Off the beaten path music you enjoy

joessportster

I'll start this off with one. I was shopping at a local brick and mortar for vinyl a few years ago (record and tape traders in Towson Md.) The employees take turns picking a disc to play in the store and several times I've stopped shopping to inquire "who is that" and more than once left the store with an album this is one of those

Ali Farka Tour'e with Rye cooder
Talking Timbuktu
Setting here listening thru the Sennhieser's while the wife and kids sleep :D

An artist I keep coming back to is Otis Redding over the years since a teen. Have it in vinyl, but have a copy in the CD player. The horns sound always good with the Klipsch, and Cropper and Dunn of Booker T & the MG's are a good match with the tunes. The Dictionary Of Soul. Use this for reference material among others.

Developed a taste for Chinese classical music, especially their chamber music, while living in Asia. Really a lot of other stuff few dabble in, but a particular favorite of my wife and me is a British LP made of 19th music boxes. Incredibly fine engineering that makes them sound as though the are live and in the room.

Dave

they have yet to invent a genre of music that I have, at one time or another, not owned and enjoyed... including Chinese classical music.

I was finally able to fin some Japanese Gagaku on LP a while back... superb on vinyl and a bit more tasteful than a lot of classical chinese .

$T2eC16NHJGQFFhj0ff3UBSB9(QZ3gg~~60_57.J

Developed a taste for Chinese classical music, especially their chamber music, while living in Asia.

Dave

In that same vein... After living in SW Louisiana for five years in the early 80's I'm a sucker for cajun and zydeco music. Cultural influences run very deep down there and I brought some of theirs back up north with me.

Laissez lez bon temps rouler, cher!

I was finally able to fin some Japanese Gagaku on LP a while back... superb on vinyl and a bit more tasteful than a lot of classical chinese .

Harrumph...Gagaku is only partially Japanese in origin. Of its two catagories, togaku is of Chinese and Indian origin and komagaku is Manchurian, Korean, and Japanese origin. The best gagaku is, IMHO, of yayue tradition based on the Chinese imperial court music for banquets and such originating in the Zhou dynasty. Confucious thought so... :P

OK, where you gonna go to find a spirited discussion of stuff like this???? Gotta love it... Thanks, Schu.

Opinion on Indonesian Gamelan. I favor the Javanese and some of the wayang scores.

Actually always enjoyed wayang...but those go on forever! Indonesian equivalent of a "House of Cards" watching binge.

Dave

In that same vein... After living in SW Louisiana for five years in the early 80's I'm a sucker for cajun and zydeco music. Cultural influences run very deep down there and I brought some of theirs back up north with me.

Laissez lez bon temps rouler, cher!

I was looking around at Rolling Stone Records here in Chicago and they had some music i kinda liked playing as i was shopping around and i asked what it was when i went to pay for my stuff, turns out it was Buckwheat Zydeco Lay your burden down CD playing, i purchased the CD at the counter. Its pretty good, i like many types of music and get sick of listening to the same stuff on the radio all the time.

In that same vein... After living in SW Louisiana for five years in the early 80's I'm a sucker for cajun and zydeco music.

AMEN! The more raw and commercialized the better. Like our thread starter Joe I've run across very little music from any time or any place I don't like or grow to like.

As I mentioned above, the gamelan orchestra may sound very strange, but it's extremely organic and once you've seen a bit of wayang (Indonesian shadow puppets performed in front of a fire with music, sort of a silent movie) accompanied by a classical gamelan score it can be extremely addictive. Awesome wafting across the jungle at night...

I've heard some Cajun and zydeco bands under similar circumstances in their native environments, and it's intoxicating. Trust me on that... :blink:

Dave

Oh yeah, the cajun & zydeco stuff is good time, party music! Promoters bring quite a few acts to the northeast (BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet, CJ Chenier, Zachary Richard, Sonny Landreth, etc...) and there's several festivals that feature cajun music and food every summer. We have enjoyed a few.

Occationally I'll throw on Walter (Wendy) Carlos' "Switched on Bach" but my wife can't stand electronic music.

We used the Brandenburg from that album as our news theme at the Armed Forces TV station I worked at during the Viet war. Tomita had some interesting albums as well back in the day.

Some beautiful things have been done with synth, but the lack of harmonics and perfect tuning seem to leave one a bit unfulfilled or something. Seems like a sort of a vague connection between that and those of use who prefer tubes to the clinical SS amps.

Dave

I had one of Frank Zappa's cassette's Sheik yerbouti that went south long ago and recently picked up a new copy on CD along with Joe's garage.

Definitely off the beaten path, good stuff.

IMHO Frank Zappa is the exact opposite, the very antithesis of 'Off The Beaten Path'.

He may not be everybodies cup of tea but his body of work is immense and spans several genres; rock, symphonic, and jazz. He's universally held by his peers as hugely influential and the critics as a musical genius.

• Moderators

Oh yeah, the cajun & zydeco stuff is good time, party music! Promoters bring quite a few acts to the northeast (BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet, CJ Chenier, Zachary Richard, Sonny Landreth, etc...) and there's several festivals that feature cajun music and food every summer. We have enjoyed a few.

I love zydeco music, I had only one cd and it disappeared, I need to get some.

We need to get out to http://www.rocknbowl.com/ again soon, it's a cheap place ($10 person} to hear live music and they get a good variety of musicians including cajun and zydeco, a fun place. It's a BIG building all open with bowling on one end and a band and dance floor on the other. They allow kids, we have brought the Grandkids a few times since they were little and they have a good time, it's never to young to learn to appreicate live music. Check out the calender http://www.rocknbowl.com/events

Thanks for the zydeco reminder.

Edit: Went to check the schedule, looks like they went up $2 since we were there last

Edited by dtel

Won't you come with me to Alabamy
Let's go see my dear old mammy
She's frying eggs and broilin' hammy
That's what I like about the south

Now there you can make no mistaky
Where those? never shaky
Ought to taste her layer cakey
That's what I like about the south

She's got big ribs and candied yams
Oh, sugar cured Virginia hams
Basements full of those berry jams