New receiver recommendation for Belles

smitt12

I recently purchased a pair of Belles to replace my Heresys up front and I know I need more power. I currently have a Sony - STRDA1800ES piece that was great for the Heresys but I need to upgrade. Any thought/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

You don't need more power to the Belles. You may want to upgrade, but it's not for need of more power. I'd use the Sony for HT and do the Belles justice with an integrated tube amp for 2 or 3 channel. Call Craig Otsby (NOS Valves). He can help you.

SSH

• Like 1

You don't need more power to the Belles. You may want to upgrade, but it's not for need of more power. I'd use the Sony for HT and do the Belles justice with an integrated tube amp for 2 or 3 channel. Call Craig Otsby (NOS Valves). He can help you.

Exactly my thoughts. Why would you ever listen to music with a Klipsch speaker using a receiver unless someone had a gun pointed at you......(insert obligatory smiley face here......)

Ooops,

I just realized you posted this in the HT forum. How about a preamp/amp combo with an HT bypass feature or an integrated amp with HT bypass if you are planning an HT/2-channel combo system.

Bill

Yeah, I missed that too. Oh well, I stand by my position that for music something other than a receiver is your best option.

Shakey

Exactly my thoughts. Why would you ever listen to music with a Klipsch speaker using a receiver unless someone had a gun pointed at you......(insert obligatory smiley face here......)

i listen to my klipsch speakers everyday using a Pioneer receiver. 25 yrs now

Edited by Budman

i listen to my klipsch speakers everyday using a receiver. 25 yrs now

Err, ok, I guess........

• Moderators

If you do chose to stay with a receiver, there are other receivers that IMO sound more musical than Sony (ie Harman Kardon, Marantz). Best thing to do is go and listen to different brands to see what sound your ears prefer. We all can give our advice but it will be biased to what we prefer. I do think the Sony would be the weak link in the chain though.

If you do chose to stay with a receiver, there are other receivers that IMO sound more musical than Sony (ie Harman Kardon, Marantz). Best thing to do is go and listen to different brands to see what sound your ears prefer. We all can give our advice but it will be biased to what we prefer. I do think the Sony would be the weak link in the chain though.

Agreed. I used to have a couple of ES series Sony amps and they seemed to bring out the worst in my K-horns (dull flat sound, dental drill highs). I find the new Pioneer units using class D amps mate very nicely with big horns.

Never heard the NAD surround sound receivers either but are probably great nevertheless.

NAD gear sounds wonderful with Heritage and Reference, IMO. I may be a little biased because I own a NAD pre/pro, HT receiver, and a CD player, but I am totally pleased with the sound quality.

Bill

Never heard the NAD surround sound receivers either but are probably great nevertheless.

NAD gear sounds wonderful with Heritage and Reference, IMO. I may be a little biased because I own a NAD pre/pro, HT receiver, and a CD player, but I am totally pleased with the sound quality.

Bill

Good to hear, i have a NAD preamp & love the sound.

My friend has one of their receivers and some Klipsch reference towers (i forgot what model they are, RF-62's maybe)

and pairs nicely.

No doubt they make good stuff.

A friend of mine is going to build me a 12 channel amp using chip amps... I saw in the 2 channel section where someone actually compared the sound to their tube amp. The chip amps can be had for around $5 for a stereo kit on eBay.