What size screen?

Coytee

That was my problem also. I have 3 Lascalas across the front with an ib sub setup. I have 2 18" drivers on each side of the center Lascala. The Lascalas are also recessed into thye wall. I was limited to the screen height since everything needed to be above the speakers. I went anamorph and that allowed me to go 12' wide and everything still fit above th speakers on an 8' tall wall.

I sit 12' from a 108" screen. Not sure I would want to go any larger. I'm right at the upper limit of the THX recommended which is closer than most recommendations. It also depends on what you use your viewing area for. Blu-rays look fantastic, however 1080i and 720p cable broadcast don't look as sharp on a 108" screen as they do on a 50" plasma when you are sitting so close. So keep in mind the quality of the signal you are going to be sending to the projector and keeping that in mind with your viewing distance. Here's a viewing distance calculator that I use. Cheers

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

I have a 103" in a 14 x 14 room I want to go wider but that would mean the screen would also go taller and right now its from the 8' ceiling to the top of my front speakers... ill go bigger in the next house.

That's what AT screens are for!

Edited by psg
  • Like 1

Was downstairs going over the room dimensions with the wifey. After hearing the kind of furniture she wants, it looks like we'll be sitting about 14' away from a screen .

We might not do a screen but, I've prewired power to the ceiling so if I put a screen in (AT if it matters) I'll have everything ready for it.

So the question is, what would be a good size at 14' viewing distance?

AT does matter they are great, love mine but they all have a min view distance. At 14 feet you should be fine but check before buying. When going to the local theater do you sit in Front? Back? Use this to determine viewing angle that you like. Then do the math. For me 100" screen diagonal at 9' works perfect, round 40 degree angle. Notice how screen diagonal and view distance in inches are close. http://www.thx.com/professional/cinema-certification/thx-certified-cinema-screen-placement/

• Like 1

That was my problem also. I have 3 Lascalas across the front with an ib sub setup. I have 2 18" drivers on each side of the center Lascala. The Lascalas are also recessed into thye wall. I was limited to the screen height since everything needed to be above the speakers. I went anamorph and that allowed me to go 12' wide and everything still fit above th speakers on an 8' tall wall.

Why didn't you go with a AT screen with the LaScalas recessed into the wall?

FYI format ratio matters. I have a constant height screen due to room limitations and WAF. Works good for TV/sports at 80 inches, diagonal for 16:9, then 2.35:1 movies are more immersive at 100 inches. Actually prefer constant height for this reason, movies are bigger than TV. Will this be for TV, Movies or both? If mainly for TV you may want to do the opposite of me and go constant width to maximize 16:9 TV and only loose a small amount when watching a movie..

• Like 1

I have a 103" in a 14 x 14 room I want to go wider but that would mean the screen would also go taller and right now its from the 8' ceiling to the top of my front speakers... ill go bigger in the next house.

That's what AT screen are for!

Would love an AT screen but it would move everything forward over 2 feet and I don't have room for that. My left wide already sits against the couch.

Front row (Giant Bean Bag) is 8ft from 130" 16:9 screen and it is perfect.

Second row theater seating is 12-13ft and is very immersive.

Third row is 16-17' and is great, but could definitely be bigger from that range.

I had a 100" before and it never felt big enough.

From 14' 130-150" range would give you that big screen feel without feeling like you are watching tennis.

My Epson 8350 does great in a completely light controlled room at 130" on a silver spandex screen.

Even with some low ambient light during football parties it looks great.

IMG_9041.jpg

There's something REALLY different about your HT now...........HHmmmmm, wonder what it could be???

Looks awesome, but I kinda miss the other speakers :lol:

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

There's something REALLY different about your HT now...........HHmmmmm, wonder what it could be???

Looks awesome, but I kinda miss the other speakers :lol:

Ron

Last time Ron saw my HT I had a pair of Synergy B2 speakers on stools since I had sold my RF-3ii's and was waiting on the RF-7ii's arrival.

They do make my screen look smaller....but I think I will settle for these babies.

Our 130" (true width, not diagonal) Semour acoustically transparent screen looks great from about 12.5 feet (16' from the Klipschorns on either side). We have a Belle for the center channel, behind the screen; it is crisp and clear. It sounds like the screen fabric itself is not there, but we ran Audyssey with the screen down, just in case. There was no audible difference between screen up and down, so I'd say it's transparent. We run movies in total darkness, except for the ambient light spilling over from the projector and bouncing off the screen. The Panasonic projector is about 22 feet away. The image is sharp and clear, and shows many facial flaws, even when viewing young actors, making them seem more human.

• Like 1

I sit about 12 feet from my screen and it is 115” and looks enormous. You can really feel the impact at that distance with a screen that big. Id go with at least this size or up to 125”. I use a JVC RS45 and the clarity is astounding. Def. go large so you don’t regret it. I would have gone larger but the height would have become an issue as I had an automated curtain system installed that retracts and covers the screen with a valance to hide the automated track. (next home plan to go to 150” AT screen). Either way you are going to be a happy camper. With newer projectors coming out you are going to start seeing more and more 4k or more accurately 2160p capabilities that will make the clarity and brighter lumens more appealing and being close to the screen as well. I almost went with a JVC RS48 with E shift but opted to wait for the 2160p technology to catch up and prices to drop some. What aspect ratio are you going with?

michealand have you tried out 3d yet on your jvc? I love it! It has some crosstalk but its so cool i don't even care lol.

And i agree get the biggest you can.

It may seem big at first but you will love every inch :wub: .

ps. I know you shouldn't laugh at your own jokes but thats funny as hell :lol:

Edited by reference_head