i need an extremely cheap audio rack

Scrappydue

ok guys cutting out a whole in the wall for audio gear. need a cheap racks or links to ideas how to build something. can't be to complex if i have to build it. bottom needs to hold 125 lbs one more shelf needs to be able to hold 60-70. then regular shovels after that is fine. thanks guys

Flexy Rack is a good idea.

What does the hole in the wall look like? Are the sides made of drywall with studs? If you have something solid to drill into, you can build strong shelves and just use square stock attached to the sides to support the shelves. Very simpe, easy to build, and if you get 1/4" sheets of plywood with nice veneer (cherry, maple, etc.) you can make it look very nice for not much money by lining the inside.

The Cheapest Rack I ever remember seeing was made with cinder blocks and 2x12's. It was the full lenght of one wall in his livingroom. He just put down 2 or 3 cinder blocks, laid a couple 2x12's on them, then more cinder blocks another set of 2x12's until he got to the hight he wanted. He had lots of room for CD's besides his stereo.

Actually looked pretty good and matched his decor. Of course he did not have to meet WAF code

John

ok guys cutting out a whole in the wall for audio gear. need a cheap racks or links to ideas how to build something. can't be to complex if i have to build it. bottom needs to hold 125 lbs one more shelf needs to be able to hold 60-70. then regular shovels after that is fine. thanks guys

Made mine out of 5'x5' sheets of 1/2" birch plywood. That gave me nine shelves. I think I got another 3 from another sheet and used the rest of the second sheet to make the 5' high sides. Stained and varnishes the plywood, assembled with a top and bottom and a fixed middle shelf. The rest are dropped onto pins in the side walls.

Look like this : https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/gallery/image/90-dsc-13472r800/

Edited by psg

Made mine out of 5'x5' sheets of 1/2" birch plywood. That gave me nine shelves. I think I got another 3 from another sheet and used the rest of the second sheet to make the 5' high sides. Stained and varnishes the plywood, assembled with a top and bottom and a fixed middle shelf. The rest are dropped onto pins in the side walls.

Look like this : https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/gallery/image/90-dsc-13472r800/

THi sis very similar to what I was describing above

VERY NICE work.

This is very similar to what I was describing above

VERY NICE work.

Peter, your shelves look beautiful! Very nice the way you trimmed it out.

Thanks guys.

In my case, the back has a hinged panel accessible in an adjoining utility room.

this is gorgeous! i love it.

Will you be able to get behind it to work with the cables? I'm just sayin'

Peter, your shelves look beautiful! Very nice the way you trimmed it out.

Bruce

yes full access underneath stairs

and today while getting ready to start it me and my dad discovered we have a termite issue to deal with….awesomeness

Looks good. I assume your studs are on 24" centers and not 16" (as 16" wouldn't work for a in-wall rack and would require some reframing).

I would recommend building one and using a set of rails similar to what Middle Atlantic (MA) offers. MA is expensive, but their stuff is made in the US and is high quality. Rack rails are the way to go as you can usually find rack ears or custom shelves for your components and they'll look very nice. There's also an endless array of rack mounted accessories (rack mounted drawers, lights, fans, vents, blank panels, etc...) to fill gaps.

This thread had some links to explore: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1382551/av-wall-rack-just-rails-vs-a-middle-atlantic

ok so i decided to build as much as possible.

progress so far...

Edited by etc6849

Looks good. I assume your studs are on 24" centers and not 16" (as 16" wouldn't work for a in-wall rack and would require some reframing).

I would recommend building one and using a set of rails similar to what Middle Atlantic (MA) offers. MA is expensive, but their stuff is made in the US and is high quality. Rack rails are the way to go as you can usually find rack ears or custom shelves for your components and they'll look very nice. There's also an endless array of rack mounted accessories (rack mounted drawers, lights, fans, vents, blank panels, etc...) to fill gaps.

This thread had some links to explore: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1382551/av-wall-rack-just-rails-vs-a-middle-atlantic

ok so i decided to build as much as possible.

progress so far...

no they are 16 studs. We just cut one out and did some re framing. More pics tomorrow.