Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

12 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

This company is terrific, seed quality is outstanding, I am growing all of my plants this year from their seeds.

https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/peppers/hot/

Appear to be the real thing! Looks like I'll need to wait until next spring to plant as the reviews suggest they take a long time to bear. What's your experience, Jim? Could they be moved inside?

Dave

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Appear to be the real thing! Looks like I'll need to wait until next spring to plant as the reviews suggest they take a long time to bear. What's your experience, Jim? Could they be moved inside?

When did you want them to be moved inside?  Peppers really need full sun.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

When did you want them to be moved inside?  Peppers really need full sun.

One of the Texas planters commented on the seed site that they planted in May and they'd just started bearing at first frost. For me, that means plant first week of April instead...but I was thinking perhaps I could go ahead and plant one this year in a bucket and move it in at first frost. Yes, lack of sun would certainly impact them but I figured they might be better than nothing.

Dave

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mallette said:

One of the Texas planters commented on the seed site that they planted in May and they'd just started bearing at first frost. For me, that means plant first week of April instead...but I was thinking perhaps I could go ahead and plant one this year in a bucket and move it in at first frost. Yes, lack of sun would certainly impact them but I figured they might be better than nothing.

Dave

I have about 6 plants that I carried over from last year.  The plants are in pots and I garaged them when a frost hit.  They end up losing most of their leaves over the winter but still live.  When spring sun hits I chop them down to about 10 or 12 inches, similar to cutting back roses.  Basically they look like sticks with just a leaf here or there.  They come back with a vengeance.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Mallette said:

Dave

At one time we grew alot of vegetable plants for sale in the spring, we started the seeds around new years in a non heated greenhouse. Without a greenhouse they can be started around March inside and when they make leaves move them by a window for sun just to keep them slightly growing, they will really not take off until outside and it gets hot, but you won't be so far behind in May. They love the heat

If protected from frost overwinter what Carl is doing works well, they really take off when it gets hot because they already have enough roots to support a full plant, this really helps speed things up.

It's good to not reuse seeds from the plants you grow more than one year, each year the plant moves a little further away from what the specific type was. If each year you save some seeds from the new plants eventually around 3-4 years you have a plant that does not resemble the original at all. They revert back to something in the past bloodline which is usually not very desirable for taste or looks. One year is normally OK for this, then start over with good seeds, I have even seen this for what I have grown as ornamentals, they lose all the traits they originally had.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mallette said:

Dave

Or you can use grow lights....during the winter or all year.... Depending

On the crop you planted....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mallette said:

Yes, lack of sun would certainly impact them but I figured they might be better than nothing.

Realizing I am blessed with too much sunshine ... I wintered peppers in an east or south facing window. They will produce, too. They require vibration to pollinate. Mine didn't bear indoors until I brought the washing machine indoors. Spin cycle shook the place enough to make them set fruit.

instead of the washing machine .... a spirited listen session would prolly work.

The hummingbirds were most happy for me this AM. Sprayed the Jujube trees down. I know the hummingbird like the bathe.  They were cute as. Dancing in the spray. One landed w/i reach. It doesn't take much to make me happy. One day, one was sitting on a bean leaf, bathing the water that had accumulated. Wish I had a pic of that.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, dtel said:

It's good to not reuse seeds from the plants you grow more than one year

there are exceptions

Heirloom seed. They should have a lot more stability. ... Expect a certain amt of variation. But, they hold.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

They require vibration to pollinate.

Were still talking about the plants ?

Some people have used something like a Q tip and touched each flower, of the plant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

there are exceptions

Heirloom seed. They should have a lot more stability. ... Expect a certain amt of variation. But, they hold.

That's probably true the older the type the less chance for it to revert to something else.  I guess ?

With many of the newer plants they are designed for traits, I bought some baby banana plants years ago that were modified to take temperatures to 28 degrees before the leaves would wilt and the roots could take -10 degrees before dying.  They were about 6"-8" tall when I got them, problem was they were made from tissue cultures in a lab in Florida and it took a couple of years for them to even be able to stand full sun. Bananas love full sun but when they mess with things there is often some side effects, these are ornamental bananas not edible ones. They now are fine and i have separated them to use in a few places out by the bar since they look tropical. We get in the teens on occasion here and I didn't want to use real tropicals and deal with them in the winter but wanted a few things that look tropical out around the bar. 

To keep them pure like in named Japanese Maples they graft the tops on to standard green seedlings to assure they are the same, as much as they can be. Big difference in price for this kind of plant.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mallette said:

Dave

Honestly Dave, I would wait until next spring to start yours.  I started my seeds in starter soil under grow lights with warming mats first of March.  They do take a while to germinate, up to a couple of weeks before you see the first sprouts, but depends on the specific type.  They are fairly slow to start off, but once you move them outside when they get full sun, they really take off.  I have not yet harvested any of mine yet, although I do have a lot of flowers and some fruit starting to form.  The mild peppers such as Padron and Pepperoncini will fruit much earlier, as a matter of fact I just picked a dozen Padron this morning.  Having them for dinner tonight....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mallette said:

Thanks for the tips. Really jonsin' for some, but I'll wait. 

Dave

As I said, I will send you some Thai peppers when I get some.  Those plants are loaded with flowers, and it's hot as heck here right now, perfect weather for them.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Dave

I can send you some hot peppers pretty much any time.  They grow so fast I'm having a hard time finding uses for them.  I just finished a batch of sauce that I fermented in wine for a month.  This weekend I have 2 more recipes that I want to try. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

As I said, I will send you some Thai peppers when I get some.  Those plants are loaded with flowers, and it's hot as heck here right now, perfect weather for them.

Had them at least two meals a day when living there. Northern Thai food is dependent on them. 

Dave

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I can send you some hot peppers pretty much any time.

Really only the Thai chilies I can't get...at least until next summer. Appreciate the offer, though. Pequins grow like weeds around here. Friend of mine makes a great smoked pequins out of them. On their own, they are pretty much just raw heat.

Dave

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Had them at least two meals a day when living there. Northern Thai food is dependent on them. 

Dave

I accidentally bit into a very special Thai pepper when I was having a bowl of Tom Ka Gai in a restaurant in Bangkok.  I had to get up from the table, leave the restaurant, find a glass of milk and some ice, and walk around for about 15 minutes....The waitress thought I was having a stroke.....I will never forget it....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Dave

Get some and grow them it looks to be cheap and if we have a really good year or a late winter you will be OK.

You could do like Carl did keep them alive through winter and cut them back in the spring.

• Like 1