Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Happy Monday gang.

JL ... good picture. Brings back a lot of personal memories not only of childhood but my grown daughter's childhood. Leaf piles are irresistable.

Joe.. good looking meatloaf. One of our favs. Better half unit has appointed me designated meat loaf guy. Have you ever tried a blend of ground beef and Italian sausage? Usually do 2 lbs beef and 1 lb Italian along with some good spices. Bacon strips on the top are good too.(Just need to flip oven on broil the last few minutes to crisp).

Gonna be a nice day here .... for a while. Weather Witch sez we're gonna get blasted with some snow early evening and overnight.

Check back later.

• Like 6

Good Monday evening gang

Just back in from the farm, Dam, forgot what traffice was like.

Arriving at the farm this morning, they had breakfast waiting, also one guy bought a Drone.

Two hours it took me to put this thing together, i think he paid around $600, keep in mind folks,

when it comes to Drones, the more you spend the better. Did not fly it due to batt needing charged.

Another farmer bought a cheaper one, assy in 20Min, charged in 20Min, he took off and it went out of sight.

up to the time of my leaving (Barn/Shop Air work all day) they still have not found the Drone :o

Back out to finish Air in the morning and some drinkin/shooting.

post-57941-0-51240000-1447725492_thumb.p

• Like 7

Evening gang

A few of the Bay goodies are arriving daily, i never know what project i can do just a little more on.

New Recording module came in for Mr Gopher, the $3.00 one was a POS, this new one was $9.00,

The difference between sound quality modules is from radioshack to Macintosh.

$9 bucks is cheap too, catching up to micro electronics is one thing, keeping up is another.

I tapered off board level electronics 20+ years ago, just when i saw where they were going, SMT.

SMT or surface mount technolgy is the wave of the future, also referd to as "Throw away".

Resistors/Capacitor/Coils/Pots used to have leads sticking out of them and they were soldered to the board,

These days they are the size of a match head and getting smaller every year.

Open up anything you have bought in the last 10 years, if there is a circuit, SMT rules that device.

Note: if you take you'r TV into the shop for repair, they will likely say $400 to $800+ for the fix.

What they do is replace the entire module, be it power supply, audio or whatever, everything is moduled.

By Design, it's cheaper to buy a new one. throw out the old.

Techs these days do not do much "Board Level" work, there is to much fast money to be made.

Next time one of you'r electronic devices takes a chit, open that bad boy up, see where the world is going.

post-57941-0-21160000-1447745726_thumb.j

post-57941-0-56680000-1447745777_thumb.j

• Like 8

The Bengals lost in an upset so LF is out of her pool :(

Nice bike ride yesterday....still warm enough for awhile longer.  70s today and even warmer tomorrow.

Second cup done :emotion-44: Now to walk Jake.

Need to order some record cleaning gear for LF turntable.

Not much kicking here :wacko2:

Cheers Ladies :emotion-44: and Gents

• Like 6

Morning gang....

1st cup done...getting ready to take the grandkids out to the bus stop.

I'll be taking the F250 to the dump this morning. Did the 1st batch of leaves this weekend. Didn't even make a dent in the yard of leaves.

Got the old vintage Honda at the shop today for some work.... 91 CRX....my customer loves his old Honda.... he's dropping almost 700 bones in it....hey it pays the bills..

Gotta run...check-in-later....

MKP :-)

• Like 6

Evening gang

A few of the Bay goodies are arriving daily, i never know what project i can do just a little more on.

New Recording module came in for Mr Gopher, the $3.00 one was a POS, this new one was $9.00,

$9 bucks is cheap too, catching up to micro electronics is one thing, keeping up is another.

I tapered off board level electronics 20+ years ago, just when i saw where they were going, SMT.

SMT or surface mount technolgy is the wave of the future, also referd to as "Throw away".

Resistors/Capacitor/Coils/Pots used to have leads sticking out of them and they were soldered to the board,

Open up anything you have bought in the last 10 years, if there is a circuit, SMT rules that device.

Note: if you take you'r TV into the shop for repair, they will likely say $400 to $800+ for the fix.

What they do is replace the entire module, be it power supply, audio or whatever, everything is moduled.

Techs these days do not do much "Board Level" work, there is to much fast money to be made.

Next time one of you'r electronic devices takes a chit, open that bad boy up, see where the world is going.

You are correct. Time is money and very few shops are going  to troubleshoot to component level. I spent over 20 year in electronics from audio to satellite tracking. I have worked on through hole parts and surface mount. With surface mount good magnification is a must and while you can use a solder iron, hot air is the way to go. Here is a picture of my work bench at home. My trusty Leica microscope serves me well, especially as I get older and my eyes aren't what they used to be. It's all about the tools, if you want the job to be easier.

workbench2015.jpg

• Like 11

Evening gang

You are correct. Time is money and very few shops are going  to troubleshoot to component level. I spent over 20 year in electronics from audio to satellite tracking. I have worked on through hole parts and surface mount. With surface mount good magnification is a must and while you can use a solder iron, hot air is the way to go. Here is a picture of my work bench at home. My trusty Leica microscope serves me well, especially as I get older and my eyes aren't what they used to be. It's all about the tools, if you want the job to be easier.

workbench2015.jpg

An organized work place is a sign of a sick mind.

• Like 10

Snowy morning in Denver metro and not too bad. Pretty serious stuff to the east and south of us though, with some stretches of I-70 and I-25 closed. The Weather Witches are ecstatic, of course. None of this is shocking in Colorado (we have permanently intstalled barrier gates on all interstates which can be closed whenever needed). The local media likes to forget this.

Think Baxter and I will kick back today for a while. Should be fine later in the day.

Cheers to all.

• Like 7

Evening gang

workbench2015.jpg

Great work space, i see we share the same Cap collection(s) and my little red drawers are just as dated.

My work space is double desks and one of them always has a project on it.

All my componet storage is behind me at eye level, pulling open one of my little plastic drawers last year, snagged on something stressing the dated plastic and exploded, so from now on "Eye Level" eats up space but worth it.

I also have full complement of hotair solder/desolder but just don't use it.

I play with "Modules", quailty, cheap and most are SMT/through hole.

I will post a link of one of my Fav kinky suppliers, and this only one.

http://www.lctech-inc.com/Hardware/

• Like 5

• Moderators

Be safe Carl, and most of all have fun. 

Were back, good or bad depending on who you ask?  :(  :lol:

It was another fun week and with a little work getting done. Put some wood on a couple walls and a beam. When we go back i will add some color to them, not sure yet brought home some pieces to test out different things.

post-9700-0-98680000-1447784456_thumb.jp

• Like 8