Crossover Roadshow

Deang

Alright, Dean, I am ready to give the test run a shot. I have not done so to date. Why not? Well, in the end, aI think I am going to love it and have to cough up the cash x 6! I have 2 pair of vintage K-horns, 2 pair of Belles, and 2 pair of vintage La Scalas. All have the original crossovers in them. Only one pair of each kind has been recapped with Crites kits. I can solder, but that is all. So, I have never nor would ever try to DIY crossovers. My expertise is in other areas. But, I never intend to ever sell any of my Heritage speakers. Almost all of them, except for one pair of Belles have the original AA crossovers (one pair of Belles has the original AB crossovers.). Again, one set of each model has fresh sonicaps, otherwise they are all bone stock. So, does this make me a good candidate for the crossover roadshow? If so, I hope I will hear no sonic difference . . . If it works though, is there a frequent buyer discount for 6 pair of crossovers? [;)]. Billy

I've got three forum members on payment plans right now, and it's working out pretty good actually. Really, just concentrate on the system you spend most of your time with. Shoot me your shipping address so I can get you on the list.

I'm running a little bit behind -- building two sets of crossovers at the same time. I'm trying to get both sets shipped by the end of the week. One set is a pair of ALKs going out to Dana Moore (D-man) of www.soniphase.com - we always wondered where he went off to -- now we know!

Interesting products.

Yeah after he and AJ? had that big patent argument he pretty much cleared out of here. Two more interesting forum memebers that left.

For what it's worth...

the crossover upgrades that Dean has
done for me have been right up there with the most significant upgrades I have experienced
- period.

Folks should really take advantage of
this “road show” . It's a no obligation way to try something that is truly
magic – at least in my experience.

Josh

Fresh crossovers and re-designed crossovers will make a difference, especially with these older Heritage models.

I guess I am also confused, as is Dean, why more folks are not taking him up on this offer to "preview" the crossover before buying, I think it is an innovative idea and would take away some of the uncertainity a potential buyer might have. In any case, good luck with your offer.

I'm actually caught up Russ -- I busted my rear end this weekend. I'll have your boards painted by tomorrow night and the build starts on Friday. If the weekend is uneventful I might get them done by Sunday night. So, do you want your boards in black or grey?

Hi Jan!

Serial numbers 001 and 002 are in Sweden. An interesting set for sure -- 001 was built by Al and 002 was built by me. You folks have no idea how much work went into the latest incarnation of that network.

I know I will be upgrading my crossovers. I just don't have the speakers that his crossover will fit.

What do you have that you don't think we build for? Please email me, not everything we do is on the website. I really need to set a day aside and do more work on that thing.

I'm actually caught up Russ -- I busted my rear end this weekend. I'll have your boards painted by tomorrow night and the build starts on Friday. If the weekend is uneventful I might get them done by Sunday night. So, do you want your boards in black or grey?

grey

I'd love to see a chorus or klf crossover. i'd be all over that. ive read some pretty great things about the benifits of the ALK networks in the forte and cornwalls. just wish i could get something similer for either of those. Crites rebuilds them, but to me thats more of a cap refresh where as alks would be an upgrade.

I know I will be upgrading my crossovers. I just don't have the speakers that his crossover will fit.

What do you have that you don't think we build for? Please email me, not everything we do is on the website. I really need to set a day aside and do more work on that thing.

I did see on your website that you do crossovers for Chorus II's. I also have an Academy that I want to do first.

I sent you an email.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

A quick up-date on the Crossover Roadshow. As a benchmark I'm comparing the Super AA's in my '90 LaScala AL3's updated with a Sonicap kit. I have struggled over the years with my mids and high blending. With the Super AA's that problem is gone, I have more clarity, definition, tighter bass, yes bass from a LaScala, I ended up turning my sub down to near nothing. My system has an over all fuller and more coherent sounding now. I've ordered Dean's ALK Universals, there's no way I can go back to the AL3's

A couple of my hifi junkies friends heard the Super AA's and kept bugging me to put AL3's back in to HEAR the difference. Well, I HEARD the difference when I put the Super AA's in, and didn't need any convincing by going back.

I finally pulled the Super AA's and sent them off to Cameron on Tuesday and put the AL3's back in the system. So today I finally gave the AL3's a listen, boy do I miss the S AA's, I know they are what Dean calls "entry level" crossovers, but I have to say they are way ahead of my updated AL3's. Nice job Dean!!!

Now looking forward to getting the Universals in and running. As Josh said in an earlier post, you can't spend this kind of money on one up-grade that will move your system beyond the next level.

Tom