destroyed Windows explorer. I use it to open everything. But it
just had to be changed. Little did we know what was to come as we
complained about Vista.

I just bought a new laptop for my wife
with Win 8. After 20 years of experience I could not figure out how
to turn it off. I added Classic Shell which at least gives it a
start menu, but it is still just horrible. Please, remember that
computers used to be intuitive. If you have half a brain you should
be able to just pick it up and use it. Not anymore.

Now I realize that if MS stopped at XP
(the last good OS) all of us would not have to keep buying new OS's
every few years and keep MS fat and happy.

So, in my desperation I have went to
Linux. Mint. Mint Mint Mint. I am using Mint 13 (14 would not loan because of the Kernal) on a 6 year old
laptop that could barely run Vista. It now boots in 30 seconds and
runs like a champ (it is also FAST). I loaded Mint 14 on my wife's
new laptop yesterday evening. Runs beautifully. My goal is to
switch all computers over, including my business computer. There is
software called “wine” that allows windows programs to be ran on
Linux and word and excel are rated to work without issue.

The Linux drivers also all work with
all of the hardware on the laptops. The setup is no harder that
buying an OEM of Windows and then adding everything. Linux actually
finds driver and makes it all work, just like an OS should do.

Did I mention that the whole OS is so
easy to use and INTUITIVE. You just poke around and can find
anything that you like. Need software, there is a “repository”
with over 60,000 programs that have been tested to work. And they
are all free. Yes, free as is no cost. Just there to grab whatever
you like.

If you are finally at the end of your
rope, this is really worth looking into. Old computers work very
quickly, new computers are just fast. Each version of Mint is
supported for 5 years with updates so I am hoping to make it to 2018
with my current computers.

There is no registry in the OS and each program shares libraries. If there is a library that is not necessary, it is automatically removed from your compuer. This means that your computer will not get slower over time. It is amazing what can happen when the OS provider is not motivated to get you to buy a new computer every 2 years.

Did I mention that anyone should be able to pick up a Linux Mint machine and figure out how to use it? (Intuitive). I picked the Linux Mint "Mate" over "Cinnamon" because Mate is very similar to XP.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, hate that your at the end of your rope with Windows but I'm glad you found Linux. I run Linux sometimes on an XP machines here and it really is a neat operating system. That said I really enjoy W7 the best. I have 4 computers here. One running Win98/Dos, two with XP/Linux, and one with W7. Best of luck with it

Been using Linux for many years on every machine that doesn't have to be standard. Mint, Ubuntu, and others have become awesome when they work, which is most of the time. OTOH, they are anything but "intuitive" under the hood and the communities tire really fast with anyone who asks "What's a sudo?"

OS development effective ended nearly 20 years ago when it came to any attempt to having it be about the user. Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari, even CPM and DOS were pretty quick studies for most folks.

Mac OS is totally dumbed down and bloated stuff for people with extra money, Windows is just bloated and for people with some money, Linux is similar to both but a lot less bloated and at least sells for what it's worth, and... Well, there really isn't anything designed for people.

Once the actually competitive OS systems were stamped out, it was just a question of time before purchasing software became renting, then became even less than renting with "guilty until proven innocent" systems that assume your are a crook.

It's sad. I really miss the days of constant speed improvements and developments spewing from fertile minds.

Dave

I absolutely HATE Windows 8. I have now set up 3 computers with it, and I have never run across a less intuitive opsys in my life. Unfortunately, you cannot buy a new computer that doesn't have it preloaded. That means you are paying for an OEM version of Win 8, which you will lose if you fdisk it away. A guy could dual boot, but that is a PITA.

I love my XP, and am sickened that it will no longer be supported. Win7 isn't too bad. If I could put the Win7 shell on top of the Win8 Opsys, I would probably stop ranting.

I may end up going Linux, but I have so many computers I support, it would be a nightmare to convert them all.

Oh, and to shut down Win 8 you hit the power button. There is also a thing that comes up when you put your mouse in the upper right corner that gives something like an options icon that you can navigate through to finally bring up a shut down selection. It's dumb as hell.

Once the actually competitive OS systems were stamped out, it was just a question of time before purchasing software became renting, then became even less than renting with "guilty until proven innocent" systems that assume your are a crook.

It's sad. I really miss the days of constant speed improvements and developments spewing from fertile minds.

Dave

This sums it up well. It was a PITA figuring out which version to run, downloading, testing the dvd, installing, but the bar has been lowered so much that a 30 second boot and being able to figure out where everything is (like 20 years ago) is now all luxury.

My Win 8 experience just sends chills down my spine when I realize that I have to give up XP next year. If I lose productivity at work I lose money, and Windows causes me to lose productivity because they want you to rent everything as you stated.

I absolutely HATE Windows 8. I have now set up 3 computers with it, and I have never run across a less intuitive opsys in my life. Unfortunately, you cannot buy a new computer that doesn't have it preloaded. That means you are paying for an OEM version of Win 8, which you will lose if you fdisk it away. A guy could dual boot, but that is a PITA.

I love my XP, and am sickened that it will no longer be supported. Win7 isn't too bad. If I could put the Win7 shell on top of the Win8 Opsys, I would probably stop ranting.

I may end up going Linux, but I have so many computers I support, it would be a nightmare to convert them all.

Oh, and to shut down Win 8 you hit the power button. There is also a thing that comes up when you put your mouse in the upper right corner that gives something like an options icon that you can navigate through to finally bring up a shut down selection. It's dumb as hell.

"Classic Shell" makes it a little better by adding a start button, but even with this band aid, Win 8 is still just crap. I hate having to hunt for everything, even the most simple things.

For now I am using an old Compuer that was not usable with Vista because it just lagged down, and it is now the fastest computer in the house with a free OS that is intuitive to use. My choice is to suffer with Windows or make this work. Seems like an easy choice.

Funny, I have been using W8 for about 3 months now and have no problems. My computer even got faster. I am in a software company and I chose the small stick and got to install W8 to see if everything is kosher.

I found it very intuitive to use, need to open a program you do not have to go back to desktop just press windows button on the keyboard, still not there just start typing the name of the program you need.

The windows that hide in the corners do bug out every once in a while but I think it is because I am using 2 monitors..

What I don´t like are the "apps" now many are not ripe enough and I prefer the desktop programs but different strokes and so on.

I LOVE IT! Win 8 is much faster than XP or Win7. Still learning how to get to all the admin things we need here at work, but it's pretty slick.

As a support tech, we HAVE to learn it and know how to make everything work. If you don't start out being pissed off with it, you will find it much easier to learn it. [;)]

Bruce

We began testing Windows 8 at school about 6 months prior its commercial release and we discovered a couple of things:

If you have a tablet or touch screen PC, it's great. It runs very fast and takes up less real estate on the hard drive.

It is difficult to get used to the hidden administration features.

If you don't have a tablet or touch screen PC, it absolutely sucks. (I have neither and will not be going to it)

That said, although I am a fan of Windows XP and Windows 7, I also am a Linux fan. I run XP on my HP workstation at home. But on my laptop, I run Windows 7 as the primary (host) OS and in a virtual box I am able to run both Open SUSE and Fedora 13 Linux flawlessly. Doing so in this manner gives me the best of both worlds. I am also able to run Apple IOS in the virtual box, too, but I chose not to.

One of the best things about Linux: It's FREE!! -Glenn

We began testing Windows 8 at school about 6 months prior its commercial release and we discovered a couple of things: If you have a tablet or touch screen PC, it's great. It runs very fast and takes up less real estate on the hard drive. It is difficult to get used to the hidden administration features. If you don't have a tablet or touch screen PC, it absolutely sucks. (I have neither and will not be going to it) That said, although I am a fan of Windows XP and Windows 7, I also am a Linux fan. I run XP on my HP workstation at home. But on my laptop, I run Windows 7 as the primary (host) OS and in a virtual box I am able to run both Open SUSE and Fedora 13 Linux flawlessly. Doing so in this manner gives me the best of both worlds. I am also able to run Apple IOS in the virtual box, too, but I chose not to. One of the best things about Linux: It's FREE!! -Glenn

I can see where Win 8 might be great with a touchscreen, have not tried it.

Here is what really bothers me. I always have several apps opened at once and need to know the time, when I have emails etc. Win 8 does away with the start menu and the bar on the bottom of the page with all of the info is not active in most applications.

Moreover, we have been using desktops for 20 years with all of these things, why do away with it?

We began testing Windows 8 at school about 6 months prior its commercial release and we discovered a couple of things:

If you have a tablet or touch screen PC, it's great. It runs very fast and takes up less real estate on the hard drive.
It is difficult to get used to the hidden administration features.
If you don't have a tablet or touch screen PC, it absolutely sucks. (I have neither and will not be going to it)

That said, although I am a fan of Windows XP and Windows 7, I also am a Linux fan. I run XP on my HP workstation at home. But on my laptop, I run Windows 7 as the primary (host) OS and in a virtual box I am able to run both Open SUSE and Fedora 13 Linux flawlessly. Doing so in this manner gives me the best of both worlds. I am also able to run Apple IOS in the virtual box, too, but I chose not to.

One of the best things about Linux: It's FREE!! -Glenn

I haven't used SuSE in a long time. I'll have to give it another try..

Have a buddy who returned a Windows 8 laptop because of the OS. Microsoft just sucks. Is there some method to the madness of hiding administrative functions? Can't believe that makes the machine faster.

i do believe the forum members who say they find faster. if it works for you, more power to you.

can see how it could work better on a touch screen tablet.

I really liked Windows 3.1 but they changed it. I reeally liked Windows XP but they changed it.

Well that's about it.

JJK

Yep. Between 3.1 and XP things seemed to get better with each release (for the most part). Stability and drivers improved as well as better interfaces. We are now going in reverse.

I can see where Win 8 might be great with a touchscreen, have not tried it.

Here is what really bothers me. I always have several apps opened at once and need to know the time, when I have emails etc. Win 8 does away with the start menu and the bar on the bottom of the page with all of the info is not active in most applications.

Moreover, we have been using desktops for 20 years with all of these things, why do away with it?

I own neither a touchscreen nor a tablet so, I would not begin to endorse Windows 8 for use on a standard workstation or laptop, even though it does run faster: That's not enough for me. In my opinion, the manner in which Microsoft went to great lengths to eliminate most of the long-term user familiarity from Windows 8 was nothing but sheer lunacy! I'm beginning to wonder what they are smoking up there in Redmond. Especially now that Gates says he'll pay $100,000 to whomever comes up with a better condom. "WHAT???"

I've had lots of luck running Windows 7 and I am not about to switch to Windows 8 any time soon. Microsoft really blew it! But thank Goodness for Oracle Virtual Box and Linux! -Glenn

I had great hopes for IBM OS/2. What a shame they didn't stay in the game. I loved that operating system.

Without a doubt, the opensource development of Linux over the years has been the best thing that has happened in computing that I can think of. Even the current MAC's are running versions of that platform.

I personally think Microsoft is trying to write an operating system which will be on the next smart TV's and Blurays, etc. It sorta reminds me of netflix, Vudu, and the like. It doesn't seem very desktop friendly. Intentional??? I actually think so. It's about smart TV's and tablets nowa days.