Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Read this and thought it was funny.

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment.

The woman apologized to the young girl and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."

The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

The older lady said that she was right -- our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day. The older lady went on to explain:

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable besides household garbage bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags. But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then.

We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.

Back then we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220volts. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "greenthing" back in our day.

Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief(remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in arazor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's $45,000 SUV or van, which cost what a whole house did before the"green thing." We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart *** young person.

We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to really piss us off... especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smart-*** who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.

My favorite is those kiddies expanding their ear lobes, likely we will be paying of their surgery in the coming years.

• Like 3

There's a place setting at the table for you Tarheel for B&G.  Better hurry!

My plan is to work my azz off today so maybe I fall asleep while the 49ers pummel the Bears tonight.  Usually hopeful, but being realistic.   Maybe the Bears will be in it, kind of like Texas was last night, but blew way too many opportunities and little defense.

Guess the Bears were in it. The Niners had enough penalty yards to travel back to Candlestick! Yikes! I think the Niners are still the better team - picks and penalties in those quantities are tough to overcome.

Yes, I think I will set my expectations low going forward.  Was up till midnight watching post-game.  That field looked like it was TP'd in yellow.

Looks like it's Maxwell House Monday.  :emotion-45:  :emotion-45:   Lower back is not happy.

001_zps7229a866.jpg

010_zpsd95a541e.jpg

but still have this to deal with...

008_zps5f13cb96.jpg

005_zps5d946800.jpg

:(  :huh: 

• Like 4

Good day to you Klipsch forum!

Speaking of firewood, looking good from here, and better to have more than you need when it comes to survival. Friend who I helped somw with our deck has after some planning finally has relocated himself with his art skills and other to Minnesota of all places.

I joke about the weather here being too hot, and it is to me. But going to an extreme to me, cold clime on purpose is a big move for him. Had thought we had covered everything about his truck but, not used to thinking about a different thermostat and plenty of anti-freeze, etc.

Indeed a Floridian such as he will be having to quickstart about his environment for, shall I say it? Survival! Fortunately he is among friends there, who are advising. Oh, and clothes is important like, proper over and underclothing. Shoes, boots, body lotions!

So yes, guess I will try and be content here with my cup of something. :emotion-44:

• Like 3

Morning gang

Tuesday eh?

Looks like we still have a few fires going around these parts, youngins have them handled, second call this year,

a standby call for the lassen fire up north. i dont count Red Cross duties here local, seems that has been monthly lately.

Word has it from some in command we are in for an interesting winter, wonder what they mean by that? 

• Like 4

Interesting!

Was thinking Cali- could use, not the winds,tides but some moisture of of the Hurricane. Haven't been following in the last day but, too much rain, not so good either. A nice slow steady like Idaho type of downfall is called for. :excl:

When we get warm storms from the south, (Every Year) it's the lightning that comes with it that causes the problems.

Im guessing we will have a couple fires out of this weather that's coming for the next three days.

Commie Calif has all but eliminated logging in the state for the last 20+ years, now it burns every dam year.

• Like 3

• Moderators
Friend who I helped somw with our deck has after some planning finally has relocated himself with his art skills and other to Minnesota of all places. I joke about the weather here being too hot, and it is to me. But going to an extreme to me, cold clime on purpose is a big move for him.

He is in for a shock, I would think he doesn't even know what cold really is but is about to find out. I am the same way, I love cold, but I love cold in the South, NOT the same as Minnesota cold. Someone from Minnesota would not even bother with a jacket in our winter. :o  

• Like 1

• Moderators

Interesting!

Was thinking Cali- could use, not the winds,tides but some moisture of of the Hurricane. Haven't been following in the last day but, too much rain, not so good either. A nice slow steady like Idaho type of downfall is called for. :excl:

When we get warm storms from the south, (Every Year) it's the lightning that comes with it that causes the problems.

Im guessing we will have a couple fires out of this weather that's coming for the next three days.

Commie Calif has all but eliminated logging in the state for the last 20+ years, now it burns every dam year.

I know you fly, sometimes even without leaving the cave :lol: But do you fly for things like fires or just for fun now ?

The bad part about California is they have problems when they get rain also, we can get 2"-3" in a couple hours anytime when that happens in California some areas move around, some slide downhill, it's crazy. We average over 5' of rain a year.

• Like 1

It's nice to look at stacked, but getting it there is a lot of work.

Reminds me we need a couple cords before it starts to get cold, it's all the heat we have in the house.

I'm in need of fire wood also. I do everything that I can to keep from turning on the heaters.  The cost of propane is terrible.

Edited by Boxx