Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
Bats in the house last month. Deer & turkeys this morning, an eagle flying over circling while out with the dogs 1/2 hour ago, chipmunk in the window well yesterday, and now this was knocking on my walkout door 5 minutes ago. What next?

Next you should look up and say Thank You, I'm not in a city.

• Like 2

Next you should look up and say Thank You, I'm not in a city.

i’ve definitely been a big city guy most of my life and don’t hate it; but, you know if i see one more used condom tossed onto the sidewalk, i may give the country life a try.  I hope you country folk are a bit more civilized.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

81AJEbxRQcL._SX522_.jpg
  •  
  •  
  • Sorry, this item is not available in
  • Image not available
  •  

Coffee Bean Direct Poor Man's Blend, Whole Bean Coffee, 5-Pound Bag

Coffee Bean Direct Poor Man's Blend, Whole Bean Coffee, 5-Pound Bag

my new favorite coffee....bout $38 for a 5lb sack!

Edited by angusruler
  • Like 2

• Moderators
BigStewMan, on 16 Sept 2014 - 9:21 PM, said:

dtel, on 16 Sept 2014 - 3:17 PM, said: Next you should look up and say Thank You, I'm not in a city.

i’ve definitely been a big city guy most of my life and don’t hate it; but, you know if i see one more used condom tossed onto the sidewalk, i may give the country life a try.  I hope you country folk are a bit more civilized.

I have lived in both, plus suburbs, the more space the better. Space = privacy and less rules and restrictions, after I moved out of the suburb's and lived with more space I found I could never go back. 

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

BigStewMan, on 16 Sept 2014 - 9:21 PM, said:

dtel, on 16 Sept 2014 - 3:17 PM, said: Next you should look up and say Thank You, I'm not in a city.

I have lived in both, plus suburbs, the more space the better. Space = privacy and less rules and restrictions, after I moved out of the suburb's and lived with more space I found I could never go back. 

very true.  the house that i lost in my divorce was built like a fortress.  Lath and plaster, plus we had double paned windows so i could crank up the tunes without disturbing anyone--but, it was still in a neighborhood.  Being able to crank the music is really the only thing i miss…well also being able to do whatever i wanted to the place … but, i don’t miss the drive (nearly an hour closer to work) and i really don’t miss the $3100 per month house payment.

• Moderators

3100, I couldn't sleep at night.

Our house was built by us after we decided to scale back everything and get out of high notes. Being out in the country and about 15 years ago there were NO restrictions, I built our house with a $5 building permit and not one inspection.

I did electrical for a good while and knew how to build a house, not a dollar was spent to hire someone to do anything.

It's not fancy but very strong, it made it through 140mph sustained winds for almost a whole day with no damage. We had planned to build a log house in the back part of the property so we thought this one would be empty so I didn't want extra maintenance so the outside is colored metal like they use on roofs. 

• Like 4

pretty cool that you have the skills to do that.  i’m not as well blessed in that regards; but, i did learn a few things as we gutted the house after buying it (real dumb idea as we were four months without a kitchen and doing all the work ourselves with the help of friends & family, i had to feed the workforce by picking up the tab at local eateries…four months and $19,000 later … we had a kitchen). But, cut out portion of the wall between living room and kitchen, yanked out the carpet and sanded and finished the hardwood floors, built a fence, tile floor in the kitchen, hung cabinets, sprinklers and sod … all of that were major accomplishments for someone like me. I did hire an electrician to do some upgrade and someone to install the counter tops in the kitchen.  $3100 is a bit steep; but, places are expensive in SoCal.   But, i’m still paying $1740 now for a two-bedroom apartment…so i’d rather have the big house payment and the freedom that comes with being a homeowner.

Edited by BigStewMan

• Moderators

That is a lot of work done, you should feel good about it. Your right prices in Southern California are crazy, probably most of the state. Much less here, including the cost of living, but it is surely does not look like California either.

It's around 10 -15K per acre here now but prices have gone up a lot in the last 15 years, we bought this property with nothing on it except some trees, 5.75 acres for 12.5k 15 years ago. :o

This will make you sick, we built the house for 30k back then and it appraised for 175k a few year ago. 4 Br 2 bath just under 2500 sf not counting porches. That price was for materials, we did all the labor, everything from clearing the property to where it is now. Still have a few things to do, but it's just for looks like proper outside trim around windows. I got lazy, and older.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

that’s cool that you did it all yourself and you saved a fortune; it was probably fun too.  I didn’t mind it some of the time; but, there were times that i’d be working at night on the house, after working all day long at my job and i’d get frustrated.

This is a funny world … i was looking at a Bentley last night that started at $186K.  I was telling some friends that i’d be the first person to be in the Del Taco drive through in a Bentley…then there i was in the drive through line at Del Taco and two cars in front of me …. a black Bentley Continental. 

Edited by BigStewMan

• Moderators

:o  That's funny, sometimes you just need some Del Taco ! Who am I kidding telling you that, I wasn't thinking.

The are good looking cars, and much quicker than you would think. For that kind of money I would probably go in a different direction, not that I will have that problem deciding.

I think they flush them into their septic tanks.

Kinda hard on Drain Fields.  Dad sure was pissed when he found out why we had to dig a new drainfield for the rental,  I should say my brother and I dug the ditch.  Hard pack and big rocks

• Like 1

Friend who I helped somw with our deck has after some planning finally has relocated himself with his art skills and other to Minnesota of all places. I joke about the weather here being too hot, and it is to me. But going to an extreme to me, cold clime on purpose is a big move for him.

He is in for a shock, I would think he doesn't even know what cold really is but is about to find out. I am the same way, I love cold, but I love cold in the South, NOT the same as Minnesota cold. Someone from Minnesota would not even bother with a jacket in our winter. :o  

Yes dtel, afraid he will have to have a quick acclimation to real weather by going there this time of year. It just worked out that way. He was off to do something about his thermostat and more antifreeze yesterday. I also asked if he had a place to park where his radiator would be out of the wind so, trying to behoove him to take note of the situation.

For all my bluster about the heat here, I am thinking that the older I get(youngman) that the cold is more unbearable to have to take. And Florida at it's worst has little in comparison with a place like that. Well, we do what we can from here and hope for the best. Friend Doc(David)had to close the vents on the car A/C when riding with me in the summer here.

He is in good hands though up and out there. He is a spiritual person living now with same people in his vicinity so.

It did sound a bit scary when he mentioned friend had a heater he could borrow. Hope it is a real heater and not just a meter-spinner low BTU type.

Thanks!

Edited by billybob

• Moderators
For all my bluster about the heat here, I am thinking that the older I get(youngman) that the cold is more unbearable to have to take. And Florida at it's worst has little in comparison with a place like that.

I feel the same way, when I was younger the cold didn't bother me as much, now I tend to wear more clothes when it's cold. The big difference is he will see cold that can get dangerous quickly. One good thing is he we be around people who knows how to deal with it which is a big help. Someone like me with no experience in temps like that without anyone to give me advice could have serious problems.

He will be fine, I think it will be so different it will be fun for a short time, but to me the problem is how long the cold last. Were somewhat like Florida, a few of months of mild cold off and on and it's spring again, not in Minnesota they can get snow and were still sweating. 

• Like 1

Thanks dtel! Yes, have to remind myself that he is with cold weather people. Only so much we can do from here but at least we are in e-mail/cell contact. He is maybe a couple of years older so. We just have alot of old history coming up as teens. He thought about it and still wanted to go so, he is there.

I agree with you about our weather. Used to be much colder here longer when I was coming up here in North Florida.

Dtel, he will need one of these... :)

4889_1120530941.jpg

4889_1120531026.jpg

4889_1120530845.jpg

4889_1120531106.jpg

4889_1120530757.jpg

454 cubic inch big block Chevrolet V8 produces 412 horsepower

Just in case your havin' any trouble removing snow from your driveway... this baby will blow snow back to where it came from.

If you're tired of anemic, one-lung snow blowers with their slipping drive belts, you might consider Kai Grundt's V8 snow blower which raises the bar on the traditional snow blower in every respect. With electric start, electric block heater, antifreeze heater and eight cylinders, it has no drive belts to freeze up and you'll never get bored with the job as the 454 cubic inch big block Chevrolet V8 produces 412 horsepower, 430 foot pounds of torque and can throw snow 50 feet at just 3500 rpm.

Nor will you get  cold as the machine has been ingeniously designed to route the engine coolant through the handle bars, with the rear mounted, enclosed radiator keeping the operator nice and cozy.

Maneuvering the massive beast (it has a total wet weight of 912 lbs) is a breeze thanks to the hydraulic-drive 4WD skid steer on independent walking beams which offers a zero turning radius. It's also as fast as you like, with an infinitely adjustable speed range on the drive wheels via dash mounted flow control. At the opposite end of the scale, it has more than enough torque to pull your car out of the ditch before the hydraulic motors stall!

Adding to the well-balanced feel of the unit, just 15 pounds of down force on the handlebars will lift the auger blade off the ground in order to climb stairs/walkways for ease of snow removal. Safety has and continues to be paramount with spring return to center "fail safe" type directional controls with emergency stop and tether cords.

Safety is one of the key themes, with a flashing blue light (as required by law in many areas) being the least of the safety features. No-one will fail to hear you with those twin throaty exhausts, which come standard with 92 decibels at the controls, though if the rumble of a V8 exhaust is music to your ears, you can obviously go much louder. Even at the standard baffling, hearing protection is strongly suggested.

The powerful yard machine lights and a dashboard with back lit gauges complete the package to ease the burden of this normally reviled task. The custom 42 inch, two stage auger has a Chevrolet 10 bolt truck differential with spool and a centrifugal auger clutch with shear pin protection, further adding to the image of this "automotive theme blower."  As each unit is custom-built, optional extras for the snow blower are both diverse and outrageous as the base unit - there are unlimited auger choices from single to multistage designs and various motor combinations to suit the religious preferences of the customer (Chevy, Dodge Hemi, Ford) and such exotica as a V-10 or a diesel engine or remote starting can be accommodated. And if, after a while, you feel you've outgrown the 400 horses, this particular engine is well catered for in the performance modification area, with Lunati camshaft, Milodon Gear drive, Holley and Edelbrock components to name a few, and there's always the fuel injection option too, if you feel you need to throw the snow out of the county or ensure your seat in the "neighborhood blower blingster hall of fame."

• Like 6