What direction is Klipsch going in?

prerich

We are getting ready to launch an complete new line of R.... oh, crap, I'm probably not supposed to say anything yet.

Rest your fears. This is the year of copper. We're not going anywhere. Either is the Heritage line.

Amy...that's some of the best news I've heard today!!!! I understand Klipsch must make money, and they must appeal to the new school crowd. I'm glad to see that Klipsch will continue be innovative, not just wit pocket sized and lifestyle products, but with traditional products as well! Fears abated!!!

@Micheal Ray, I may not have bought a new pair of Klipsch....but I've help sell quite a few pair of brand new Reference series ;)!!!! They're my go-to HT ! I don't work for a dealer, but a lot of people ask my opinion when it comes to HT, so I can say that I have my share of sales :)

We are getting ready to launch an complete new line of R.... oh, crap, I'm probably not supposed to say anything yet.

Rest your fears. This is the year of copper. We're not going anywhere. Either is the Heritage line.

Amy...that's some of the best news I've heard today!!!! I understand Klipsch must make money, and they must appeal to the new school crowd. I'm glad to see that Klipsch will continue be innovative, not just wit pocket sized and lifestyle products, but with traditional products as well! Fears abated!!!

@Micheal Ray, I may not have bought a new pair of Klipsch....but I've help sell quite a few pair of brand new Reference series ;)!!!! They're my go-to HT ! I don't work for a dealer, but a lot of people ask my opinion when it comes to HT, so I can say that I have my share of sales :)

amen to that. i cant even imagine how many klipsch speakers i have personally sold to others getting them started down the right path, and then also informing others on where to go to spend their hard earned money!

i am excited to see what these new R's entail. i hope the 63's and 83's make their return! with rsw-15ii as well. 63's are still one of my favorite klipsch speaker to date.

The answer to this thread is simple: Profitable small products using the latest technologies that sell in high volume for the consumer, and large products that sell in low volume for entertainment venues. If PWK had only made Khorns, he would have been out of business by 1960's. Two things saved the company: Bob Moers as President, and the Heresy. Fred's company multiplied sales by 7X and enabled Klipsch to become one of the largest and most successful speaker companies in the world. Heritage products main function is to market the company's longevity using PWK's past achievements as a genius while providing real and nostalgic appeal in terms of performance, but not sales volume. Heritage for IMAGE, the latest high tech. gee whiz gizmos for real sales.

• Like 1

Heritage products main function is to market the company's longevity using PWK's past achievements as a genius while providing real and nostalgic appeal in terms of performance, but not sales volume. Heritage for IMAGE, the latest high tech. gee whiz gizmos for real sales.

That's what I said. OK, nowhere near that well... :D

Dave

I get it with these new products, gotta make a living somehow. As much as anyone would love to own a brand new pair of La Scalas or Klipschorns, not everyone has the $7,000-$9,000 to drop on a new pair, plus the hardware to run them. Its also nice to see so many new people joining the forum asking how to properly set up this rf-82 system, or that rf-62 setup. Those are legit speakers, not the 5.1 in the box that many of the big brand names sell.

Amy that's awesome, I can't wait to hear what "R" products will be announced. I like many of the others who have expressed such, I would love to see a return of a rsw-15 or maybe a rf-83-63, or maybe a three way reference speaker :D

Yea, you don't want to "leak" information after CES :rolleyes:;)

I heard a pair of what looked like the "r" speakers at CES. It was crowded and noisey in the hall but they sounded punchy and nice.

What's the scoop? We need details!

i am excited to see what these new R's entail. i hope the 63's and 83's make their return! with rsw-15ii as well.

Yeah me too. Maybe some Reference 2.5-ways with a Palladium'ish shaped cabinet. Yes also an RSW-15ii without the poorly designed grill.

63's are still one of my favorite klipsch speaker to date.

Also one of my favorites and I am not saying that just because I own them.

Bill

Hope they have larger horns better drivers and are time aligned two ways. How about Aluminum diaphragms with mylar surrounds.

Is this announcement going to be relatively soon? ;)

• Moderators

Depends on your definition of soon. ;)

What's YOUR definition of soon??????

@Micheal Ray, I may not have bought a new pair of Klipsch

That's Ok, he hasn't either ;)

It wasn't a question of condemnation. I was asking a question I already knew the answer to: lots of people buy Klipsch speakers 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand, and there's a solid 60 years of usable gear with which to choose from. None of that money goes back into Klipsch coffers, they HAVE to sell consumer minded gear if they are going to survive. There's no money in catering solely to picky Heritage lovers.

I will happily buy direct from Klipsch when they start accepting firearms and audio/computer gear + cash as trade currency. :P

I get it with these new products, gotta make a living somehow. As much as anyone would love to own a brand new pair of La Scalas or Klipschorns, not everyone has the $7,000-$9,000 to drop on a new pair, plus the hardware to run them. Its also nice to see so many new people joining the forum asking how to properly set up this rf-82 system, or that rf-62 setup. Those are legit speakers, not the 5.1 in the box that many of the big brand names sell.

Amy that's awesome, I can't wait to hear what "R" products will be announced. I like many of the others who have expressed such, I would love to see a return of a rsw-15 or maybe a rf-83-63, or maybe a three way reference speaker :D

It's all relative to what you value. When I see 3-way speakers with pro drivers selling for $100,000/pair at the "high end" shows, driven by Six $10,000 monoblock amplifiers, it make me wanna gag. As soon as I was established at my first job out of college, I took out a loan to get a pair of Klipschorns and a LaScala center channel to allow a broader sound stage, just like the Klipsch Papers recommended. Per PWK's urgings, I also joined the Audio Engineering Society.

Cost was about $2,200 with tax. Adjusted for inflation, that would be about $9,000 in today's dollars. Now keep in mind that these were the "ghetto Khorns" (dealer's term for them), KCBR, they were the "C" style, plain vanilla, raw Birch, which are not longer available. It would have cost me about 50% more to get Walnut Khorns and Belles, even more for exotic woods, no longer available.

So adding 50% to my inflation adjusted figure, would be about $13,500 or $3,300 when I was just a kid. All my friends thought I was nuts to spend that much on speakers while they bought Camaros. Their cars were in the rust pile after 5 years, while I had my Khorns for over 30 until I upgraded.

So it's not that brand new Khorns and LaScalas, in matching finish, are that expensive, it's PRECISELY the fact that the money your are buying them with these day's isn't worth as much. The price of Khorns has NEVER gone up, it's the money that got cheap!!

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

As engineer, I can gurantee two things that Klipsch and Co. cannot avoid, like all companies: 1) Murphy's Law Corrolary #48: "Everything takes longer than it takes." 2) During the design phase of any project, we must, at some point, shoot the engineers and start production!!

• Like 2

I get it with these new products, gotta make a living somehow. As much as anyone would love to own a brand new pair of La Scalas or Klipschorns, not everyone has the $7,000-$9,000 to drop on a new pair, plus the hardware to run them. :D

BTW, when I sold my second pair of Khorns (long story), I demonstrated them with a Sonic Impact CHIP amp, that cost me $26 plus a Radio shack wall wart, so, about $40 total, with a $39 DVD player that plays CD's (they all do).

A Klipsch Engineer tested that amp for me on their laboratory gear and it was super clean up to about 6 Watts/channel. If Paul had lived long enough to see this piece of plastic that fits in the palm of your hand AND can run on 8 AA batteries, he would have approved. Why? Because he always said that the world needed a good 5 Watt amplifier and this certainly fit the bill.

So the "plus the hardware to run them" is not true. You can drive Khorns to an impressive sound level with anything. You can get used receivers for less than $50 most anywhere. I once demonstrated my Khorns with the headphone output of my Sony Walkman, which put out a whopping 20 Milliwatts. You could not get to ear bleed levels with that, BUT is sounded amazingly good at what most people would consider "normal" volume levels.

Khorns are the easiest speaker in the world to drive.

Edited by ClaudeJ1