Are Crites cast frame woofers really an upgrade?

bobdog

I am putting together some 74 cornwalls for my garage. I have a pair of new cast woofers. If they are actually an upgrade I will pull the stock K33s out of my Klipchorns and instal the new woofers. If not I won't go to the trouble and will just use them in the corn walls. The Khorns are my priority sound wise, The cornwalls are really only being done because I found some empty cabinets for $20 a few years ago and have now sourced the parts to complete them.. Has any one done any comparisons and what did you think. Is there any increase in power handling (could I safely increase the size of the fuse on the Khorns, ect ect.

It seemed to be a improvement to me when I replaced the K33's in my Lascalas but I also had done other work that might have improved things too. I imagine the condition of the K33 woofers could vary but they hold up very well! I have some over 45 years old and doing fine. I think it would be worth a try even though it is some trouble. Don't expect a drastic change though. Your time, your call... Have fun!

Well you can sell the old ones and almost pay for the Crites.....

I have already paid for the Crites. I just want to know if they are better, worse, or the same, and in what ways, as the K33s. I have much to do and little time, so I would rather not be changing woofers out for the same result. If the Crites ones are better I will do it. My Khorns are 86s if that makes any difference.

It may be worth it anyhow. Sometimes when you remove the drivers you find air leaks and other issues that deteriorate performance. If the old K33's are in good shape, they do have value on the secondary market. I have not used Crites cast woofers, but I have purchased K33 rebuild kits from Bob and reconed K33's. I doubt Crites is going to sell you anything that isn't at least as good as original. In my opinion, you should set aside some time when things get less crazy in your life and replace the drivers as a way to relax.

You might improve things on the Khorns just by tightening screws to the woofers.

With the Crites cast woofers I found slightly tighter and extended bass to my ears. Upper bass seemed a little clear well. Again, while I was swapping them out I also worked on sealing up and bracing the cabinets better so I'm sure had an effect too. From what I have heard from others is that improvement is small unless your old woofers had a problem. I had bought mine because I was going to be building new cabinets. Eventually, I still plan on building some cabinets and I will put the old K33's back. When that time comes I can let folks know how they differ.

Well when I was veneering my 1972 Ks and checking back woofer chamber for air tightness ...and found leaks probably from cracked glue.....I decided just to go ahead with Crites cause I new they were a tad better built and the real old ones in mine could be for someone who was trying to return to original year stuff to their speakers. So it all worked out. I forget who bought them though on here. Rick

IMHO the original Crites stamped woofer has a smoother sound than his highly touted heavy duty cast frame woofer. I am using them both and A/B tests have shown this in my room and in my systems.

If someone wants to trade me 4 original Crites stamped woofers I'll trade you my 4 cast ones.

I guess I should have qualified my question... is it really ALL THAT distinguishable?

Smoother... what exactly does that mean during critical listening? Smoother, less harsh or more rolled off... or smoother not as crisp?

just trying to get a real handle over here on why there are not only two versions, but why some one would choose one over the other if they are similarly priced.

also, are there other drop in versions that might be MORE EXPENSIVE, but yield a greater difference?

I don't think unless there is something wrong with your old k33's you wouldn't notice a whole lot of difference but I could be wrong. On the plus side of things like some are saying, you would repair, replace all gaskets, and re insure your self of having good new components to were you would have to worry for some time. I say yes switch them out and put your older ones in the Cornwalls.

There is a noticable thump or cabinet boom that I didn't get with the stamped. I can probably move a couple of sliders on my EQ and get it out, but I haven't concentrated on solving yet. I believe the cast have more energy or are more senstive in some way. I could be wrong but I hear a difference.

What I found with the stamped is that I could replace a K33 and not tell any difference. I have been very satisified with the stamped.

Somehow the cast all of a sudden became the new standard for the last few years. I didn't have any until a few months ago. Now that I have them, I simply prefer the stamped.

I've had the stamped. Not the cast. I've heard the stamped at Mark's house too. His MWM's sound tight....no boom.

I had them ported in the past. Porting below ~38 Hz....I didn't like. Above that....no complaints.