What sounds best on your system?

philly0116

I was enjoying a great rendition of "All Along the Watchtower" by the Grateful Dead from their 3 disc set, 'Dozin' at the Knick'. It struck me that the song and the album may be the best live album I have and probably the best sounding live album on my Cornwalls. As far as a studio akbum, Johnny Cashs' American 2 album,, 'Unchained', aounds great to me. Anyway, what CD or LP do ya'll own that you feel sounds best on your system? Maybe some comments will inspire someone to try some new music or songs!! It doesn't matter what the next person thinks! We are all different people and this is about....What sounds best on your system!!

What sounds best on your system!!

Kompendium - Beneath the Waves:

a3970540356_2.jpg

Nightwish - Imaginaerum:

Nightwish_imaginaerum_cover.jpg

Damnation Angels - Bringer of Light:

51cnUkaJ9oL.jpg

Just to name a few of the best ones that I can think of in recent memory. There are many others that I got that I really think sound incredible on my rig. However, that Kompendium album is just absolutely stunning on my rig! I hear that that there is a 5.1 DVD-Audio version that is also available, and from what I understand from others that have heard it, it is just something to be believed. I will have to try to eventually get it myself.

What sounds best on your system!!

Kompendium - Beneath the Waves:

a3970540356_2.jpg

Nightwish - Imaginaerum:

Nightwish_imaginaerum_cover.jpg

Damnation Angels - Bringer of Light:

51cnUkaJ9oL.jpg

Just to name a few of the best ones that I can think of in recent memory. There are many others that I got that I really think sound incredible on my rig. However, that Kompendium album is just absolutely stunning on my rig! I hear that that there is a 5.1 DVD-Audio version that is also available, and from what I understand from others that have heard it, it is just something to be believed. I will have to try to eventually get it myself.

Awesome!! I am gonna try these! Ihave never heard of any of them.

Ill agree with Clapton unplugged, very fine albulm indeed.. Anything by Eddie vedder( into the wild soundtrack is great) amazing voice and talent. The uke really sings on the la scalas. All of his work is good but then again I am a product of the flannel generation. Queensryche's empire album is a nice journey, a lot of synthetic sounds. anything Dave Mathews seems to shine. Johnny cash live at Folsom, the grit of the album is great always hear something new in the background. The piano guys Always seem to bring a smile. Stevie ray Vaughan, the sky is crying. My dad played this album often and now i sit back with a bit of Jameson and can listen to it for hours on repeat and reminisce. There's so much great stuff out there, even metallicas black album has its moments that have me leaning in and listening more carefully. I haven't met a horn or string compilation yet that I don't enjoy. Highland pipes and a pint o Guinness, yes sir! I tend to drink more when I sit down in front of the 2 ch, I should get this music problem looked at.

One of my systems is in a very small room. KLF20's and some vintage Technics speakers, a Pioneer VSX49-TXi in 5.1 Stereo mode (that's about 160wpc).

I put on the 20th Anniversary of Pink Floyd's The Wall cd and cranked it. Just before "We Don't Need No Education" were the helicopter(s). Sounded like they were right outside my window.

THEN I discovered that a local hospital just added another medic-helicopter to their fleet (an EC145) and one of it's helipads was less than a mile from my house. Saw it landing last night so I crept up for a look see.

YUP.....my system was louder. :)

Stevie ray Vaughan, the sky is crying. My dad played this album often and now i sit back with a bit of Jameson and can listen to it for hours on repeat and reminisce.

For my dad it was Willie Nelson's "Stardust". I play it now and then with a bottle of good red wine.

Jazz... definitely jazz sounds best on my system. Specially things like the Mellotron, Rhodes, Saxophone and fretless bass.

I dont know why, I didnt build it to play jazz exclusively, but those instruments really ring and have great presence and dimensionality to them.

One of my systems is in a very small room. KLF20's and some vintage Technics speakers, a Pioneer VSX49-TXi in 5.1 Stereo mode (that's about 160wpc).

I put on the 20th Anniversary of Pink Floyd's The Wall cd and cranked it. Just before "We Don't Need No Education" were the helicopter(s). Sounded like they were right outside my window.

THEN I discovered that a local hospital just added another medic-helicopter to their fleet (an EC145) and one of it's helipads was less than a mile from my house. Saw it landing last night so I crept up for a look see.

YUP.....my system was louder. :)

Excellent. That reminds me of the time I watched a movie which had a thunderstorm. Unknown to me there was also a real one going on outside. They blended seamlessly so that afterwards I only found out by noticing it was wet outside.

Right now this is sounding really good. A mellow Saturday morning spin.

What's good about it?

I have the "Bugs" record. Pretty nice. Maybe I will play it right now.

It sounds great on the Jubs. I really dig Pete Rugolo and don't know why exactly. I picked up one of his records at a flea market years ago and have been a fan ever since. Perhaps I like his percusion and speedy pace on lots of the songs. He seems so HiFi geeky. I like it. It also seems like it is a nice combo of exotica and jazz. The album I don't have yet by him is Music From Out Of Space.

Pete%20Rugolo.jpg

I'll have to see if I can find Rugolo on a stereo Mercury. Probably sounds great.

I have Percussion at work in Stereo and Mono. Both sound excellent I have no preference. If I see a Mercury recording of this genre I have to pick it up. A few of these I don't like the music but some I have found great new artist to me.

Some people are more into their system components than the music itself. I've seen people only put what sounds good on their system rather than find a system that sounds good with all kinds of music. Simple music with fewer overlapping sounds than say a romantic period symphony tends to sound better on their rigs. So that's what they listen to, or at least play in front of others. No one here is like that of course.

That being said, I find that acoustic instruments (even mic'd) sound better than other sounds. I think it is because of distortion. Musicians who play electrical instruments add distortion to the original product. It's the only way certain famous guitar sounds are made for example. So it's distorted from the start, then amplified, then mic'd then recorded. Then the consumer comes along and tries to eliminate any extra distortion as much as possible so that it does not sound "distorted." Ironic because it is distorted in the first place.

Some people are more into their system components than the music itself. I've seen people only put what sounds good on their system rather than find a system that sounds good with all kinds of music

I may be guilty of that if it means I would prefer to play a "good" recording of any kind of music rather than inferior recording for the sake of variety, especially in the presence of company. Even a great system will not make a poor recording sound "pleasing". I think it was Mallette who said it is all about the source. I'll have to agree.

A system that sounds good with all kinds of music.....hmmm. Raises the old question of what we find aurally pleasing versus a faithful reproduction of source material. Most likely not the same animal.