Tiger is absolutley rignt about setting up a trust. Fritz you can trust me. Good wishes and healing are on the way to you. Have you had your Klipsch today? Get on it now. Best regards Moray James.

Well you weathered a pretty dicey situation. Essentially you had an infected chunk of large bowel explode and spill not only infection but any bowel content into a sequestered and sterile abdominal space (where it is not supposed to be). It sounds as though they treated it conservatively with heavy duty intravenous antibiotics and close monitoring. And you survived the acute phase(s) and now are healing up. That takes a pretty tough constitution and some luck. Once I watched a 22 year die from a tooth infection. Infections are not nice if they get out of control. Too often we take modern medicine for granted. Wait just a tad too long and these things can easily go beyond a curable threshold. Jim Henson waited too long and gave his young life away to a very treatable bacterial pneumonia. John Wayne was great in movies but in real life if something feels serious it really might be. I am glad you prevailed but the message here should be to not take unnecessary risks. Today an appendectomy is practically a band-aide procedure. Age brings deterioration and we can expect these sorts of events. Us oldies should sorta kinda have a plan as to when to seek some help. No, you do not need to be wimpy but blowing out a gut was nowhere near wimpy. Take it easy getting back into regular foods and stool habits.

Thanks for all the comments. Finally feeling normal. 3 more days of IV's every six hours and I get a final cat scan and hopefully the two PIC lines that are in my chest get removed. It's been one help of an experience and when all is said and done.....its the family and friends that make a difference.