Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

8 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

Do the flagship bose 901's sound like

A pair of klipschorns  ?

Is this a joke? 901s sound like nine little speakers with a load of equalization driven by a small nuclear reactor. They violate everything PWK stood for and they sound accordingly. I have been told that under ideal circumstances they can sound good, but those circumstances are so rare is to have ensured I never heard them sound like anything but overequalized, over driven, itty bitty speakers.

Dave

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dtel said:

I doubt it but to be honest it's been 30 years since a good friend had some and they were in his pool room, which meant when I heard them I was probably pretty messed up.

But at one time I wanted some badly, glad I got past that. :lol:

I had a pair given to me... With 5 blown drivers and the rest to be refoamed.... And had to find a active bose eq and speaker stands...

by the time I was done.... My speaker

repair man said .. I should get a pair

of la scalas.... Sold the 901's back to

my friend.... And for $100 more got a pair of la scalas.... And never looked BACK....that was over 20 years ago...

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Is this a joke? 901s sound like nine little speakers with a load of equalization driven by a small nuclear reactor. They violate everything PWK stood for and they sound accordingly. I have been told that under ideal circumstances they can sound good, but those circumstances are so rare is to have ensured I never heard them sound like anything but overequalized, over driven, itty bitty speakers.

Dave

You forgot one word, overpriced. :)

He was teasing me for what I said about the multi cell horn not comparing to the 402.

A "small nuclear reactor" that's funny, but close they do need power. It takes alot of power to suck that much.

Edit; so you did have some, I had no idea. 

4 minutes ago, dtel said:

It takes alot of power to suck that much.

TRVTH

5 minutes ago, dtel said:

Good Lord man...you of all people know better than that. I knew BS when I saw it the moment they came out with "Ho Hum, another major breakthrough." Amar Bose was a marketing wizard, not a speaker genius, just like Bill Gates was to computers. Both did terrible damage to great things.

Dave

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Mallette said:
9 minutes ago, dtel said:

Good Lord man...you of all people know better than that. I knew BS when I saw it the moment they came out with "Ho Hum, another major breakthrough." Amar Bose was a marketing wizard, not a speaker genius, just like Bill Gates was to computers. Both did terrible damage to great things.

Dave

No that was my sorry quick posting, i didn't know Dirtmudd had some..

Your right about the marketing thing, it should say "better sound through marketing".

• Moderators

I don't know how you find all these videos, although I do get sucked in sometimes and before you know it your watching something that has nothing to do with where you started watching. 

Some are really funny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

That would be funny, someone needs to make some funny accents with attitudes for these phone apps that talk like the GPS driving directions and others. The one Christy uses on her phone works really well and it does almost sound like it gets an attitude at times if you pull off to stop for something. This could be really funny if done right.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, babadono said:

Balderdash.

And the k400 metal exponential flare horn originals in my KHorns and Lascalas wanna be wooden tractrix horns too, but they're NOT:)

So my la scalas do too.. But it's cost

prohibitive to me... So I must and do

except the metal horn in my la scallas....

and the do not ring what so ever...

• Like 2

• Moderators

Carl this is for you, since you have some 396's in your garage.

This was when they first were shown to everyone and it was at 2011 Pilgrimage. They were so new Roy had them built for this and they were not even painted yet. He put a fake screen up so people couldn't see them because he knew everyone would think they were much bigger and he wanted it be a surprise, he uncovered them during the day.  This was at fair Park and the stage faces a few baseball fields and this setup covered all of them easily as you could imagine. There was also row of subs in front of the fence, a dozen 396's and the same amount of subs, it was very nice, a little shocking really.

pilgrimage_07_(34).JPG

pilgrimage_2011-1_(239).JPG

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dtel said:

Carl this is for you, since you have some 396's in your garage.

Seems they've gone through some improvements or at least some changes since then.  Those were pre-mump and had 2 ports instead of one.  I'll bet they sounded incredible though.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Probably did go through some changes, they were so new they had terminal cups on the back borrowed from a different model.

It did sound great, it could have been prototypes for all know ? They were a little rough,  not sanded or anything.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Soylent is people.  And it's here!

If so I would have thought it would have been higher in protein. 

They really take the fun out of eating the way they describe it. 

Food is much easier when it’s Drink.

Jam packed schedule? Trouble with the snooze button? Soylent Drink gives you a balanced meal of engineered nutrition—no questions asked—all in less time than it takes to microwave a burrito, let alone boil water. Twist...lift...and eating is solved.

Research & Engineering. It’s our favorite part of eating.

Every single Soylent ingredient provides essential nutrition.

Mornin' all

Finally broke down and bought a card of AA batteries for my camera.  Got me thinking about plugging a few in my transmitter and crank up the R/C stuff.  Never was a "pilot" ... more a crash test dummy.  I would get parts to be tested for durability.... once folks figured out that I did know what I was talking about ... just no talent. My hand/eye was never good. Funny thing, I was not happy with ones that were lame enough for me to fly. No challenge.

Weather is working up to rain.  There were a couple brave [but sacrificial] cumulus clouds yesterday. The sun got them. Have to lawnmower the yard today.  Push [and I mean PUSH] mower. No motor ... but it works every time I do push it.

I can start to get excited about my Scalas.  2 months will go by fast. The rainy season will be on us... That is always an interesting time of year.  Things a lot more reliable now. The electricity goes bye bye

Still a good idea to have water, a change of clothes, , non-perishable food in your car. Getting 45 miles can be an overnight trip.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's time for Oldtimer's  hot sauce special editions.

First up is Solstice Scream, a blend of habanero and Trinidad scorpions.  This is a very simple pure chile head sauce, strained and sold in 3 ounce bottles for $5 each.  Made with Druidic incantations on the summer solstice.  3 ounce bottles, TSA approved for all of your travel needs.

Next is Mordor Mud, a pure chocolate habanero sauce.  Nothing chocolate about the flavor, just the color.  Same 3 ounce size and strained, no chunks.  Stolen from Mordor itself by brave little Hobbits who brought the ill gotten gains to me in the middle of the night.

Limited quantities so put your orders in soon!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It's time for Oldtimer's  hot sauce special editions.

First up is Solstice Scream, a blend of habanero and Trinidad scorpions.  This is a very simple pure chile head sauce, strained and sold in 3 ounce bottles for $5 each.  Made with Druidic incantations on the summer solstice.  3 ounce bottles, TSA approved for all of your travel needs.

Next is Mordor Mud, a pure chocolate habanero sauce.  Nothing chocolate about the flavor, just the color.  Same 3 ounce size and strained, no chunks.  Stolen from Mordor itself by brave little Hobbits who brought the ill gotten gains to me in the middle of the night.

Limited quantities so put your orders in soon!

I'll take two of each.  PM me with details please.  Love the names.

• Like 2