Pipe Organ in da (church) house!

Mallette

New version up. Pretty much perfect in IE 9, and I am told by a reliable source also in Safari on an Ipad. Chrome and Firefox still wonky as heck.

Would appreciate a confirm on Safari performance from anyone with access to such a device.

Dave

Would appreciate a confirm on Safari performance from anyone with access to such a device.

Someone else will probably try this before the weekend is over, but I can try on Monday when I get back to work.

Bruce

Safari 6.0.4 on the Mac (newer iMac, i7 cpu, OSX, Lion). Everything works but the youtube/video links. These are in our art department, and don't have the Mac version of Firefox on them, so I can't check that.

I haven't tried Safari on Windows...

Bruce

Same report I got from a Applehead friend. I am working on translating it to Flash due to a request from clergy. I don't have any regular HTML skills or editors around, nor the time to figure it out.

While it's still a while off, I am very impressed with HTML5. This one was done using minimum new functions, but some other tests we've done suggest this will be a real web 3.0 type thing with a lot of new features and better experience.

Dave

• 8 months later...

Mallette, i had to search for the thread to find this.

Since the last time i heard you were a pipe/Klipsch organ nut, i've been interested in hearing/listening to some Bad a$$ pipe organ tones on my Jubilee's and Sub in two channel mode.

Do you have any links to some good and maybe free pipe organ stuff on line? Im looking for the coolest Bad a$$ stuff you've heard?

Well...speaking of "good to hear," perhaps some will take a moment to go to a test HTML5 site I put up at http://www.mbsdar.com/index.htm concerning this instrument. The "But what does it sound like?" page has four pieces I had the owner record in the garage where the instrument resides at the moment using a little hand held. They were totally dry, and I did an acoustic rendering using materials and reverb characteristics as closely as I could match to my church's nave.

Also, I am trying to figure out a couple of things. An mp4 I have embedded on the first page (first button, not the menu page) works fine in Chrome, but reports an unsupported MIME type or file not found in IE10 or Firefox. The YouTube video on the second page works in Chrome and Firefox, and on some PCs in IE but not all. Trying to figure this out.

However, happy to report that so far, the wav files play on everything.

Of course, you MUST have IE10 or higher, or later model Chrome/Firefox/Safari to be able to see it at all since it's HTML5.

Regards,

Dave

Glad to see your church has the organ up and running. After all a church should sound "churchy".

Two observations. The synthetic, whatever-you-call-it organ link sounded like processed music when played through my Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. Your own recordings which came in fine through the latest version of SeaMonkey (Mozilla) sounded great.

One thing you know about a true large pipe organ, is that nobody's about to haul them into a studio for a recording session Hence with a large organ you will always, and I mean always, hear the spatial presence of the venue. In other words, if you aren[t hearing the room, you aren't really hearing a large pipe organ. Period.

Pretty cool work Dave. Congratulations.

PS Right now I'm listening to The Commitments version of "Try A Little Tenderness" which uses a portable electronic keyboard for a churchy effect and it works. Works great actually but it's a great song by great performers. However, I'm not about to confess my sins after being brought to redemption in a fit of sobriety whilst listening to a little Ludwig B at the local cathedral.

Marty, it isn't in yet. I think best case is 90 days. I'd love to have it ready for Easter as we dedicated my last instrument at my old parish on Easter as well.

None of the recordings are mine. I had the current owner use a handheld to record the 4 pieces. They were totally dry, though really not too bad considering the equipment used. I took those and used Sound Forge acoustic modeling to "wet" them a bit...though no other processing.

i HATE processing, but on occasion it can actually be useful to put lipstick on a pig and in this case I think it justified as a pipe organ in a totally dry environment sounds like an acoustic guitar with the back off.

Any pipe organ folks seeing that site please note the, to my knowledge (and I am NOT an expert, just a passionate maven) unique use of double shades. After months of discussions involving some marvelous and way beyond the call input from a few of the best minds in the business I suggested this as a means of providing fine expression control to the organist. While small, this instrument was designed to be loud and draws 5.5 inches of water. Since it is small, it is also designed to entirely under expression (in a swell box). So...both to provide more extended expression opportunities to the organist and better control it I asked them if we should put the loudest stops...the reeds...in a separate enclosure. They went for it. The console has two pedals...one is the swell pedal which opens and closes the normal single set of shades, and the other is "crescendo" which simply brings more pipes on line as it is depressed. Few organists ever use it. So, I suggested we put both sets of shades on one pedal, and the reed shades on the crescendo separately. They jumped on it.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Yep, been awhile, but it's being installed...finally. 

Here's some pictures...

post-7390-0-57500000-1437345332_thumb.jp

Dual shades, one to choir, the other to nave.  Individually or collectively controllable.

post-7390-0-46860000-1437345340_thumb.jp

The console.  I loved the looks of the original 1941 console, but we traded for this fully restored 1965 as it has space for expansion and is in "plug and play" condition.

post-7390-0-12020000-1437345353_thumb.jp

Gemhorns...good thing choir is in summer recess! 

post-7390-0-12580000-1437345369_thumb.jp

16' Bourdon, also Lieblich Gedecht. 

post-7390-0-41700000-1437345382_thumb.jp
Biggest wind chest in place. 

So looking forward to it!   Not very big, but a gorgeous sound that will serve this parish for many decades to come.

Will provide updates and eventually, a recording.

Dave

Congratulations, this will be very much appreciated by your congregants. I attended a wedding in a large Anglican Curch in Toronto years ago - the first time I'd ever been in a church (I'm Jewish).

Next to being very pleased that I didn't burst into flames upon entering, the pipe organ they had just bowled me over. It was magnificent. Shortly thereafter I purchased some Bach CDs. There is really nothing that compares to the ambience they create.

All the best to you and yours.

Next to being very pleased that I didn't burst into flames upon entering, the pipe organ they had just bowled me over. It was magnificent.

Well, as long as nobody gets set on fire while listening to organ music, it's all good.  :emotion-21::emotion-29::smile:

+++

Handed out the handouts and made the pitch pretty solidly, though I had no real plan and no time to really consider a strategy. The debate was short. Our junior warden, the guy whose job it is to keep the leaks fixed and such, and who'd accepted a temporary patch as we didn't have the money for the new roof at the moment he'd asked for, finally said "I'd rather have the organ than a new roof." I shut up, and was authorized to make the purchase unanimously.

(from post #1)

Dave, did the roof ever get fixed or replaced?  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Dave, did the roof ever get fixed or replaced?

It did.  My last act on vestry was in a meeting held at a parishioners house whilst the Rector was out of town.  We voted to fix the roof and rework the entire wing.  Almost finished. 

Dave

• Like 1