Favorite Klipsch for the opera/orchestral fan

JJack

Longtime lurker just joined.

I'm an opera and orchestral fan who is feeling that Klipsch is the right way for me to go, but I don't know which one to look for (Chorus, K-horn, LaScala, Cornwall, forte, etc).

I will probably only listen to the big pieces on this, as I have a second system with a standmount that I'd use for the little stuff.

I'm buying used, and it seems like there's a fair assortment of stuff in my area, although usually the prices are high. My budget would max out at 2500, and less would be great.

I'm really looking for something to blast Wagner, Verdi, etc at realistic levels. I have two possible rooms, one large one small, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I will eventually buy a matching amp for them, so I'm really just looking at the speaker variable right now.

I'm really looking for a clean (not crisp) treble, and not sure if that means I should be looking for upgraded crossovers or not. I like good soundstaging but I'm not that picky about bass transient speed. I have a REL sub but would rather not use it.

Lots of variables, I know, but what I'm really asking is what's your opinion of the "best" (in quotes, or "favorite") Klipsch for putting a full orchestra into my living room?

Thanks for your advice.

My suggestion is to get some Klipschorns, they come up on the used market fairly regularly.

You should listen to them first since they have their own set of strengths and weaknesses. Where are you located? Perhaps someone will let you listen to their setup. The used prices range between $1500-2500 (approx) with the higher prices for ones in very good cosmetic condition. Not infrequently, a very good deal will come along.

Of course the ultimate recommendation is for a Klipsch Jubilee, but that becomes more involved.

Just my two pesos...

KHorn first, and then LaScalas.

These are both more effortless in their presentation than direct radiator speakers. I've heard both, but own LaScalas, to which I am biased. I don't know if I have any Wagner to try. My composer son got me to listen to more orchestral works, one of which is the 58 recording of Resphigi's Ancient Airs with Antal Dorati conducting. Incredibly dynamic!

Bruce

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place with fantastic people, amazing resources. I would think that you could be very happy with used pair of Epic Series CF4 Rev one or two with a very solid stereo amp with a of minimum of 150 - 250 watts per channel or two good stereo amps of 75 - 100 watts per channel which would be my preference to bi amp vertically with. The speakers will need to be raised up so the centre of the horn is at your seated ear level. They can do everything yo want and are compact yet sturdy and weigh in at about 100 pounds each. If you have a medium size room a pair of CF3 would do as well. Superb horn providing excellent stage (height width and depth) image and detail will be limited by your choice of electronics. I hope that this is of interest and offers you some food for thought. Best regards Moray James.

My composer son got me to listen to more orchestral works, one of which is the 58 recording of Resphigi's Ancient Airs with Antal Dorati conducting. Incredibly dynamic!

That would be a very nice early choice if you're looking for selection recommendations. I second the suggestion above for local auditions as possible.

I also agree re K-horns as your first choice if you have 2 adjacent uncluttered corners (it gets harder if you don't have those). The deep bass (33 Hz) is special for the size of the sound and dramatic, dynamic depth. Good luck!

Speaking as a professional orchestra player (bass trombone), Klipschorns!

Hmmm.... Seems to be a pattern here! Jack, if you read carefully, I think you should be able to come to a decision. [8-|]

In reading, I was reminded of PWK's core mission and started to mention it here, but I think I'll take it to a new thread as I can't recall when it was last discussed specifically.

Dave

Kinda off-topic but I have a few friends who play (or played) in orchestras. Of the ones that have an interest in audio and earn enough income, they have gear that is quite different and I think may in some small way, be a result of their choice of instrument. The 1st fella that I considered an audiophile played the viola and his speakers of choice were Magneplanar Timpanis through which he listened exclusively to Classical music. Another played Tuba and French horn and he used JBL L300's and listened to everything BUT Classical (mostly folk and Cat Stevens-like stuff). An Organist/pianist friend had a large pair of Rectilinear speakers and drove them with McIntosh gear but hasn't hooked his system up in 15 years (he now listens to mostly '60's folk/rock, jazz and Bach through a small but nice Tivoli set up). Finally, there's a friend who played the trumpet in the US Marine Band (I think) and now with the NC Symphony who listens to pretty much everything - the odder the better, Zappa and Bartok come to mind. He uses vintage (read: old, dusty) tube gear with Klipschorns.

I'm sure there's a great deal of chance involved but thought there may be some link to the instruments played and the corresponding gear's presentation. Its also interesting that in each case, the speakers were the most considered and important piece of the system, in 2 cases to the exclusion of everything else (read: crappy SS receivers).

Wow, thanks everyone.

First off, I love love to hear these in a member's system. I live in southern Michigan so if there's a club meeting or a generous listener i would jump at that.

So, my wife said "those aren't going in my living room," which leaves me with my loft.

In the loft I have good parallel corners for Khorns, but I will only be about 9.5 feet away from the front of the cabinet. The space is acoustically large (it's a loft with a half wall that empties into a very large great room) which is why my current speakers can't get it done, the sound just empties into that large open room behind me.

So the question then becomes whether the Khorns or la Scala (love that name) will integrate properly at a distance of 9.5 feet and will there be decent imaging?

If I got Cornwall, Forte, or Chorus I could put them on a different wall that would get me 10.25 feet away.

The room will be treated with GIK traps and a diffusers, which are on their way to me now.

Is this a bad time to note that I just sold my glorious Cary single ended Kt90 mono blocks?

if the Khorns or la Scala won't fit in my room.

Khorns will actually take up less room than LaScalas. Drow out the base dimensions of the Khorn and you will see how nicely they tuck into the corners. You wife should like them, they erally look more like fine furniture than speakers. Just sayin' ... [*-)]

I like the Chorus/Chorus II a lot, and would have them if I didn't have LaScalas. You will need more power.

Bruce

Thanks, I drew in the specs for the Khorns for my loft, which gave me the 9.5 feet figure. Will try to do the same for la Scala

I have a 100 watt Luxman 505 so I think that would drive all the ones under consideration, assuming I didn't go back to tubes.

Where in southern Michigan are you; closer to Chicago or Detroit?

In either case, there are Forum members with Khorns and/or La Scalas reasonably close by.

At present, I have neither, but I have access to La Scalas with the bass bin mod that I restored for the local high school (see Ported La Scalas?). You could hear those in a band practice room to hear how they fill a large space.

Having owned both, I'd go with Khorns, if they'll fit.

Where in southern Michigan are you; closer to Chicago or Detroit?

In either case, there are Forum members with Khorns and/or La Scalas reasonably close by.

At present, I have neither, but I have access to La Scalas with the bass bin mod that I restored for the local high school (see Ported La Scalas?). You could hear those in a band practice room to hear how they fill a large space.

Having owned both, I'd go with Khorns, if they'll fit.

Closer to Detroit and I'm usually in metro Detroit once a week anyway.

I'd really like to hear those la scalas when they were on your Miata...

JJack,

I live in Bluffton, Ohio, about 3 miles off of I-75 between Lima and Findlay Ohio.

My Cell number is (419)-231-5494

I have TSCMs which are a Pro version of the K-Horn.

My brother in law has K-Horns in a 24 foot by 32 foot open room for good comparison to your loft and lives about 6 miles from me.

My buddy Keith has two Klipschorns and three LaScalas in a small room and lives about 15 miles from me.

None of us listens to classical, but if you brought your own listening material I could arrange for you to listen to all of them.

Give me a call.... Roger Gordon