how to care for oiled walnut fortes?

i have a set of OW fortes (oiled walnut) bought from the original owner & they have never been oiled or sprayed with anything, just wiped off from time to time.

what is the best way to care for these types of finishes? i have read about linseed oil but want to be sure of the best product or procedure. they look like new with no signs of drying or fading.

thanks

thanks for the quick replies. they definantly dont need to be sanded or refinished, the stain is just about perfect. just want to maintain them the best i can as i plan to keep them for a very long time. they are my first set of the heritage line & im blown away by the sound they produce on just a basic 90wpc onkyo receiver.

where do i get lemon oil? just a standard brand sold at walmart? or is it something special? my other klipsch are the clear coated type, oak kg 5.5 or cf-4 in black satin. just wipe em off with a damp cloth & they are good to go!

thanks guys, will look into the BLO & lemon oil. but didnt i read somewhere that murphys oil soap is one of the worst things for this type of wood? thought i read someone said its ok for laquered or varnished types of wood but on anything else it will soak into its not suggested.

Edited by klipschfancf4

I have ranted about how bad the stuff is.

You wouldn't lather up a bar of Ivory and use it on any wood product. One because it is soap and two because it is water. Both are bad for wood. The caustic part of MOS is a bit different than Ivory but still very caustic and while Ivory uses fat, MOS uses an oil.

I you read the label and MOS website, it is only to be used on something like an oak floor with a very thick coat of varnish -- and probably a lot of dirt. That way it can't get to the oak floor. Your speaker don't have that good a seal at all.

MOS? No, no, no, a thousand times, no.

WMcD

• 2 weeks later...

I have ranted about how bad the stuff is.

You wouldn't lather up a bar of Ivory and use it on any wood product. One because it is soap and two because it is water. Both are bad for wood. The caustic part of MOS is a bit different than Ivory but still very caustic and while Ivory uses fat, MOS uses an oil.

I you read the label and MOS website, it is only to be used on something like an oak floor with a very thick coat of varnish -- and probably a lot of dirt. That way it can't get to the oak floor. Your speaker don't have that good a seal at all.

MOS? No, no, no, a thousand times, no.

WMcD

So what do we need to use to clean them on a regular basis?

Thanks.

• 8 months later...