Show us your great photography thread!

JL Sargent

• Moderators
This photo from approx. 1915, shows my grandmother center right in her early teens.

Cool picture, JR in a suit and tie, and no shoes, back then you were doing well if you had a good mule. Amazing how much things have changed 99 years.

• Moderators
Is her pinky finger gone?

It looks like it might be! I haven't done much research on her yet...I haven't even discovered her first name, just that she was married to gggg-grandpa Stephen :) Someday I'll have time to dig into all this stuff...

• Moderators

One more, just for the classic basketball uniforms alone, 1904.

Great-grandpa George, floor, right. Lafayette High School (founded in 1903), Buffalo, NY.

I really do love old pics. Satisfies two of my inner nerds: history and photography. Share yours if you have some!

post-2229-0-07080000-1394559313_thumb.jp

• Like 1

post-7390-0-03040000-1394562429_thumb.pnpost-7390-0-04800000-1394561599_thumb.pnpost-7390-0-52080000-1394561635_thumb.pnpost-7390-0-70320000-1394561677_thumb.pn

What I did this weekend...

One of the people chosen to install my pipe organ project at my parish became personal friends with Bill Thomas, Texas oil man, after installing an 18 rank restored Kilgen pipe organ in his listening room. That room also features a 5 manual Rogers electronic monster. Shawn took us up there Sunday to see and hear the Kilgen. He has Mr. Thomas total trust, so we had the place to ourselves. These are only a few of the pictures I took that give you an idea of how God intended Texans to live. I counted 4 grand pianos in rooms on the ground floor alone. Mr. Thomas was on a trip to bring back rails for his 3 mile 15" gauge model steam railroad he is going to build.

The others are the back aspect of the house as seen from the railroad station, one of his cabooses, and the carriage house...which is anything but "Humble". There are several other outbuildings with cars...notably several fully restored Cadillacs from the 20s. Of course, we barely scratched the surface.

Big boys, big toys...

I hope to get invited there sometime with Shawn to meet him and really get to listen to everything. Shawn isn't an organist, but did play the instruments from a couple of MIDI files. Both the Rogers and the Kilgen can be played via MIDI.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

This isn't the great setting of the farmhouse with mule (so classic), but this could be the oldest photograph we have preserved in my family. Great-great-great-great grandma, dated 1856. I haven't tackled touching it up yet. I kind of like the oldness look of it, anyway.

Very classic photo for the time period. Eveyone was proud of their possesions, and rightly so. I have a picture of family, also taken in front of their house, with all the furniture moved out to be in the pic. I need to get them scanned.

Bruce

• Like 1

Wow, I went to church camp at lake Keuka when I was little. The water was unbelievably cold, even in the middle of summer. I think they said it was spring fed.

I believe you are correct, but not 100% sure...