Cornwall 1 vs Khorn

Heritage_Head

This would be in a small room with one good corner and the other not so good. The Khorns I'm looking at are late 80s that are in mint condition. I'm wondering how they compare to my 81 corns with bobs 125 tweeters and replacement xo. I love the corns and don't feel like I'm missing anything. The corns have single handily brought me back into to music again. I sit and listen for hours and i love it :). But I'm always wondering what else. Do the Khorns destroy the corns even in a small room? or is it really close and and wouldn't be that big being a small room and only one good corner? Also this would be used with no sub if that matters.

Thanks

Edited by reference_head

Guest David H

A bad corner compounded with a small room is certainly not the best environment for K's.

I suspect the Cornwalls will be more forgiving in that environment.

Dave

I own corns and haven't heard khorns. That said, the corn has to be one of the most versatile heritage speaker. From what I've heard, no sub needed, no solid corners needed, and even in larger rooms with tall ceilings, the corns will make your music sound really good. Don't get me wrong, in my next house I would look for corners for khorns but I won't mind my corns in any room.

I own corns and haven't heard khorns. That said, the corn has to be one of the most versatile heritage speaker. From what I've heard, no sub needed, no solid corners needed, and even in larger rooms with tall ceilings, the corns will make your music sound really good. Don't get me wrong, in my next house I would look for corners for khorns but I won't mind my corns in any room.

Yes the bass from the corns is almost supernatural and would hate to lose any bass if i went to khorns.

• Like 1

i'm running khorns in a small room. as i've said before, there are no synergies involved in running smaller speakers in small rooms.

yes, khorns will be better than corns in big rooms, and they will be better than corns in small rooms.

i love corns, i've heard them in small rooms ( not impressed) and in medium rooms, very nice. i have not heard corns in a large room.

i have heard khorns in small, medium and large rooms. they love big spaces but they kill other speakers in medium and small rooms.

your mileage may vary...

I wish I had two corners in a good spot. The only room the does is in the ht.

Khorns would be very happy in your HT! They love ours. Consider putting them in there!

As to Corn v.s. Khorns ... two very different kinds of bass. The Khorns have very "open" and effortless bass, wonderful transient response, and, according to PWK, less than 1/3 of the frequency modulation distortion (not as much of a difference in distortion as it might seem, based on hearing them together years ago ... a few just-noticeable-differences ... the main difference is the "open" and "big" sound of the Khorn bass). Now, ironically, the Corns may seem to have more intense bass, especially with some kinds of music, like some rock ... but not with others, such as pipe organ, for instance.

You would need an artificial corner for the Khorn without one.

I used to have Khorns in a small room. They were good in there ... not overwhelming, nor too big .... there was only one good seat.

They are great now in our multipurpose HT and music room (>4,000 cu ft.)

Edited by Garyrc

I would definitely invest some time and search the threads on "false corner" and "enclosed back". If you have "1/2 a corner", there was a project I documented that might be helpful. There are many others also.

In answer to your question, yes, the Klipschorns would be a step up.

my first question is, how much are you gonna have to pay for the k-horns and how far are you gonna have to travel to get them.

i have the exact same room and can't imagine having my k-horns in there. Cornwalls in that room size is A+++++++

my biggest tip is: once you have k-horns, never sell them

Edited by Budman

I've got both and they are a different sound. Have you heard Khorns? The Cornwalls are very good speakers. If the price is right you can always buy and resell if you don't like. I'll say what another has said before, the Cornwalls are more forgiving and easier to sound great in a room that is not optimum for Klipshorns. Some days I like my Corwalls sound better than the Klipschorns, other days the big boys win.

I've got both and they are a different sound.

going off topic but i've got both and i never once thought they are a different sound. i guess i could lug my corns downstairs and do a blind listening test

Edited by Budman

I would definitely invest some time and search the threads on "false corner" and "enclosed back". If you have "1/2 a corner", there was a project I documented that might be helpful. There are many others also.

When I was just a kid out of college, I ordered all the Klipsch Papers, including the "Dope from Hope" dealer newsletters. Paul Klipsch had plans for two things that he built for himself, and I did the same. One was a resistor box to get a mono center channel from any stereo line source, and the other were False Corners for Khorns.

About 9 years later, I spent a day with PWK. We met at the factory in Hope, then he took me back to his house. He had TWO false corners in his large living room for his Khorns. Everything PWK ever wrote about, he actually did. He was fully aware of the issues his customers had concerning natural corners and came up with a solution that he used for himself.

Basically you buys studs and make 4x4 foot corners that you cover with drywall. The corner horn mouth extension doesn't do much beyond 4 ft, so that is big enough. In my case I made one out studs and drywall, with a 3ft x 4 ft stabilizer tail ("L" shaped as viewed from the top). It's a cheap and easy solution to having horn bass which is FAR superior to a Cornwall bass, even though it's the same woofer.

• Like 1

my first question is, how much are you gonna have to pay for the k-horns and how far are you gonna have to travel to get them.

i have the exact same room and can't imagine having my k-horns in there. Cornwalls in that room size is A+++++++

my biggest tip is: once you have k-horns, never sell them

Hes not far and said would bring them to me

4360cad4-cec6-484d-ba1c-0db0dfc4826c.jpg

8fb55ca3-c5a0-44b2-8ba9-e894f029ada7.jpg

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/ele/4310909882.html

When I was just a kid out of college, I ordered all the Klipsch Papers, including the "Dope from Hope" dealer newsletters. Paul Klipsch had plans for two things that he built for himself, and I did the same. One was a resistor box to get a mono center channel from any stereo line source, and the other were False Corners for Khorns.

About 9 years later, I spent a day with PWK. We met at the factory in Hope, then he took me back to his house. He had TWO false corners in his large living room for his Khorns. Everything PWK ever wrote about, he actually did. He was fully aware of the issues his customers had concerning natural corners and came up with a solution that he used for himself.

Basically you buys studs and make 4x4 foot corners that you cover with drywall. The corner horn mouth extension doesn't do much beyond 4 ft, so that is big enough. In my case I made one out studs and drywall, with a 3ft x 4 ft stabilizer tail ("L" shaped as viewed from the top). It's a cheap and easy solution to having horn bass which is FAR superior to a Cornwall bass, even though it's the same woofer.

Do you a a link to some pics of this build?