What receiver would you buy today?

K5SS

I am looking for a new receiver under $1,500. I used to own two Harmon Kardon AVR's but the new models are pretty light and that worries me. I have owned two Pioneers AVR's, the last being my Elite SC-35. Just looking for some suggestions from you guys. The renew AVR will be driving my RF-63's and probably a RC-64 and RS-62's. I was looking at the Onkyo 818 that just went on sale for $799 but I have never owned a Onlyo receiver before. Just looking for suggestions on what you would but if you were in the market this week. Thanks again!

I have really loved all of my pioneer receivers but their MCACC doesn't EQ subwoofers. The Audyssey XT32 looks great. I am trying to not get caught up in too many specs, the last time I researched for nearly a year before ordering the SC-35. Obsessive Compulsive much? Haha

from my limited exp the Harman Kardon avr 1700 to me seems to be a sleeper. initially i was a bit dubious

because of its weight, but was pleasantly surprised, Especially for $200 , at best buy.

can always try it and return it, if it does not meet your needs.

Can't remember who purchased the hk 3600, he should be able to give better insight seen its further up

the food chain. good hunting

Well since you already have a 5 channel amp, I would look at a pre/pro and not waste money on an AVR. Why pay for internal amps you won't utilize?

With that being said and if you could up your budget a little, I'd look at Onkyo's flagship PR-SC5509 pre/pro. All the bells and whistles you could ever want

I bought mine thru Audiogon from this seller. Brand new and an authorized retailer on Onkyo's website.

just my .02......Good luck!

Well since you already have a 5 channel amp, I would look at a pre/pro and not waste money on an AVR. Why pay for internal amps you won't utilize?

With that being said and if you could up your budget a little, I'd look at Onkyo's flagship PR-SC5509 pre/pro. All the bells and whistles you could ever want

I bought mine thru Audiogon from this seller. Brand new and an authorized retailer on Onkyo's website.

just my .02......Good luck!

Lol so tempting [*-)]

MCACC has 3 filters for the subwoofer. It will adjust for 3 frequnency, Q or bandwidth, and attenuation. It does not do anything under 63 Hz due to the length of the wave lengths. This is very similar to a parametric EQ. The new Audysee has 8 filters for the sub. But, 8 vs 3 is not comparable due to different technology. Good luck with your search. I am with Tasdom, consider a separate preamp in your search. Currently, you have all the power you will ever need.

Put my XPA-5 up for sale just to "test the waters" and it sold for $750 in 15mins(I bought it for $799 a few months ago)!! I have seller's remorse but it was cool to see how happy the new owner is. He was drooling all ofer my Rythmik haha. So now I need a receiver with lots of power and great video. I might order the Onkyo 818 tonight but we will see. Oh, the reason that the XPA-5 went is that I am probably switching over to a RF-63/RC-64 x2 combo for a 6.1 setup. I will probably order two XPA-3's to handle that duty. Now I just need a receiver to power my 63's until I move. I might be a little audio crazy...

I Love the Pioneer Elite SC-55 I use and Im sure the newer models are just as nice. (Im going straight Anthem Pre/ next time a new audio format is available fingers crossed Atmos makes its way into home theater. Ceiling speakers would be fun. ) but the pios are fantastic with klipsch just as your sc 35 was. If you are planning to not run separate power amps the D3 amps work very well just not for pushing 9chs + at reference vol lol.

I was going to suggest hooking up the Oppo 103 directly to the XPA-5. The 103 would handle any inputs you need. But then I saw you had already sold the XPA-5. The Oppo 103 can handle 7.1 so you can get the pair of XPA-3's and hook it directly.