Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

First time I had to get pads for the back, and get the rotors turned on the front discs?

Decided quickly to use the let the vehicle slow itself - then use the brakes. It was almost $150 in 1980 and that was too much!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

THEN they whine about driving like an old man.  Seriously? 

I get that, too! She's not THAT much younger than me, she just looks the part.

Well, the car is right about 65k and we bought it used. They may have been the original pads.

• Like 3

OMG, my wife is the same way.  On the gas until she has to step on the brakes........hard.  I am not allowed to say anything to her about it anymore, it's been 40+ years.  Whenever my wife drives and I am in the car,  I drop the visor on my hat so I can't see anything.  That is the only way not to raise the blood pressure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I told my wife it's not a race. She had never driven until she was 49, when she first arrived in the States. She's been in two accidents, neither of which was her fault. She's still learning,  I'm still learning.  I've told her I am not pointing out things to criticize,  but to make her driving safer.

• Like 2

very tactful ....

------------------------

I drive with a light foot. According to the computer in the car ...

average speed 32mph

fuel mileage 51mpg+

that's putting down these country roads at 35 -55mph The car doesn't stop rolling and I hardly use the brakes.

Oh... the other, on my way to pick up the wife from work, I noticed a motorcycle parked beside the road, on a bad turn.

Looked closer ... there was another motorcycle in the brush. So, I stop to see if I can help. I wasn't really dressed for bucking brush, but, I went into the catclaw.

Of course, it HAD to be a Harley. It was laying on the shifter and to stand it up, meant leaning it deeper into the brush. The riders made me feel young .... I haven't looked in the mirror lately, but, they gave me the impression of pushing 80. Got him up and going with nothing more than a bruised ego.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

very tactful ....

------------------------

I drive with a light foot. According to the computer in the car ...

average speed 32mph

fuel mileage 51mpg+

that's putting down these country roads at 35 -55mph The car doesn't stop rolling and I hardly use the brakes.

You won´t survive on german autobahns 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

You won´t survive on german autobahns 😂

I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix is kinda like that. 75mph is the speed limit, but, seeing folks driving 100mph+ isn't uncommon

the roads I drive... 20 mph turns. Winding roads. There is a stretch of state highway. That road is straight ... but, you have to dodge potholes. 65 is too fast for it

• Like 2

Wellllll, that's enough about female drivers.  Sorry but not sorry.  😂

About 50 and sunny today so some of the boys had their bikes out but not many.  Supposedly warming up this week but we'll see.  It's waaaaay too early for spring around here.  :)  

• Like 1

The general recommended speed limit in germany in the cities is 31 mph,  outside from cities and country roads  is 50 mph, on highways 75 mph and the general speed recommondation on the autobahn is 80 mph , but 1/3 of our autobahns are free from any speed limit , so there the porsches , bmw´s , mercedes, or whatever can speed up to max . 160 mph . 

• Like 3

On 2/4/2024 at 4:05 PM, Marvel said:

The Atlanta perimeter has folks driving 85mph+ (136km/h+). That's way over the posted speed limit.

the one, and only time I drove Atlanta....

AM rush. Raining. Yeah, they were doing 85mph.... and I was glad I was driving a Mustang GT. I don't know how fast I was going, to get the lane I needed ...I was kinda busy ...

Never again. Those people are crazy

• Haha 2

On 2/5/2024 at 12:07 AM, MicroMara said:

but 1/3 of our autobahns are free from any speed limit ,

Our roads aren't good enough to drive those speeds. 

I did a cross country road trip [Tucson to Chicago -sorta] a few years ago ... about 4000 miles. The roads weren't in good shape

• Like 1

Remember the late 60s or early 70s T-Birds?

Huge behemoths with the large "wheel cover" on the trunk?

I was in the backseat on 285 one night and some (^% in a van drove over the trunk while we were doing 65 or 70 in the Ford! It was the early 80s and we rode to the next exit to call about the hit & run.

85 in the Carolinas is just as bad as that perimeter used to be back then and worse, 55, 65, 70 doesn't matter. Folks in the slow lane have good temperaments cause they will be pushed to 80 in the slow lane.

No slow downs except on Future 73 N of Greensboro somewhere!

Some #*(^% drove his electricity hog on a nice cool crisp sunny day.

Dang, didn't he know better than that?

The thick black smoke ahead looked like a tanker had exploded but not enough smoke. median was melted up to the barrier 10 feet in, both lanes melted, outside perimeter scorched twenty feet out. Half the car was obviously melted too.

There was not a second vehicle involved.

Just crazy that they are allowed on the roads.

Was on that and others from 10 yesterday until I got home at 3:30 this morning. Got my scripts from Clt then the N side of the lake from Atlanta for my mower and some spirits I could not store. Had to wait for certain things to occur before I could delve into all involved with changing address and registration.

• Like 1

Sunny and a high of 48 they say.  The Duckburg locals know it's just a tease but they're saying next week too?  I'll make it and I totally avoid Hotlanta at ALL costs.  Sad to hear about Toby Keith.  Just another great gone way too soon.  Sad to hear it when I rolled out this morning.  

On 2/3/2024 at 12:15 PM, Dave1291 said:

The last one that says exit is usually 1/4 mile from the actual exit.  I get off the fuel then and just let it roll to the exit,

Ah..if you're on the interstate you are not supposed to decelerate until you are on the exit ramp......  just sayin'

• Like 1

Well, we are on lock down... There is an active shooter reported somewhere between the Catholic High School, and CHI Memorial Hosp. We are on the other side of the hospital from the school. Everyone is just still busy doing our work. We have active shooter drills once a month.

• Sad 3