Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

This thread drift has been fun to read!  Takeaway: for best two channel performance - toe the speakers in a little.

On another less punny note, I saw this and thought at Mark (the miner) bc he's loaded with these and he's probably already posted it somewhere along the line of this nearly 1500 page thread!

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone!

IMG_7223.JPG.ce86574fc6dd096ba5e94c4362010de2.JPG

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

Klipsch had one of those speakers at one time.

first_forty-162.JPG

first_forty-164.JPG

I was planning to buy that but the expense of removing my roof and first floor of the house to fit it in the basement next to the Jubes started to become a bit much. It was the cost to rent a crane that pushed me over budget.

• Like 4

• Moderators

It was big and heavy, and I have no idea how it would really sound, it's really old, I would imagine it could be designed better today ? That's a standard pallet under it for size. 

• Like 3

On 2/6/2014 at 9:33 AM, Tarheel said:

My morning routine has me enjoying a cup or two of non GMO, environmentally friendly, green, expensive, co-op purchased, coffee while reading the latest in the cable debate now on page 19 in one thread and a "hot topic" in two others.

Pursuing Cal's thread that wandered a bit and ended up in a discussion of coffee I would like to pick the brain of the serious coffee drinkers here and get some suggestions, tips, and advice.

Here are the particulars. I usually do not grind my own beans. I drink two cups in the morning....that's it. Expensive to me is more than $10 a pound. I am not particularly loyal to any brand or purveyor. I have a Keurig but routinely use a Mr. Coffee. I guess among serious coffee drinkers, to use an audio comparison, I am in the boom box stage.

So what would be a step up?

this my ever changing set up...

Mr coffee $25 6 months old bought @ bj's

Cuisinart burr grinder $25 after xmass  sell off @ bj's 

bj's coffee brand Wellesley $12 32oz this is a 10 day supply.

Starbucks pike place 32oz   $12 after $5 coupon

I go through coffee.makers like you use tp..

1 every 9 months to a year

local coffee shop that roast their on bean next stop

https://wakethehellup.com

IMG_20170308_140623_hdr.jpg

slide_4.jpg

IMG_20170307_181401_hdr.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/6/2014 at 10:06 AM, Tarheel said:

Eight O'clock.....use to grind that for folks when I was a bag boy at the A&P in the mid 60s. Always smelled wonderful.

I do have a small grinder and have recently ground (or is it grinded?) some Trader Joe's cheap beans.

Okay.....for you serious guys....I bet you drink yours black? No cream, sugar, artificial sweeteners? I neglected to say I use coconut cream and Stevia. That's got to go....right?

Bagboy @ a&p cool, Chuck !   I do enjoy eight o'clock  Columbian

• Like 3

3 hours ago, richieb said:

I was planning to buy that but the expense of removing my roof and first floor of the house to fit it in the basement next to the Jubes started to become a bit much. It was the cost to rent a crane that pushed me over budget.

looks like you can break it down to 5 pieces...

we 555 knock offs will break your buget. 

http://www.gip-laboratory.com/seihin555english.html

http://www.ebay.ph/itm/For-Sale-G-I-P-Laboratory-D5015A-Western-Electric-555-driver/321526069861

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dtel said:

It was big and heavy, and I have no idea how it would really sound, it's really old, I would imagine it could be designed better today ? That's a standard pallet under it for size. 

those where the cheap one

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/208799-western-electric-1928-how-far-have-we-come-last-100-years-25.html

• Like 4

• Moderators
3 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

I go through coffee.makers like you use tp..

1 every 9 months to a year

Bet you can't wear out mine, it was my grandfathers before i got it. :P

internet pic, lost the top for mine

675735284_tp.jpg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, dtel said:

Bet you can't wear out mine, it was my grandfathers before i got it. :P

internet pic, lost the top for mine

675735284_tp.jpg

I had a revere copper clad bottom coffee maker.. Like a idiot I , through it out.. I deserve a beat down for that one !

• Like 3

Here we go with the coffee maker subject again....you guys need to learn how to make real, good....did I say good....coffee.   Sorry to be blunt here (Carl) but, first of all, if you're not grinding your beans just before you brew, you are drinking crap.  Secondly, this is the way to make smooth, strong coffee the way it should be...a Chemex.  Easy as can be, and doesn't sit and bake on a burner for hours at a time.  Compare a cup from a Chemex to a cup from ANY automatic maker.  Just my humble opinion of course....

chemex.jpg

• Like 3